I'm a new music teacher!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by mrsmusic, Sep 9, 2009.

1. mrsmusic

mrsmusic New Member

Sep 9, 2009

Hello everyone -

I thought I'd join a teaching forum because I have a gazillion questions and need to know others who are in the same position as I am that I can empathize with. Hope you don't mind :)

I was just hired about 1.5 weeks ago. First day of classes is today. I just graduated in the summer so I didn't expect a job right now.

I'm teaching music between 2 schools (both elementary) but I'm only half time which is kind of nice.

I didn't major in music although it has been my background for many many years. But....I don't even play piano...I know the basics and the hiring staff knew as well. I feel out of place - like shouldn't a music teacher know how to play piano? :mellow:

Anyways......I'm excited but also really nervous.....I'd love to get to know anyone on this forum and hopefully we can help each other out.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 9, 2009

Welcome to the forum! You'll find the motherload of information and advice here, not to mention oodles of support. :welcome:

4. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Sep 9, 2009

Hi, I am a new music teacher too! :)

My background is in strings-I'm not really a piano player either. I can play most things one handed. I use a lot of cd accompainments as well.

Try and see if you have a kid that can play piano-or an adult on your staff!

Good luck.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2009

Nice to see you! Make sure you check out the music teachers forum :)

6. musicbx

musicbx Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

Two words: "auto accompaniment"

I am a music teacher, have a degree in music education and a master's degree in music - I can't play piano either.

Most electric keyboards have an auto accompaniment option, you use ONE finger and it plays the chord for you. If you mess around with the settings, it will play an accompaniment for you, using those chords with a rhythmic component. You can even add an intro and ending, with the push of one button.

This would be fine for rehearsals, and for dress rehearsals and concerts you can invite a friend or a parent to play. The keyboard I have in my classroom is by Casio, the CTK-900, it costs a little over $200.

Or, just start out by learning C, F and G on the piano... most folk songs only use these chords anyways.

Good luck!

7. mrsmusic

mrsmusic New Member

Sep 9, 2009

Thanks for the advice so far!!

My next question then....

How can I put together a "movement choir"? The other teachers and I were talking that maybe we should make choir more about movement and being active as oppose to just singing. I want to make it fun and lively but I am not sure where to start!

We'll still sing some songs but my timetable doesn't even allocate me enough time for a proper choir rehearsal where the kids will benefit. So I want to change things up a bit! Any suggestions?