I'm addicted to my classroom!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Aug 6, 2010.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

Vent about myself:::::::
    Ok, I am NOT a new teacher. This is my 7th year to teach, but I love working on my classroom! It's like a major vice. I love to plan, plan, plan, - always trying to make things better! I just can't seem to pry myself away from school. We have 2 weeks till school starts (well inservice starts the 16th). I feel a compulsion to have everything ready before inservice.

I should be at home relaxing while I can, but I can't. I have to be in my class every day before school starts so I have to have things perfect. I know once school starts I will be too busy to make sure things are setup and flow nicely.

Man, I get on my own nerves!

3. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 6, 2010

wow.... are you my twin!

4. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 6, 2010

I'm like that, too. I know that when everyone gets back, people will be in and out asking questions, talking, looking for help, etc. I like the peace and quiet over the summer. I went in today to clean out my closet and unpack things, and I don't go back until after you do! OK, confession: we had an interview on Monday. I saw my floor was done, so I actually went in then for a couple of hours, too!

5. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I keep thinking about my classroom, but the A/C isn't on and it's just too darn hot to be in there. I dropped off all of my boxes the other day and thought I was going to keel over from the heat. As soon as the air gets turned on, I'm afraid I'll be at school as long as they let me stay in the building!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 6, 2010

I always feel guilty somehow if I am in the classroom over the summer when I "should be relaxing", but then I think about other folks who don't have the summer off...like my husband, he doesn't feel bad about working. The only difference is, he's getting paid to be there...

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

Yes! When everyone is back we all get busy talking, planning. So I do all my other stuff in the room now. I just hate that I feel I have to because I know I will long for summer days in a few weeks.

I don't need anyone else to drive me crazy = I do it good enough myself!:D

8. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I think, like the children, we all get excited with a new year and new possibilities! In May, I can't wait for vacation. In August, I'm ready for a routine. Your room is YOURS and you get to do or undo as you please (within limitations, of coarse). And it's your craft. It's what you do! This will be my 12th year teaching and although I'm itching to get back it's taking me all I have to not go in. Of coarse, I taught summer school in June and my room was ready then. Everyday, I went in 30 minutes early and stayed 30 minutes later.:lol:

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 6, 2010

You are so funny, because you are exactly like me! Today was my first day away from my classroom in the past week, and all I could think about was what I could be doing if I were there. I made myself stay home and clean, but I didn't want to!

I'm the same exact way, though. I'm always trying to think of what I can do better.

10. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I am exactly the same way!! My mom was teasing me the other day and said that I always get to go back to school shopping!

I love working on my classroom.

11. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 6, 2010

i went out to dinner last night with 4 of my coworkers... they were making fun of me at first for how much i have been doing this summer. however, towards the end of the dinner i think i made them nervous and they were telling me how they had to catch up to me now.

oh,and we can't get into our classrooms until the 23, we start Septmeber 1st... the time is killing me, i want in!!!!

12. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

Let's see, the last five years, I have had to pack-up my classroom and move to a different classroom. So because of that, I go in sporadically throughout the summer to unpack my boxes and organize my materials and figure out how the layout of my room is going to look like.

I enjoy going in a couple of days during the summer where no one is there. I get a lot accomplished without people there. In fact, I work with another teacher (co-teaching model) and sometimes do not tell her when I go in so that I can get my things done. I love working in my room and try to make it better and more exciting for my students. I do not go back until Sept. 1st.

I am going away for the next two weeks so I won't be able to work in my room. A time to relax and go to the shore!!!!

Also, I am hoping to stay in the same classroom next year...

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 6, 2010

I did this for years until I realized that I deserve a life. I really do. I was taking away time from other important aspects of my life. Having children helped me to find my balance. Good luck!

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

yes I have kids and bring them with me to "help". They enjoy it too. Yes I know my weirdness has rubbed off on them.

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2010

Jem once said that the decorating and getting ready was her "hobby". I liked that explanation and have adopted it. I really really enjoy organizing and making posters on Publisher and buying little doodads.

On the other hand, I seriously cut out buying school supplies for the kids except for buying a few composition books when they were on sale for 50 cents. I bought about 14 of them. And today was the second day of school and about 14 of the 5th graders still hadn't a composition book even though it was on the list sent home and posted at Open House.

So what did my mean stingy self do? I recorded their names, gave them a book, and told them they owe me 50 cents. And that I had better not catch them eating any ice cream at lunch until they had paid me. Hey. I'm not Wal-Mart. Take care of your kid. Step up, parent, you can afford to buy your child a composition book instead of waiting for someone to take care of it for you.

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2010

You are a twin of mine, also... right down to the 7th year. I AM going to have nearly everything done before inservice. :cool: I feel like my room is going to be truly sensational this year... I love the theme, layout... everything.

17. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I really think going in over the summer is fine. You can go in at your own pace, sleep in etc. The more organized you are, the better.

So, I don't think anyone should feel guilty. Spending the time in the classroom is enjoyable. It helps your school year run smoother.

Someone said to me that teaching was not a job, but your life's work. I think that is very much how it is. :)

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

I feel much better that I am not the only one that gets true joy from being in my room. I guess it is my hobby. That even sounds better than an addiction.:rolleyes:

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2010

Hi, my name is Patti, and I am a classroom-aholic. I was unable to get into my classroom this summer because they turned the air off and, believe me, you do NOT want to try to work in this state without it, lol! Technically, we aren't supposed to have access until Monday, but I already have my key! I've been in my classroom every day for the past week. I don't technically have a theme, but I have been painting like crazy. Most of my kiddos don't have a nice place to call home, so I like to make our classroom look as nice and "cozy" as I can afford. Luckily, my hubby considers my teaching as a ministry, so he doesn't fuss (too much) about the expense!

20. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

I am so happy I'm not the only one!

21. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

I am the same way, but different. I can't think clearly until my room is up. So, I hurried and put my room together so now I can do what I like best - plan how/what I will teach and improve.
    I am on my 3rd professional book this summer (and one of them, When Readers Struggle, was not easy! Infact I read it last summer as well). After this one, I will be done until next summer. I can't read them during the year.
    So when everyone else is decorating their room and fighting for the laminating machine, I'll be sitting at my table with the curriculum sprawled out and doing various things to prepare me for the year.

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2010

I believe my teaching is like a "ministry" in a right as well. This is what I am meant to do. I love doing it, and I know I will encourage my kids to be creative someday as well. They will hopefully very much enjoy helping me out when they are old enough.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2010

So I was talking with my mom the other day about dh and I's work habits. We leave the house at 7am and get back around 8pm. We eat dinner at 9. I felt guilty because we're thinking of a family and it doesn't seem 'normal' to live like this. And she said something really powerful to me-there is no normal. I've embraced this and it's helped ease my mind about so many things in our life. Both dh and I are workaholics. I'd rather be working than just about anything. Whether it's in my classroom (entire summer has been unpaid), or on Sprout (14 hour days in the garage), I love it. Dh also loves working-business trips, presentations, events, etc. We relax in the evenings together on the couch, with our laptops, working. This is our normal. When we have a child, we'll involve them in our careers as one of the ways we spend time with them-my school starts at 3 months for babies, so they will be with me all day just downstairs from my classroom, and will pretty live in my classroom with me. They'll spend some Saturdays at events for dh.

So anyhow, make your own normal. If you love working on your classroom, good for you! It makes you happy. You have to spend your time somehow, so why not working on your career? And if your children enjoy spending that time with you, that's their normal. My mom is in education, and it was certainly MY normal! ;)

Maybe I'm just done having other people define what I should and should not be. Feel free to join the movement!

24. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 7, 2010

I'm the same way, too! As we get closer to the start of school, I will literally want to spend the night in my room. It's so much easier to go in now when the building is still quiet and work then it is to wait for the official start. And what's even stranger to me is that I have so many teacher friends who keep telling me how bored they are, and I'm thinking, "then why aren't you working on your classroom?" LOL

25. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 7, 2010

Me too! (or three... or four... or sixteen...) ;)

My mom was a classroom teacher from the time I could talk until just a few years ago and every summer I LOVED helping her set up her classroom!

The days where she let me put stickers on paper were the best! :)

Next week is in-service and like most of you I have gone in all week to set things up.

I have also spent lots of time reviewing the new grade's curriculum. I tried to do this in my house, but I do so much better at school....!
    I could easily say this is because I am at a new school... but the truth is I have always gone in before teacher work week!

I likely have dozens of questions next week and can get to know my colleagues!

26. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

:D:D:D:D:agreed: I really am glad to know there is sense to what I do. So many others walk by and notice I've been at school all week and just shake their heads. I like being there. My classroom means alot to me and I want that environment to be "perfect" for the kids and I to work in all year. My husband thinks I am crazy for working without pay, but I do see this as a calling and just don't think about needing to be paid for setting up things the way I like (which is probably why they don't give teachers much time to set up - they know we will come do it anyways).

I feel like my year goes better if I thoroughly plan and set things up. I also like the feeling of being done when everyone is rushing around trying to get things done, standing in line for the laminator or copier. It makes my start to the year more smooth and enjoyable. Maybe I'm not so crazy after all. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

27. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 7, 2010

That's how I feel...My co-workers frequently joke with me about going in so much, but I know people probably do think I'm a little pathetic. The things is, I live in a tiny apartment that is always spotless (I organized my 2 closets probably 5 times this summer alone), my boyfriend works all day, I don't have any kids, and my family and friends live an hour away (and they work all day). I'm broke, so I don't have errands to run every day, or shopping to do. Also, I do not have a TV or the internet at home.

Every day I sleep in, go work out, and by the time I shower and get ready it's 11 and I'm bored. School is fun for me, like a hobby. I know it might not be like this my entire life. When I have kids, I'm sure I'll spend 1 week getting my classroom ready, instead of an entire summer. But for now, this is what I do and I like it!

Also, all through college I took 18-21 credits per semester, while working 2 jobs. I'm a busy person! I find time to relax and read every day, but I like to be busy and feel productive. That's just my personality.

28. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2010

I know I'm weird to my friends who leave their jobs at work when they punch out. I try to explain that I am a teacher. It's not what I do. It's what I am. I know my mission in life is to be a teacher. My own childhood was so messed up and confusing. I experienced the loss of a parent at an early age then being sent away to a Children's Home in a foreign country and being separated from my siblings. I guess I want to be a part of something good in a person's childhood memories. I know the kinds of secrets and pain a child might be living with. I want to help ease their path through childhood. I think that's why I always tend to favor those kids everyone else find to be intolerable. There's a reason they act out. We might never be privy to those reasons but some of us can empathize. Afterall, every child deserves a good education. It's what's going to help them in the long run. So, teaching, planning, decorating, organizing, reflecting...all of those things are what keeps me ticking so I can teach.

29. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 7, 2010

I should also point out that I don't think negatively of teachers who go home right away at the end of the day. I think some other teachers in my school feel that I might think this way, based on comments they make to me about working so much. I understand that they have children with busy schedules. I don't.

30. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

Same!

The teacher across the hall is able to come in 5 mins before, and leave 5 mins after. I tried to do that last year. I DID do that last year. As I reflected upon my year, I was disgusted. I only did enough to get by. I am not that kind of person. Being in athletics since I was 3 taught me dedication and work ethic.
    I think the teacher across the hall is great! In fact, she had my son in her class last year. Somehow, she has that talent where she is able to be effective and only work real hours.
    I, on the other hand, am not that gifted! I need to spend extra time analyzing data and making plans with that data. I like to research and try new things. I have to take extra time to feel like I'm making a difference.

31. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

I'm the same way; I love love love working on my classroom. I couldn't wait to get in there this past week and start working. Unfortunately, because of the way things worked out, I ended up only being able to be in there for about 45 minutes. I'm so excited to get back in there this week and really get to work. I've been back-to-school shopping all summer!

32. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 7, 2010

This is actually my 1st year and I get my first kids on Tuesday for staggered entry... and I woke up this morning with every intention of wanting to go by the school.. but I have been there everyday for the past 2 weeks. Figured it was time that I gave myself a break... but my mind is on every aspect of the classroom that I want to be setup just right! As well as cleaning out the cabinets and discarding papers that I wont need.

I inherited the classroom and everything in it from a teacher who retired... so you can imagine the loads of information and PAPERS that she has collected over the years.

So ladies I'm addicted to my room as well!

33. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

My mentor and I worked on our room for 2 days without a/c and had an absolute blast! Even though it wasn't fun letting my mentor see me sweat more than I have the entire summer, and see my face match my hot pink shirt (it was around 104 here last week), we still got a lot done and had a great time doing it. Even when I wasn't there, I found myself thinking of ways to make our room even better.

I can't imagine what I'm going to be like when I have my own classroom!

34. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 7, 2010

I bought with my aide an ugly chair for our book area. :D It's comfy though, and at only 20 bucks from a thrift shop---can't beat it.

I need to go to my classroom and drop off all the stuff I've been buying this summer. I loooove shopping for my classroom. It's so satisfying. :D :D

35. caslan

caslan Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

I hear you :) I ♥ working in my classroom! I have spent several days a week in my room for the past few weeks. When I'm not there, I'm planning and creating at home. It's about to drive my husband nuts! The only problem is that when I am in my classroom, I feel like I should be at home, and when I'm at home, I feel like I need to be in my room! I've even been desperate enough to go and take all 4 of my kids (ages 8,7,4 and 3) with me on several occasions!

36. meltua

meltua Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

I'm so happy to read all these posts. I'm also at the school lots in the summer and I stay late during the school year. But hey, I have no kids, my husband works late, and like someone already said- teaching is my job and my hobby.
    I feel so good about getting so much prepared over the summer and not having to stress at the last minute. I would much rather do things in the summer at my own pace. And I think being able to sleep in and show up anytime you want (and dressed as sloppy as you want) makes it so much more fun!

37. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 7, 2010

I love spending time working in my room before everyone else gets there. I start back on Tuesday, kids come Wednesday, and I will be calmly doing little odds and ends while everyone else is fighting over the copy machines, wrestling each other for the butcher paper and laminators, and trying to put everything away. There were a few teachers who have already been back, but only two others like me.

My kids like to help out a few of the days. They help with the desks and supplies. I figure as long as they still want to go (for the low cost of breakfast at Dennys) then I will keep taking them.:)

38. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2010

While I enjoy getting my room together, it's not an obsession of mine. We had to pack all our rooms, so I am NOT looking forward to unpacking. In fact, I am dreading it. So I will have a lot of not-so-fun stuff to do before I can get to the fun part of decorating my room...

39. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 7, 2010

I've been in college all summer. I've been completely swamped. This week my big project was to gather all the papers I never filed my first year of teaching and make folders and binders for them and be ready for the year. While I was doing that, I made notes of things I need to be thinking about, looking at, doing, etc. I had a hard time telling myself to let it go. This week is devoted to myself and my family. I haven't had that break yet. So why is it that I really want to get started?! Lol. I'm trying my best to ignore some of these enticing threads. I really just want to start unpacking and decorating so I can start doing the real work of planning.

Let it go. Let it go. Let it go.

I am only giving myself 1 extra week before school starts to do it all.

Let it go. Let it go. Let it go.

I'll make it. :)

The good news is I'm not nearly as nervous as I was this time last year. The bad news is I recognize just how much I should have prepared BEFORE school starts for an optimal start. Oh well. At least I know where to start!

Then the other part of me says that 1 week of vacation this year was just not enough. I don't even want to get started yet I do. Such mixed feelings. :p

40. NYTeacher83

NYTeacher83 Rookie

Aug 8, 2010

Summer Classroom Work

I changed buildings for this coming school year. My new room was used for summer school. I knew I wouldn't be able to get in during summer school, so I had my new room setup after the first two days of summer vacation.

Summer school just finished last week. I will now be in quite a bit preparing and whatnot. During the school year, I am at work by 6:30 in the morning, and I usually leave about 4:00. The students arrive at 8:20 and leave at 3:05.

My personality is one where I go around saying hello to my colleagues in the morning. I find that if I get there early, I can get a lot accomplished before I become distracted! Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but this system works well for me!

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 8, 2010

That's my system too. I get there sometime between 5 and 6:30 depending on the day of the week (Monday I spend more time than Friday) and what I need to do.