I'm a new teacher

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by 3aliyah, Jul 20, 2008.

1. 3aliyah

3aliyah Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Hi
    I found this site after doing tons of searching for 4th grade classroom ideas. I'm going to teach 4th grade in the fall and I'm actually rather nervous about it. It's a private school and small. So that's good. The pay is horrible. And from what I saw of the teachers last year they were totally burned out and fed up with the administration. I've decided not to let this deter me though! Needless to say, I'll need lots of input just trying to put this classroom together. I have a few neat ideas but all in all... I'm a little scared....
    :blush:

- 3aliyah

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

Hi and welcome,
    It is completely natural and okay to feel scared, nervous etc. You sound determined to have a great year and that is the first step. Keep frequenting this message board and read a lot. There are so many talented teachers in grade 4 and others that are always willing to lend an ear and share ideas!!!!!
    Congrats on your job!

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 20, 2008

Stop at every garage sale and buy books for a classroom library.

Go to Wal Mart, Target and etc. And buy extra supplies while they are on sale. At Wal Mart glue 2 for 22 cents, notebooks 5 cents each ---lots of cheap paper, and more.

Go thrift shops, buy used books for your library, book shelves if you need them and etc.

Have you seen your room? What is in it? What supplies are in the school supply room, if anything?

Welcome to AtoZ

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 20, 2008

question

Wondering what are some of your neat ideas?

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 20, 2008

Congratulations on your new job.. I was given alot of my personal items to use like dry erase markers etc.. when I did my student teaching.. I had my husband make me a book case. I also found some items at teacher stores and made use of some of the items left in the classroom. Don't be nervous and just shop around and see what you can find on sale but, don't spend to much it will all come together....

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 20, 2008

Did you notice this site that I posted about earlier today. It has lots of great ideas.

http://www.sanchezclass.com/downloadcafe.htm Scroll down to misc and click on "In Living Color" This would even make a neat writing assignment later on in the year.

I found this on another board and thought you would all be thrilled to add this unique activity for your students.

Don't forget to buy some erasers, pencils and even notebooks for your Treasure Box. I never put anything that cost me over 20 cents in my Treasure Box. I try for 5 cent items. I'm always looking for things on sale. Break up big packages like the erasers of 30 in a package, that will make 30 items in your Treasure Box.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

Welcome to fourth grade! Just let us know how we can help.

9. 3aliyah

3aliyah Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Well...
    Super Star Achievers Club - Math and Reading Challenges:
    •Math (manila folder taped to wall with handouts) – times tables
    •Reading (manila folder taped to wall with reading logs and book report instructions) – read 5 non-fiction and 10 fiction books. Do a book report on your favorite book.
    Prizes: Student gets to pick piece of folded paper out of the fishbowl. Prizes could be time at the computer, time in the reading library, time playing a game or materials like bookmarks, cool pencils, jewelry, nerf balls, etc.

Then I think I'll implement the reward system similar to what I use at home with my kids. I use "Mom Bucks". Guess I'll just modify them to be "Superstar Bucks" or something like that. The student gets 1 buck per day if behavior and also homework is turned in. On Friday they get to use their bucks to shop in my "store". In my store I'll have boxes with prizes - a cheap box (items in this box will cost the students $5 and under in SuperStar Bucks), a medium box ($6-$20), and an expensive box ($20-$100). I got the idea for the store after checking around the internet. The Mom bucks work well at home - reward the kids for helping out. :)

10. 3aliyah

3aliyah Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate it! :) I added it to my Favorites!

11. 3aliyah

3aliyah Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Haha what school supply room?!

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 20, 2008

Well it will be 3aliyah's supply room. So stock up at all the cheap before school supply sales. There won't be any more super sales again until next August.

Don't forget the Dollar Stores.

Box Tops for Education. sponsored by General Mills. Clip and save Box Tops for Education from General Mills foods cereal and etc. You earn ten cents for each token found on the boxes and cans. http://www.boxtops4education.com/ You might want to check it out. Our school collects the boxtops for education tokens. They send you money. Make this a class project. Our school has a large dorm refrigerator in each elementary classroom from this project and we get library books, and whatever we want. Get your students, parents, grandparents and etc involved. Tell them your earning money for a refrigerator.
    Earn money by collecting empty inkjets, Toner Cartridges. www.ircfundraising.com
    www.rain.org/~philfear/iguanodon.html www.rain.org

13. allyd

allyd Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Check out garage sales and church sales! My first year, I told them that I was a new teacher, and asked them to make deals on boxes of books, rather than by the piece. Most did and I ended up with a huge library to start out. I also buy things such as lamps with shades (buying shades is expensive), lanterns, paper decorations, etc. at garage/church sales very inexpensively.