I'm a complete mess right now...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, May 23, 2008.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

I'm watching an Oprah show from 2007 that I apparently missed originally, and I am absolutely a mess right now. When people tell me I am too angry, bitter, and pissed off at the lack of control our government has over DUIs - well, they need to see this episode. A mother holding her daughter's severed head because of pathetic drunk driver. Ah, this is just terrible....

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 23, 2008

I can't believe anyone would put that on TV! I'd be a mess after seeing something like that too. Write your congressman (or woman) about your concerns and send the letter right away. It will make you feel better that you 1) got your feelings on paper and 2) made your feelings clear to someone who might be able to help fix the problem in some way.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 24, 2008

Oh, let me clarify - they didn't show the anything graphic, it was the mother retelling the story of the tragic night where she held her daughter's decapitated head as she sat on the side of the road for an hour while the ambulance freed the rest of the family from the vehicle.

I have made many, many contacts about my feelings regarding DUIs. I am MOST passionate about this issue.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 24, 2008

That is so horrific...I can't even imagine.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 24, 2008

Just me, I felt the same way. I couldn't continue watching the show. It was too painful...

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 24, 2008

This sounds like the story about the little flower girl killed by a drunk driver while riding in a limo.. this happened right where I live. It is indeed such a sad story. Heartbreaking. I don't understand why people feel they are invincible.

8. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

May 24, 2008

My husband is a police officer and he doesn't understand people either. It's the 'it won't happen to me' syndrome. In our hometown, we had a DUI accident where there were 8 teens in a tiny 2 door car. Drunk driver struck a telephone pole, killed 5 of the 8. One of the teens that survived was at a party drinking again the next weekend. I don't get it...

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 24, 2008

This is that story! It happened on Long Island.....so sad, I had to turn it off!

During her show Oprah mentioned MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) wanting to put an end to DD by having breathalizers (sp??) in the cars of convicted DDers. The driver would have to pass the test or else the car would not be able to turn on. This sounds great...but should be in EVERY car on the road....our country should work with the car makers to make this happen.

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 24, 2008

It is so sad. As a mom I can't even imagine that happening to my kid!!! My life would end as I now know it. Just last weekend we had 2 teens killed in a drunk driving accident. One week before graduation. How devastating! Which brings me to another subject. Parents letting teens drink at graduation parties and before and after prom! THEY ARE NOT 21, IT IS NOT OK EVEN THOUGH IT IS AT YOUR HOUSE!!!!! People just don't understand it.

11. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 24, 2008

I remember that episode, JustMe. Terrible situation. I don't think people understand what can happen. I do feel that DUI accidents that cause death should require harder prison sentences. If you get a DUI it's a mandatory 1-2 years in prison. It wouldn't matter how many offenses you had. If you were a perfect citizen and got caught once, that's it you get 1 year in prison. I think a lot more people would stop drinking and driving.

I did feel bad for this family. The parents needed to get help. They were so stuck on their daughter that lost her life. I would be too, but it seemed to be effecting their other children. I remember the parents saying they feel bad for doing things with their children because their daughter isn't with them. I hope they have gotten help for the sake of their living children.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 24, 2008

My BIL had one in his car for a period of time. He had a DWI (driving while intoxicated) though, not a DUI, which is different. I wonder if that is why? Perhaps there is levels of "under the influence". IMO, they should be treated as one in the same.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 24, 2008

This is actually happening here in Nebraska!

14. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

May 25, 2008

Quite frankly, I like that idea. And the DD should responsible for paying for the expense of having it installed. No one forced that person to get behind the wheel.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 25, 2008

How will it prevent her from driving someone else's car? It would reduce it but not eliminate her ability.

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 25, 2008

I don't think a blanket law will be the right thing to do. Laws that require a certain sentence have taken away judges power to look at a situation and judge each on its merits. A blanket law about drug possession has put a child in my state in prison for life for having marijuana with him. He was just over the limit. However there are people in this state that kill someone and get 3-5 years. Does this really make sense?

I know there are people who have gotten a DUI for things other than drinking. My mom got one years ago, she had one glass of wine and waited over an hour before she left to drive home. She was not drunk (brethalizer said so) but she was charged anyway. Why? Turns out that sudafed causes her to have a very severe reaction and she hallicinates. Should she has been given a years prision sentence? As it was she lost her licence for 6 months. The judge told her she should have known sudafed did that to her. Of course it is not a side effect of the drug, no warnings on the label that it could happen, but it was a strange allergic reaction.

There are people that get DUI's one after another, some as many as ten or fifteen and still have not done jail time. Judges need to have leeway to sentence people according to the situation. If someone has a DUI with the cirucmstances my mom had would get a minor sentence and a note on her drivers licence so she knows to not take sudafed and drive again. The guy who has done it a couple of times but has no remorse gets the book thrown at them. That way we can ensure that those that really didn't know they couldn't drive were not punished the same as someone who got drunk, drove and thought it was cool.

17. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

My friend was telling me about this episode of Oprah the other day. I was disgusted over the whole situation and that no one bothered to take the keys away from this guy who caused such a tragedy. No family should ever endure that kind of horror.

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2008

I really don't think any law will prevent these morons from drinking and driving. It's so sad, but it continues to happen. People need to take responsiblity for themselves.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2008

It continues to happen because it's allowed to happen! Grrr...I get so emotional talking about it, so I'll leave it at that. :(

20. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2008

I just came across this thread, but I saw the same episode (Friday before Memorial day). I never watch Oprah, but I was out of town and happened to have it on and I just sat there sobbing and then went and hugged my son who was sleeping.

21. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Jun 10, 2008

Drunk driving ticks me off to no end. I read Jennifer Flynn's statement, and I agree that we're all responsible for drunk driving. It shouldn't be acceptable. I've known too many people who just don't take it seriously. There needs to be more social pressure on people not to drive drunk. We have to teach our children to scorn drunk drivers. Social pressure has made a difference among teen smokers, so I believe it can make a difference with drunk driving.

Although I don't agree with minimum mandatory sentences, the maximum sentences for drunk driving should be increased. Give judges the option to put someone away for a year for driving drunk.