I'm back in Michigan after my week of interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sasafras1000, Jul 17, 2007.

1. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Hello. I made it back from NC and I would say it was a pretty fruitful trip. A lot more came out of it than I had thought. I am still waiting to hear for sure if I got the job at the school I want badly. I am about to burst because there is so much I have to do if I am going to move. I ended up calling the HR director on Friday and asked him what the process of being recommended was. He said he just had to call references and do a background check. So it gives me hope that the job could be mine (I have no worries about the background check or references). Does anyone know how long a background check takes? I got fingerprinted here in Michigan and had a background check done, but I am not really sure how long the process is. Anyway so here I sit waiting.

I ended up calling the principal at the school I decided not to take. I was so nervous calling - even more nervous than doing an interview which is soooo stupid. Thank goodness I got him on the first try, I just thanked him for taking the time to interview me, but after careful thought I decided decline his offer. He was nice about it. I am also sending him a follow up thank you card for all his time. Whew, I'm glad that's over.

Then I had my interview in Gaston on Monday. I didn't think it went great, but then again maybe it did. The principal I interviewed with told me she had a 4th grade opening and sent me to her school so the vice principal could give me a tour. It was a nice school and he answered all my questions. I e-mailed the principal and thanked her just now. I still really want the the first job, but this other one seems great too. I just keep hearing what a scary city Charlotte is. My boyfriend wants to be a city cop in Charlotte or Raleigh and everyone keeps telling me Charlotte is dangerous; lot's of cops get killed. That doesn't make me all that happy, but that's what he wants to do.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your advice and encouragement. I will keep you posted on what happens.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

Sounds VERY promising!!!

4. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

I live in Michigan also but my family lives in NC and my sister did not think the crime was any worse than any other large city and of course it would depend WHERE in Charlotte you lived.

http://www.cityrating.com/crimestatistics.asp

Check the above link for statistics.

Good luck!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

Whenever I have had to get a background check here in Michigan, I have waited in the office and they gave me the results nearly on the spot. Both child care centers I have participated in (co-op in High School, unpaid internship in college) have required them.

6. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Fellow Michiganders, or shall I say Michiganians. Oh, how misery loves company. Please tell me the job market has been as tough on you as it has on me.

I wish I could relocate to find work, but undortunately my husband (the breadwinner) is well established in his career here in Mich and wouldn't find similar pay anywhere else. Not to mention the fact my newly teenaged daughter is very well adjusted (oxymoron, I know), as is my elem aged son. And, gosh darn it, I just love having 4 seasons!

I have to think that the market will bust open in antoher year or so.
    What do you think?

7. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I knew coming out of school it would be a challenge to get a job in Michigan. I heard stories after stories of people not being able to find jobs or only getting a job because of a connection. I decided I didn't want the stress so I set my sights out of state. I looked a little in Michigan, but once I saw that there were actually jobs in other states I put my efforts on them.

I have heard that after about 5 to 7 years Michigan will be in need of teachers. My host teacher and my neighbor who just retired both said they watch it go in cycles every five to seven years. So there is hope, but I can't wait. I am young enough to where I can easily pack and move. I will of course miss my friends and family, but they can visit and I can always visit too. It would be different if I had a husband with a job and kids that liked it here. I just have a boyfriend who is trying to find a police job and Michigan is not good for that either, so it works out that we can both move.

8. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

Hey I hope you get the first job you want. If you do move the charlotte area the crime rate is high but its not a bad city. Also my father is a Charlotte cop and from a cops point of view it is a great city to work in. They really want to make good cops and they give their cops lotts of resources. So if he wants to be a city cop Charlotte is his place. Raleigh not sure about, I bet they do have many resouces since we are the capitol. Good luck!! Also if it is wake county that does the background check it took mine about to weeks to go through. Then probably a few more days before they called me. Keep us updated!

9. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Sasafras
    I live in Charlotte. It's not a bad place to live as born2teach stated. Believe me it is not as bad as NY where in certain parts people, and cops get shot everyday. Two cops did get shot here and died and the media here made a big thing about it....interupted programming to show the funerals. They made a big thing about it is because that rarely happens here. The last time a cop got shot in the line of duty was several years ago.
    This is not a bad place to live and teach. It's just that certain areas you have to stay away from...just as it would be in Michigan you have your good areas and your bad areas. Gaston on the other hand I am not too sure about. I only know of what i hear on the news and most of the time it's not good. You ahve to ask someone who lives there to get the full feel of things.
    I hope this helps.
    Good Luck to you. I hope you get the job you want :)

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

To all of the North Carolinians (is that the correct term?). I have an interview in Mooresville on Monday. It looks like a great school, and greatschools.net has it rated as a 9! Anyway, I am VERY excited about this, but while I am down there, I will need to look for apartments. However, that area seems to be a bit pricey for me. Even Huntersville is pretty expensive! So, do you know of some nice affordable apartments near Mooresville? I am hearing they are all being over run by the NASCAR Tech students! Thanks to all who can help me!!

11. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

North Carolina must be a hot spot this year for interviews / jobs! LOL!!! I had a phone interview last week for one county, 2 more this week, and I'm going down next week for 2 interviews. East Coast areas mainly....hmmmm Well...Good LUCK to us all, may we all find the best place for us where ever it may be :)

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

That is because people are flocking to NC, so they can't keep up with all the new students. Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities. I am sure Raleigh can't be too far behind. But, well, that's good for us!

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

To my fellow Michiganders, LEAVE! I'm not a native Michigander, but we've been here for almost 18 years. The economy is horrible and jobs are next to impossible to find. Schools are cutting positions, the state trys to cut funding for schools mid year.

Ok, I do love my 4 seasons, both my husband & I have jobs, he's not in education, but his job is shaky. I'm a teacher in a charter school. My children, a sophmore in high school, and a 6th grader, don't want to move. We have no family here.

If the kids were younger we'd leave in a heartbeat.

14. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

Raleigh and Charlotte are GROWING and this year we opened 49 year round schools just in raleigh. People are flocking because we have jobs!! It is really a great state to live in. The roads SUCK but really overall I love this state. The summers aren't deadly and the winters aren't horrible. (There are a few extreme days) Education wise the state is working hard to make this state compete with others. The pay was one of the lowest in the nation, BUT last year we got an 8 percent raise, this year we will get 5 percent and next year the hope is we will get another 5. They want to get up the the national average!! It also depends on what county you teach in because of the supplement. Wake and Charlotte Meck are the two highest paying counties in NC. Good luck with the jobs!!!

15. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Thank you for all the feedback. Both the Charlotte area and Raleigh are growing. I know Johnston County is either the 2nd or 1st fastest growing county in NC (it's next to Raleigh). I ended up getting the job in Johnston (see post) so I love NC right now! I really did enjoy my visit and whoever said the roads suck - I agree, but so do Michigan roads. The pay is a little low, but it's more than I'm making now and to me the cost of living doesn't seem bad. I looked at apartments in the area I will be moving to and I thought they were pretty cheap (compared to what I pay now).

Seriously, good luck to all of you who have interviews there. I know for a fact there are plenty of jobs there. Make the HR people your friends and they will hook you up (or contact principals directly).