I'm a Substitute No Longer...FINALLY!!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 23, 2011

Well guys, the time has finally come for me. I'm no longer a substitute after being one for about 10 years & being an RSP teacher for a yr in between that. :dizzy:

I'm now a Speech-Language Pathologist (aka Speech Therapist) & I'm so thrilled!

It's been great posting in this section of the board, but I'll still post in here from time to time.

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 23, 2011

Happy for you!!

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2011

Thats so wonderful! When do you start?

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 23, 2011

Thanks so much donziejo & TamiJ. I start Monday, the 26th! I really wish I could have this last relaxing weekend, but no, it's crunch time since it's my last week of my tough grad school class, so I'll be buried in school work! :dizzy:

6. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Sep 24, 2011

Congratulations!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 24, 2011

Thanks a lot sunshine!

8. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Sep 24, 2011

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! Did you recently finish up your endorsements or did it just take that long to get a job? I know it is hard, sometimes, to get an offer that is the right fit.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

Well, those are two exciting things! A new job, and you are in your last class for grad school. Just keep on keeping on, you can do it! Best of luck to you. :)

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 24, 2011

Thank you very much SpecialEdTeache & thanks again TamiJ! Oh no guys! I'm nowhere near done w/ my grad school prgram. I'm 5 months into my 3-year program, so I don't graduate until 2014, so I still have a lot to learn.

I was never trying to get an SLP job, except applying 1x about a year ago because I know they can hire people even BEFORE they begin grad school.

When I said how I'm in my last week of my tough class, this coming week is the last week of one of the classes I'm taking NOW.

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2011

Congratulations!!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 24, 2011

Thank you tracykaliski!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 26, 2011

Well, it's my 1st day at my new job guys...the 1st day of NOT being a sub since my 1st day of special ed teaching back in Aug 2006!

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 26, 2011

Nice, Ms. I. You've certainly earned your opportunity. GL!

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2011

Congrats!!! Hope you have an amazing first year.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 26, 2011

Thanks a lot John Lee. I've enjoyed reading your posts & I'll continue to see you around the board!

17. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 5, 2011

Good for you

one less class means one less thing to worry about....
    Good luck with grad school and you have chosen wisely (OMG< I feel like Yoda.lol) and I am sure you will be hired in no time when you graduate.

thesub

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2011

thesub, thank you. Actually I was already hired on Sept 22nd. THIS is the career I plan on having for my lifetime career...the next 25-35 yrs. :)

19. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Oct 5, 2011

Congrats Ms I!!!!

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2011

Thank you Teachling!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2011

So, how has it been going? How are your kids, your coworkers, your caseload?

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 6, 2011

Thank you for asking Alice! :) I haven't met the kids yet at one of my 2 schools. I'll start working w/ them next wk. The other school is a nice grp of kids!

The coworkers are nicer at one school than the other, but that's OK. I'll say hello anyway. The P at one is great. I hardly see him, except briefly in passing from time to time & he stays out of sight. The other P is pretty good. So far, I hardly see her except for the bimonthly morning COST meetings (similar to SST meetings).

My caseload at ea school is not bad, about 22-24 kids. The director tried to get me one of the lowest caseloads.

How are things w/ you Alice? :)

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2011

Good, thanks. Finally settling down now that we've been in school a month.

Today we had a prayer service followed by breakfast. The kids all bring in food--bagels, juice,brownies and so on-- and each homeroom has a feast.

Well, take 35-40 kids in a homeroom, and ask them all to bring somthing in. Even allowing for the kids who forget, that's a LOT of food!!!!

Everything that was unopened went to the local food bank; we loaded a whole truck. But all the homemade stuff, and all the opened stuff, is stuff they can't take, so it ended up in the faculty room. Let's just say my cheese and crackers for lunch pretty much went upeaten.

Then dinner was a dinner in celebration of Catholic School teachers-- lots of the local Catholic elementary school teachers joined us. We had a cocktail hour followed by dinner-- filet mignon and salmom.

I am too stuffed to move!!!!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 8, 2011

Today I found out that the male P that I thought will stay out of sight, is one of those types of principals who doesn't care about speech (like many P's for some unknown reason) & that he can be difficult. :(:mad:

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2011

Why? What happened?

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 8, 2011

The SLP who's helping told me he can be difficult. I should find out more by what she means by "difficult". I know I'm probably in one of the worst rooms that any SLP has in the district has & there's not even a clock in the room! :mad: I also share it w/ the Think Together staff. The P's been nice the few times we've seen ea other in passing, so I'll just mk the best of it & see how it goes.

In schools, many times, it's known for the SLPs to be stuffed in the old tiny broom closet, freezing rm w/ no proper A/C or heating, strange rm, etc. that no one else on campus wants & it's a real shame that SLPs are not respected more for their knowledge & expertise. Subbing for most of the SLPs, I've seen a lot of bad rooms. A couple of the worst I've seen was 1 tiny rm that was in the back of the girls' P.E. locker rm & it was freezing, kind of dank, & had some strange looking bugs. I had to write a note to the custodian to spray in there. Another speech rm I've seen used to be the old bathroom, so it was cold, etc. Thank God I was only in there a couple days, but I wouldn't want to breathe the air in there, no matter how much they "say" they sterilized in there. :eek:

27. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 8, 2011

wow I didn't realize they made SLPs use rooms like that. If I were a parent of one of those kids I'd be very unhappy about my child being in such bad rooms.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

It sounds as though you're projecting a lot of hearsay and past experiences onto this poor principal without giving him a chance.

Who knows? Maybe it's the other SLP who is difficult, not the principal. Maybe the clock broke the other day and there's a purchase order out for a new one, or maybe no one has thought to mention that it's missing.

We've all taught, or known someone who has taught, in THAT room. And I imagine your'e right: sometimes teachers who teach small groups get rooms that wouldn't be remotely possible for teachers of larger groups.

But give this principal a chance, OK?

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2011

Yes webmistress, that's how it is! Another time, an SLP told me the P at her school had all the rms in the entire school recarpeted, except for the speech rm because the P didn't regard the speech rm as important enough to need new carpeting. :mad:

I may be new at the SLP job, but I've been at that particular school since Aug 12th of this yr. There's never been a clock in there. But like I said, I'll make the best of it. Wed, I'm supposed to have an appt w/ the P & talk to him again about giving me a bigger rm. I've talked to him once before about it in Aug, but he didn't do anything. The last wk of Sept, my director told me to recheck w/ him about it.

See at 1st, I thought that this guy's going to be great, I'll hardly see him, he won't be nosy checking on my 24/7, etc., but I'm starting to see that he'll probably never attend any IEP or COST meetings, doesn't care that the speech rm is a cold, tiny rm that's not conducive to learning at all. There's a metal file cabinet in there that says SPEECH written on it, but I had to raise it to their attn to order a key to open it so I can see what's in there. He just doesn't give a flying fig at all & it's become very apparent. None of the other SLPs want to work there, so, they assign it to me, the newbie (especially since it's got a low caseload). It's discouraging that SLPs who many times have the highest education on the campus along w/ the P are given the $hittiest rm on the campus & tossed aside like they don't matter. (I'm not trying to be pompous about it, I'm saying that an SLP is a very important person on campus). I don't know if all the SLPs in the district have banded together & ever raised this to the proper dept's attn. I imagine they have at some point. Having a horrible room to work in is the LAST thing I need. But...I shall see what happens. :mellow:

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

This is your permanent job. Get a handle on your feelings, adopt a more professional attitude, and remember that you have to work with this guy for the foreseeable future. You aren't going to be able to just leave this job at the end of the day and not come back, like you could do if you were a sub. Part of being a permanent employee is establishing permanent relationships with your coworkers and supervisors.

Get over the issue with the clock and the cabinet. Ask for a clock or bring in your own. There, problem solved.

As for the cabinet, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Of all the things that an administrator has to do throughout the day and year, ensuring that you have a key to your cabinet probably isn't high on the list. When I moved into my classroom, there were wardrobes and filing cabinets that were all locked, and I didn't have keys to any of them. Instead of complaining about how they must not care about me or my room, I just went to the secretary in charge of handing out keys, gave her the lock numbers for those items, and she handed me the keys. There, problem solved.

As for the small room, know that sometimes some rooms are smaller than others. It's just how it is. Somebody needs to get the small room, and why shouldn't it be you? What have you done to earn a huge classroom? How many students do you have in your room at any given time? You're new, you don't have a traditional class set-up with 30+ kids in your room at a time (at least I don't think so, but I admit I don't know what your room looks like at any given time and how many students are in it). Make the most of it, work with what you have been given, and stop making huge, sweeping assumptions about this guy that he must not care about you or your students. Forget about what other principals have done or not done with carpet or space....It is irrelevant to you.

Not everything that everyone does is meant to be a jab at you. Sometimes people just have more on their plates than you realize, or they think that you are professional and smart enough to handle it yourself and ask for support/resources when you need them.

Good luck to you in this job.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

It's not about the room or the clock or the file cabinet.

It's about YOU making a difference to kids. You can do that in a broom closet if you choose to.

Administrators have a lot of their plates. Whether you were given the smallest room in the building or whether he displaced a 40 year veteran to give you the best room in the buidling has nothing to do with his qualifications as principal.

I'm disappointed to read your feelings on the matter.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2011

From my experience it is very true that SLPs have closets and such for classrooms. I was a speech student, and the first few years I was in a van for speech (yep, a van!) and the last few years in the teachers' lounge. It wasn't amazing from a student's perspective. But... You are new, and as someone said, someone has to have the smallest room. You have just over twenty students, and from my experiences SLPs work with only one student at a time or in some cases two or three. It makes sense, then, that they would have a smaller room. It should have proper heating and cooling, I very much agree, but I bet you can turn that little room into some very inviting. :)

Could you provide more information about the room? Dimensions? Does it have a bulletin board? What does the "Think Together" staff do? Is part of the room "your side" and part "their side"?

Bring in a clock, a lamp, a plant, and decorate a small bulletin board from Walmart and make it a cozy learning place.

As far as the principal, do give him or her a chance. I wouldn't equate the principal being interested in what's going on in your classroom to anything other than good leadership. Better he knows what you're doing and how valuable it is than assuming you're doing nothing and not worth the salary.

I'm not always good at it myself, but think on the bright side of things. Keep us updated about your year!

33. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 9, 2011

How sad that you've only been working a handful of days and you're already unsatisfied. A positive attitude minus sweeping generalizations and minus the idea that the district is out to get you would make your life a whole lot happier.

We've followed your saga here for a long time about your degree, grad school, job search, job selection ... I was really hoping to find some posts from you about how great your kids are, how you are finally in a good place with yourself ... but, surprise ... not the case.

We could all focus on the negatives of our jobs and leave ticked off everyday, just waiting for the next shoe to fall to crush us just a little bit more, maybe even making false assumptions to flare the fires a little more ... but, many of us go to our jobs for one reason: the kids. And, we put up with many issues that aren't perfect (I wish my biggest complaint was no clock ... how simple to fix ... buy a clock). But, if I let myself get bogged down with all of the negatives we have to deal with as teachers I would not be happy with myself. You make the best of the situation. I LOVE my school and my students. I really believe that my admin do the best they can ... are things perfect? Nope. But, you do what you can do!

You've been in this job for a short time ... what happened to the excitement of being fully employed, achieving your career goals ... how sad that it has already turned to finding and creating problems.

Ask Jem how to make the best of that closet ... she will have great ideas. :)

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

The speech teachers and other pull out teachers in my building either have small rooms (not closets) or share regular sized rooms with other pullouts ( partitions put in those rooms). The size of the groups these teachers work with is generally 3-5 kids at a time and the bigger classrooms are generally slotted for full sized (up to 21 kids ) grade level classes.
    Our small group instructors make even tiny spaces warm and welcoming...a few plants (silk flowers from the dollar store if no windows ), posters on the walls, bean bag chairs, personal touches make these rooms very conducive to learning. What have you done, ms I, to spruce up your space? Maybe a look at some of the 'room pics' threads from late summer will inspire you.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2011

Guys, back in my post #25, I said I'll make the best of it, so that's what I'll do. :) I don't see myself as griping. There are certain standards that th rm should have after all by law & just because I'm new, that shouldn't mean I'm given any old thing. Actually, a person can view it in 2 ways: One person may say well if he can't even get a clock, that's a scary thought & how will he provide or handle much more important issues? Someone else may say, oh it's just a clock, that's small fries, get over it!

Actually, I'll of course very politely, NEVER in a demanding way, mention having a clock & I'm still trying to get a bigger room which the director wanted me to ask about again, otherwise, I'll buy what I need & will bring in the reciepts to my dept to reimburse me. I'm waiting on finding out how much I'm allotted in supplies a year.

The room is a small L-shaped rm & the Think Together staff & I sit at opposite ends. She has a little more room than I do since the big cabinet is on my side. We each have a desk so that's nice. She has the computer on her side though, which we should BOTH be able to use, but I'm issued a laptop, so that's not a big deal to me. She's the coordinator & has a staff of several people. If there are about 4 adults in the room, the place is pretty cramped! The last time I was in the room, someone had their jacket on my desk, someone had their old shoes on my side & a cookie sheet of jello, etc. on my side on the floor. She knows to clear that away for me...hopefully, otherwise, I'll just lay them neatly on her side.

Fortunately, she's a pretty nice person & we are both very cooperative w/ each other regarding the use of the room & I gave her th speech schedule so she knows when to be in the room & when to be out due to my having kids. It's very inconvenient to work w/ the kids in there though. There isn't the ideal kidney-shaped table so I can face the kids & work w/ them, etc.

If all else fails, like JustMe said, I'll make it more inviting!

36. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 9, 2011

Ok, so you have a plan to deal with the room. Good. But, you also already have complaints about an admin that you barely know.

If you look for problems, guess what? You'll find them.

If you maintain a positive attitude and have a trust in people that they are doing the best they can with what they have (and are not out to get you), then, you will likely be able to remain happy with a job that you've put a lot of effort into getting.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

On a typical day, I go from room 204 to 223 to 113 to lunch. (the faculty room is diagonally across the courtyard from the nearest door to 113.)

to 237 to 146 (or 204, depending on the day)to 237 to free

to 122.

I don't teach in the same time zone for any 2 consecutive periods.

The easiest way to get from 237 to 204 is to go down the hall, down a flight of stairs, across the courtyard, up a flight of stairs, and down the hall. Yes, even in the rain. Yes, even in the snow. Unless the courtyard is closed due to excessive ice, that's the plan. If the courtyard is closed, I WILL be late for class.

It's not about the value the principal places on math or on me. It's about the way the schedule worked out.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2011

Well Alice, w/ you going from rm to rm to rm, again people can view that in one of two ways: They may say that's great that you get to walk around & be in a few different places throughout the day, whereas other people may think, what a pain to have to do that. Hey, it all depends on if you look at it in the glass 1/2 full, 1/2 empty type of way.

I, on the other hand am in 1 rm all day long. So, it would be nice to not have a rm that to some people may feel claustrophobic, freezing, etc. Yes, I personally can take the cold when the weather's hot, but many times, the kids say they're cold.

So, I'll repeat one more time, I am of course going to mk the best of it all & of course the P will never know how I may really feel about him. Hey, I'm a professional at work. If I want to vent about him when I get home, that's my business...not that I have much time for that anyway because I'm busy enough! :)

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

You've obviously never walked across a snowy courtyard in heels. And how freezing has it been? You've been in that room in Southern California since August. Again, it seems as though you're looking for things to dislike, whether they're based in your own experience or not.

Do as you want with your job, Ms. I.

Please, though, do me a favor. Changing an "S" to "$" so you can use profanity doesn't make it any less offensive. My kids have been known to read over my shoulders, and I would hate to have to explain why the teacher forum I frequent has obscenities in it.

But even moreso, there's a reason why those words are banned here-- there's an atmosphere of professionalism and civility that's ruined when those words, or barely disguised versions of them, appear.

Thank you

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 9, 2011

Congratulations on your job, Ms. I!!! I know you will make the best of it and do whatever you can for your students. Hopefully, after all the kinks are worked out, things will go smoothly for the rest of the year.

41. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

It does all depend on how you look at it. Honestly, it's really hard to read some of your posts because you're very...flip-floppy. You're very complainy and upset about what seem like very small issues, but then you get dismissive of those same feelings and say things like, "But hey, no big deal, I'm a professional." If they weren't a big deal to you, you wouldn't have made posts where you were practically up in arms about not having a clock. So while I agree with you that it's no big deal and that it's all how you look at it, I'm not certain that you actually believe those things.

I really do hope that things work out for you in this job. I think that you would be wise to give some people the benefit of the doubt, be willing to get to know them for who they are as you see them, not form your opinions about them based on either what others in the past have done or what others have told you. Be an independent thinker and draw your own conclusions, as long as those conclusions are based in the world of reality and not some crazy alter-universe where a missing clock is on par with truly offensive things like genocide and ozone depletion.

It seems like you have a history of writing people off, and I hope you don't do that in this job. You've spoken at length about not having any/many friends in real life, not caring to make friends, etc. I'm worried that the same feelings that lead you to not care about forming positive bonds with others are what's preventing you from trying to establish a positive and professional bond with your principal. Principals have the power to make or break our careers, and it's always better if you can be on your principal's good side.

Good luck to you.