Im a lousy sub

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by urban teacher, May 29, 2022.

1. urban teacher

urban teacher Rookie

May 29, 2022

Understandably because I’m a special education teacher who has benn pulled to cover other absent teachers for 2-3 hours.
    Any techniques to use when you don’t know student names and they don’t have work? Most of these classes have not had a regular teacher all year

jackgoddard likes this.
  3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

May 29, 2022

What grades? Because I teach "specials" I get pulled to cover a lot. I have a mental list of activities I can do with the kids if there's no sub plans. For grade school, there's riddles and word games like green glass door, I've read books to classes for ELA (there's youtube read-alouds too), the math game Contig only needs dice and easily copied game boards, SPARKLE for spelling, etc.
    I also keep a list of what educational programs are streaming free. Reading Rainbow, Horrible Histories, PBS shows etc. Not sure if it's streaming anywhere, but I recall watching Donald Duck in Mathemagic Land probably half a dozen times in junior high with subs.
    PBS generally has free programs that'll work for most subjects for older kids in a pinch. American Experience for SS, American Masters for ELA, NOVA for science. . .

jackgoddard likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 30, 2022

I started a thread on this forum that offers up free resources to help teachers access useful links without cost: Free links! Lots of science, space, ELA, ESL, Music, Art, PD, Lesson Plans and resources. Enjoy!. Starting from the last page and working backwards through the older pages and posts will probably make more sense, since this thread has well over 100 pages in it currently. I only post links to resources that are available without charge. You may well find useful links that you can use or research to find links that will assist you based on classes that you have been asked to cover before, making it easier to find what you need in the shortest amount of time. Also, once you find some that you use more frequently, the transition will be smoother for you and your students.

I would also recommend that if you start to see repetition in the classes you are asked to cover and the subject matter, create a link on your computer that will make it easier to get to the resources you need in the least amount of time, which can create a feeling of being in charge instead of feeling like you are moving around blind, without a clue.

Also, try to get a student list for the classes you are asked to cover each time, and compile your own folder of classroom students and make notes about anything that may help you the next time you are asked to step in to sub. That's better than being totally unprepared, flying blind. Understandably it is late in the season for this to help you much this school year, but if you do this next year from the beginning of the new year, you may find that your confidence may blossom as you gain more information about what is expected, more success as you get to learn student names and get more intel about how certain teachers run their classrooms. Hope the free resources will be of use to you. Best of luck to you!

jackgoddard likes this.
  5. urban teacher

urban teacher Rookie

May 30, 2022

Thank you for the links. I will do my best to use them. Since it’s only for 2 more weeks, it will help.
    I put in my resignation because I’m the only K-5 Learning Support teacher and have not been able to do my job all year. The being pulled to cover is only a small part.

jackgoddard likes this.
  6. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

May 30, 2022

What's next?

jackgoddard likes this.