I'm a H.S senior, and i need your insite on why did u pick teaching as a career?!?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Guest, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 21, 2002

Dear Teacher,

My name is Cecilia and I would like to take some of your time and ask you if you may help me with a part of my senior project. I would like to get your outlook on how teaching has helped you and others. May you please answer these following questions:

1.How has teaching as a career affected your life?

2.When you were a child did your ever dream/think that you would become a teacher?

3.Is teaching a hard thing to do? If so why? How have you worked through it?

4.Would you encourage teens like myself to become a teacher? Why or why not?

5.If you were to start all over again would you still choose to be a teacher?

6.Is teaching rewarding? How?

Thank your for your time. If you would like to e-mail me the answers you may to Cecio2@hotmail.com. Subj. Teaching

Sincerely,
    Cecilia

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 22, 2002

Hi Cecilia!

Teaching is a career that deals with people... deep relationships are created with your students. They become part of your life... Teaching is like not like most other jobs because it is so much a part of your life. It is hard to separate my personal life from work.

2.When you were a child did your ever dream/think that you would become a teacher?

Yes... I played school all of the time. I adored my teachers, so I pretended to be like them. When I was in high school, I never considered becoming a teacher, but the feeling came back to me when I entered college.

I find it very hard because there are many outside pressures from administrators and parents. I am also very intrinsically motivated, so I pressure myself as I strive to do the best for my students. I am still struggling with the stresses and pressures of teaching. Sometimes it is necessary to step back and tell myself, "I am doing my best... It's all I can do."

If it is a dream of yours, try it! It can be a very rewarding career. You have to love the kids and love teaching in order to cope with the stress and low pay that goes along with it.

I am very glad that I became a teacher. I can't imagine teaching 30 years... but I don't know what I would be happy doing otherwise. This website is a big part of my life, and I wouldn't have it if I wasn't a teacher. I have tried working full time on it, and not teaching, but I missed being in the classroom!

The most rewarding part of teaching is the kids... when they remember something you have taught them... demonstrate what they have learned... when that light bulb goes off in their head... when they hug you 20 times a day.. when they say something insightful that only a kid would imagine... Teaching affects real lives, and you can see amazing results.

I hope this helps!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 25, 2002

Hi Celilia - I'm a teacher in England and this is my first year of teaching an so im only just embarking upon my career as a teacher, but saying that i don;t know whether i will really be able to make a career of it, certainly in England, where our profession is undrgoing a real strain.

My father is a primary school (elementary) headteacher and that has been a huge influence upon me. He has been a real role model. However, i tried to rebel away from "following in daddies footsteps" and originally went away to university to study international commerce. Realising the falseness and hard faced attitude of that industry i faced up to my real calling and vocation and that is to be a teacher.

Teaching is the hardest thing i have ever done. The simple fact that you are creating the minds of tomorrow as well as, in many instances, being a secure caring figure in some childrens' lives is a huge responsibility. I read somewhere, and this is a quote a remind myself of every morning, is that as a teacher i am not writing on inaminate material but on the very souls of human beings. Pretty powerful thought don't you think.

I would, although i would ensure that those considering teaching don't think of it as an easy career option. You have a huge challenge and responsibility ahead of you - but that must not discourage those who truly feel that they can dedicate their lives - and thats what it is, teaching is not just a career, its a vocation. I find i'm thinking about it 24/7 - it drives my fiance mad, as i am always thinking "oh that could be useful for that or "thats a free resource - i should get that" etc - i only found your site here because ive been hunting for resources on the net - and its 11pm! You don't rest.

I think i would have. It took me 2 years studying another course at university before realising my true desire. I don't think i would even change anything even though im finding it tough going.

Teaching is the most rewarding occupation. Honestly, when you get your own class, and you start building relationships up with the children, to see them progress and grow, or achieve what they thought was impossible - to see them smile and sometimes cry is joy to your soul. Its amazing the things they teach you!