i'm a little scared...new student

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Teacheroo, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Oct 19, 2006

I just got another new student last week. (my class is a revolving door). This kid was expelled in the fifth grade, went to an alternative school, and has done absolutely nothing in my class so far. His cumulative file finally came in today and it's literally 4 inches thick with behavior documentation, IEP stuff, etc. This kid was suspended at least 15 times, for everything: fighting, cursing, defiance, drawing pictures of himself shooting people in the heads, and oh yeah, bringing bullets to school. :eek:
    As I said, he has not done anything in class, even modified work that I know he can do. I obviously don't want to push him too far...

What the heck do I do? I'm not going to do the normal discipline stuff, keeping him at recess etc. it's not at all effective with this kid. He won't answer me when I ask him a question, I'm lucky if I get him to look at me at all. :confused:

3. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Oct 19, 2006

This kid has been tossed aside like garbage and he knows it. He needs someone to teach him what it means to be cared about. It will probably take all year to melt his hardened heart. Don't give up on him. I'll be praying for you. Trust me that's way better than a callous, "Good luck!"

4. Missy1

Missy1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2006

You are probably the only stable person in his life, and not that he'd ever let it show... he probably looks foward to seeing you everyday.

In terms of his classroom manner, I guess you could start small... like subtle praises for him sitting down and not talking.. just try hard to catch him being "good" and jump on it... don't make it known to the rest of the class (don't want to ruin that hard nut appearance) just a quick whisper as you move past him should work. Being able to work as a member of a society is probably more important for him right now than doing grammar.
    stay positive with him and he'll slowly soften.. jst takes a lot of work!
    I hope this helps!

5. Missy1

Missy1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2006

You are probably the only stable person in his life, and not that he'd ever let it show... he probably looks foward to seeing you everyday.

In terms of his classroom manner, I guess you could start small... like subtle praises for him sitting down and not talking.. just try hard to catch him being "good" and jump on it... don't make it known to the rest of the class (don't want to ruin that hard nut appearance) just a quick whisper as you move past him should work. Being able to work as a member of a society is probably more important for him right now than doing grammar.
    stay positive with him and he'll slowly soften.. jst takes a lot of work!
    I hope this helps!

6. DramaQueen!!

DramaQueen!! Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

Hello,
    I don't know if you are still looking for ideas, but it looks like he has had some mole hills turn into mountains too. I am not sure about your schools rules regarding stuff like swearing, but suspension for cursing and definance seems a little much, but I admittedly do not know all of the details. I would think that if you can keep the small things small, and not let him get away with the big things and still love him and still fight for him, that will help him open up and verbally (etc.) accept you. Kids are amazing resilient when they are like that, but they don't trust easily. They want to, but they have often times been hurt too much in order to trust themselves to do it. In short- Keep loving him.
    I hope that helps.

7. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

maybe a journal just between the two of you.
    ie...in the journal you might write..Hey Suzie Q I noticed that yesterday that, when you were paying attention during Lang. Arts everyone followed you. Thanks for being a positive role model
    I would like to put a riddle on the board tomorrow for everyone to figure out do you have any ideas?
    Sometimes when you give the student the opportunity to be in control, he won't feel like he has to steal it:)

Journaling is a great discrete way for the child to open the lines of communication with you

Good Luck

Remember he didn't get this way overnight, Be patient and even if this child doesn't outwardly respond, he will take with him the fact that someone took the time to listen and respond to what he has to say

8. mattie1993

mattie1993 New Member

Nov 11, 2006

Where's your support? Have you met with administration at you building level?