I'm a Sub, and I love MP3 players

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MonsieurMetal, Aug 15, 2008.

1. MonsieurMetal

MonsieurMetal Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Absolutely love them: they are one of the best classroom-management tools available to the substitute teacher, especially when you're filling in for a teacher who has given you little more than "they know what they're supposed to do, keep them at their desks and working." A kid listening to his iPod is much more likely to ignore external/peer distractions, and is generally left with no other choice but to do the work he has to do.

What say you?

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

I agree. They were encouraged in the first school I worked at and even put in IEP's as a way to minimize distractions. It's too bad not all schools feel the same...

However, they can be abused, so there also needs to be strict rules for students so that they are a benefit and not a hindrance.

4. MonsieurMetal

MonsieurMetal Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Well some schools ban them altogether, which is pretty irritating.

And yes, there has to be a "when I'm talking, you pay attention, so I don't have to talk very long" rule established. But when it's work time, I know I prefer working and listening to music than listening to the scratching of pencils or the bleating of my comrades.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

My rule was they were fine as long as they could hear me and I couldn't hear their music (including the bass line).

6. pjlmom

pjlmom Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

mp3's in classroom

In high school I love to use the use of their mp3 as a reward for finishing the work assigned. I do not let them use it during the assignment and I check work before they can play them. It definitely keeps the trouble makers busy. They will actually work hard to complete their work so they can listen to their music.

7. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

We can not have them in our school at all. No electronics at all. No cell phones either. The teachers have to keep the cell phones off and put away out of site. You can only use it during your planning time. Students are not allowed to have phones if we catch them we have to turn them in to the office or we are in trouble. First offense the parents come get the phone after that they can not have it until the end of the school year. Its in the handbook for the district. There is one day a year at fall festival that we allow electronics and that is the only day. But, still no phones are allowed.

8. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

MP3 players and cell phones are against district policy here as well. I have seen students before with these things, even some teachers. One teacher used her cell phone on the playground during recess duty.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2008

Mp3s, cell phones, etc. are not allowed in hallways or classrooms during school ours in either elementary or high schools in my school board. The only exception would be if the students are in a small group using Mp3 players to listen to audio books as assigned by the teacher.

10. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I am very old school. I am in my early 30's but I wouldn't allow it in my class. I teach young children but I have seen it allowed in middle school. It is o.k if you are using it for an audio book but other than that no. I have worked at school's were the they look the other way and the music they listen to is not Christian or Disney music. I know 'cause the music I grew up with in the 80's was all explicit. (Too Short,Eazy E Luke Sky Walker. This is embaressing to admit.:wub:
    There are other ways of rewarding your students for good behavior.

11. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

I allow the use of MP3 players in my class during Seat Work. I have a signal for students (I turn the lights off and on in the classroom) to tell them to turn the music off and take their headphones off. Lack of compliance results in the LOSS of the MP3 player privilege, however, as someone who personally has AD/HD I can say that being allowed music for Seat Work when I was in school was one of the MAIN ways I managed to successfully complete school.

So I allow them, but only during Seat Work. Not during any other time. Students who break the rules first lose their MP3 player for the period, the second time they lose it for the whole day, then they lose their privileges completely and their parents have to come in to pick up the MP3 player, and finally - the entire CLASS loses the privilege.

I have parents and students sign a contract at the beginning of the year to that effect and I never have any problems with them. I've had to ban ONE class from using them, however, aside from that, I've never had any issues.

12. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 17, 2008

So do you know what they are lisening to? Explicit lyrics, demeaning lyrics to women, homosexuals etc.. is it allowed? I listened to it all and I just believe that some teachers really have no idea because they grew up differently. I grew up in well let's say a not so affluent part of southern California. And I had no limits from my parents. But I did attend a Catholic school that set imits in the classroom. I could listen to whatever music I wanted at home just as long as I didn't bring it to the classroom.

13. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

Suzie Q - I am not a police force, nor is it my concern what they are listening to. I caution parents and students in the contract that if I hear explicit lyrics I will remove privileges, however, at the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the parents to monitor their children's listening habits.

I also provide other options. As I will be teaching in a French Immersion program in the fall, I will spend a lot of my time introducing my students to different French artists and will have a CD player in my classroom for that purpose.

I am not a parent. I set limits within my classroom, but at the end of the day some of the responsibility lies with the parents. As long as my school and school division allow MP3 players, I see no reason to try and take a stand against them because some students may listen to inappropriate music. Not to mention the fact that it is up to parents to determine what is appropriate for their children - NOT me.

I also grew up listening to Dr. Dre, F*ck the Police, Run DMC, Tupac, Snoop Dogg and a lot of other explicit music. However it was my Mom's job (and I grew up in a single parent home in not so affluent neighbourhood - crack house down the street, hookers two blocks down in the other direction) to monitor what I listened to, not the school's.

14. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Aug 18, 2008

I agree with the OP. Mp3 players are a great way to get students focused and in general be productive. The schools in which I subbed last year were very laid back when it came to ipods/laptops, as I often saw students using them when their regular teachers were there. I personally used them when I student taught too, whether it be introducing a new topic ( I taught econ) with a song, or just playing music in the background. Obviously I made sure not to play anything derogative, so I made playlists prior to coming to class so I wouldnt have Too Short come on after Miles Davis.

15. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 24, 2008

You are right they do make it easier for the sub. Worksheets, videos,movies, Mp3 players ,games etc...

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2008

I don't allow iPods to be used during instructional time or tests/quizzes. During work time, however, if a kid asks to listen to his or her iPod, I usually say something like, "As long as I don't see or hear an iPod, I have no idea that it even exists." There are much bigger battles for me to fight than this one.

I do take a stand on iPods during tests and quizzes, though. Students are pretty crafty and know how to use their iPods to cheat. It's easier on everyone if I just remove that temptation all together.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 24, 2008

I always have music on when I'm working, and it really helps me focus. I also like to play classical music in my class during morning work and writing time.

However, I'd be worried what kids would be listening to. Last week at Target there was a girl and her older brother (?) shopping near me. The young girl (who looked about 6) was singing loudly to the song on her iPod. The song was that "I kissed a girl and I liked it, she tasted like cherry Chapstick" song. Not exactly age-appropriate.

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 6, 2008

This is our rule too with the exception of some special kids who have it in there IEP's for their behavior.

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

no electronics in our district. I do play music at times in my class, though I can't see allowing 1st graders to have mp3s

20. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Sep 17, 2008

Mp3's

no. Electronic devices are not allowed in class. As an elementary teacher, I would be highly upset with my substitute if this is what he/she did in my absence. If I have to be out, I plan detailed work for my students to do to continue the skills we are working on. I expect my substitute teacher to be the teacher and present the work I have planned so that when I return we review, assess and go from there. I have had a sub whom liked to tell me "we'll find something to do". My response was "yes, you will. I have everything outlined right here and the assignments etc. are also in detail." I guess I am just wierd this way. My husband teaches Humanities History/Civ, Religion at the high school. His students hate for him to be out because they will be working in his absence. His subs love to sub for him because he plans well and the courses are interesting. Plus the students are engaged as long as the plans are followed. Phones and other devices are not on during class. This has to be emphasized to parents as well. :2cents:

21. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 18, 2008

No you are weird in that way at all!! When I sub I would hope the teacher does not leave busy work. I would hope the teacher would feel that it is still an normal day in her room. With the exception, that I hope teachers don't want me to introduce a new lesson. I would only help re-teach something if the teacher wanted me too. I always go around and help them with there work if they need it. If I see they need help on every problem I would say I helped you with enough now you try this next problem by yourself and I will come back in a sec and check to see if you are doing them right. Usually they just think they can't do it, make it to hard, or want me to pretty much give the answers or do it for them. When I help I try not to do it for them. Oh, and I am in no way saying I am better than another sub. I just feel like this is not a free day for the kids because I am there. I feel like if we let them play mp3's or ipods or color or anything else then the school might as well have said since your teacher is going to be out today then just stay home.

22. JLW

JLW Rookie

Sep 21, 2008

We get no mp3s or electronics. If I catch someone with one I'm required to (try) to confiscate it.

Given a choice? I'd allow it... maybe. Hedge, hedge, hedge. On my first day in my first class at the high school I was unaware of the 'no electronics' policy and when people pulled out players I thought it was normal! It turned out a couple of them tried it to see what I'd do, and by the end of the period over half the class was playing music.

However, in my case, it was all explicit rap. Then, instead of listening to anything I said or doing work, they started sharing ear buds, then when someone else got interested they'd simply unplug the buds and play the music out loud on their phones.

This led to a defiant gang member refusing to turn off his phone and presenting the class with Lil Wayne's charming feminist missive, 'Alphabet B-----s'.

So... on the other hand, when students are working in the computer lab and writing essays, I'd be tempted to allow it, but I suspect it might lead to the same situation.

So I'd give it a no.