Illinois Teacher's Aide Charged With Boy's Death

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Suburban Gal, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 17, 2009

Isn't this terrible? :eek: I just heard about this on the 10 'oclock news. The reporter on ABC 7 Chicago said the boy took his favorite blanket, crawled into his chair, and died. After I heard that I had to go hunt down the news release and share it with the rest of you. As a TA/paraprofessioal myself, I could NEVER imagine hurting a child like that.

LINCOLNSHIRE, Ill. (AP) - Bond has been set at $5 million for a suburban Chicago daycare worker charged in the homicide of a toddler.

Police say 22-year-old Melissa M. Calusinski of Carpentersville confessed to throwing 16-month-old Benjamin Kingan to the ground at a Lincolnshire center. She is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the Deerfield boy's death.

Lake County prosecutor Steve Scheller says the child was found unresponsive Wednesday at the Minee Subee in the Park Center and later pronounced dead. Scheller says the boy's skull was fractured with force consistent with a drop from the top of a one- or two-story building.

Scheller says Calusinski was a teacher's aide at the center. He says Calusinski said she was frustrated and angry with the boy because he was being noisy.

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 17, 2009

OMG

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2009

Why in the world would anyone throw a baby? Where do these people come from? Where were her supervisors when this was happening? This is sickening.

5. Suburban Gal

Jan 17, 2009

It seems like she just couldn't handle the child's incessant behavior anymore.

Sadly, in IL our requirements for paraprofessional are very low. (The state requires an Associate's degee or passing score on the Paraprofessional basic skils test for all paraprofessionals. ECE paras MUST have 3 ECE credit hours. Paras receive no formal traning.)

It's my understanding that a paraprofessioal can't be left alone with the children. So, the teacher should've been in that classroom. However, we have yet to hear if she was or not. My guess is the teacher wasn't in the classroom at the time this incident happened. I bet she stepped out briefly for whatever reason (drinking fountain, restroom, office, etc...) thinking everythig would be okay.

In any case, this TA will have her Paraprofessional Approval quickly revoked. She will no longer be allowed to work in the education field whether it's in IL or another state.

I assume the daycare center will be slapped with a huge lawsuit, especially if it's learned the teacher wasn't in the classroom at the time of this incident.

This TA is so young. It's such a shame she had to kill her career in education.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 17, 2009

Our paras are not only left alone with kids all the time but at times we sub (according to our contract). That's just plain horrific of ANYONE to do.

7. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Jan 17, 2009

In any case, this TA will have her Paraprofessional Approval quickly revoked. She will no longer be allowed to work in the education field whether it's in IL or another state.

This TA is so young. It's such a shame she had to kill her career in education.

I think having her approval revoked is the least of her problems. She's been charged with first degree murder.

8. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jan 17, 2009

I saw this on the news, it is such a shame.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2009

It's a shame that she had to kill a baby. Screw what she did to her career (sorry for the language).

10. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

I do too, but she's still a human being. Granted she made a bad decision and did what she did, but I believe people can be forgiven. It's not my place to judge. It's God's place. Remember, she has a family too and they will also be going through a lot of pain and heartache too. For all we know, she could be the mother and father's only daughter. If she's convicted, which she ultimately will be, and gets the death penalty then they'll be losing their only child.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2009

I understand what you are saying, but I sympathize with the innocent child who lost its life, and with that child's family. The 22 year old made a choice and chose to abuse this baby, and the result was death. The baby, on the contrary, had no choice in the matter and is the real victim here.

12. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

Very true.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 18, 2009

That is terrible! Here a daycare (not a public school) teacher or TA only needs to have a diploma or GED and a background check to start. I wonder if the person had adequate training about how to handle a child that is misbehaving and how to walk away or get the director so she could cool off if she is feeling that amount of frustration. I can't imagine what the family of that child and the teacher must be going through.

14. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 18, 2009

That is so HORRIBLE! I know i get upset when children don't listen sometimes but at that age it's understandable. They're just learning! I could never hurt a child! Sometimes I wonder why people go into that field! That breaks my heart!!:(

15. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

The paper said today that after being injured the baby got his blankie and crawled/dragged himself to his comfort zone, a bouncy chair. I can not BELIEVE no one else noticed this! Do they not have monitors in the rooms? Rooms should always have two adults at all times.

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 18, 2009

oh my that is terrible!

unimaginable really, as a mother. there are no words:(

17. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 18, 2009

As much as I am disgusted with the story. I do not believe all of the blame rests ont he TA. She will be the one serving time, make no mistake-I do belive she had a lot of choices she could have made. However, there was administration on site in the facility that could have had ideas that she perhaps had issues w/the crying or that the classroom wasn't the best fit. I am not aware that this was the first hour of the first day. There was the other teacher that probably knew if this TA was within her comfort zone or not. And then to have left the TA w/ a full room-that in my state couldn't happen. They could be left-I am sure, but the adult to child ratio would have to be maintained in the teachers absence.

As much as I am sickened by what happened there is more than enough blame to go around in my opinion.

18. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

That makes me want to cry~!

19. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jan 18, 2009

Well said, WA. I agree. Admin should have been made aware or noticed what was going on in the first place.

About ten years ago, I worked in the office of the city's largest daycare/preschool. What I found was that all the best daycare providers left because the pay was so minimal and they had better offers elsewhere. Meanwhile, the lowest of the low would stay forever. Because they couldn't get jobs anywhere else. Worse, admin would keep them because they were always looking for providers. There was a never-ending ad in the paper looking for help.

With such low pay (at least here in IL), daycares are always hurting for quality help. I wasn't shocked that such a person was able to get in there and get/keep a job in the field. :(

20. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, there were 7 children in the classroom and another adult, who had been working there an entire year. (I assumed this was the teacher.) The police report states the other adult didn't see the incident occur.

The Sun-Times also says the daycare center has a formal statement about this on their website where they claim parents can drop their child(ren) off each day knowing that she/he will be safe within the walls of the facility. I checked the website and couldn't find the statement that says safety is a concern and they're cooperating fully with the investigation.

What really irks me is that the other adult in the room didn't see this incident occur. I came from a Montessori school with just as many children and saw everything that took place within the walls of the classroom. So, I have trouble buying into the fact that other adult didn't see this happen.

This is a HUGE lawsuit waiting to happen. I hope the 1½-year-old boys parents sue the dickens out of this daycare center and I wouldn't be surprised, when it's all over with, if the daycare center goes out of business. I know if I was a parent and had a child there I'd be pulling them about now.

21. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2009

Oh my God, I'm horrified that anyone can do that to a child. I know it happens, but it's still horrifying.

I hope that woman gets what she deserves and more.

22. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 18, 2009

When I was in college, I was taught to never have your back to a child. You are always to have eyes on anything that went on in a room. I live by that always! I see everything and if I'm not able to I make sure my assistants never have their back to any child as well. I teach that age so you constantly have to have your eyes open. These children are so small and some don't even speak so of course they are going to cry to try and get what they want. They are very young toddlers. I feel like throwing up just thinking about that incident. :(

23. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

I know. The lead Montessori Teacher I just finished working under was a sickle for this. She always pounded it into me to never have my back turned on the children.

I looked at a picture of a classroom on the daycare's website and, to be honest, it's a fairly small classroom. So how the other adult never saw this incident is truly beyond me. I'm sure the administration is wondering why the other adult didn't see it either.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 18, 2009

I would hate to be the other teacher--the guilt. Maybe she was changing a diaper or something...

25. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 18, 2009

Most classrooms I have been in have the changing table set up where you can see the whole room.

26. Suburban Gal

Feb 19, 2009

Daycare Center Closed By DCFS

About 2 weeks after a worker was charged with the death of an infant at the Minee Subee day care in Lincolnshire, Illinois, authorities shut down the center as they widen their criminal investigation.

According to the Daily Herald (a local paper):

The state Department of Children and Family Services ordered the closing of Minee Subee in the Park, 400 Marriott Drive, just after 1 p.m. Friday. Officers from Lake County Major Crimes Task Force and Lincolnshire police assisted DCFS officials and seized records, documents and computers covered under a court-ordered search warrant.

Officials indicated the action was part of the investigation into the Jan. 14 death of 16-month-old Benjamin Kingan of Deerfield.

“We had some inconsistent statements and some missing reports on their part,” Lincolnshire Police Chief Randall Melvin said. “In order to be prudent and in the best interests of the children, we felt it best to close them down until we can get to the bottom of this.”

27. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2009

Whoa....sounds like there was a lot of shady stuff going on there.

28. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Feb 20, 2009

What a shame. I cannot even imagine hurting a child like that. If you are incapable of dealing with behavior issues in children then you should not teach!! There is no excuse for what she has done. Working with kids is something I do because I love them. If I could not handle unconditionally showing love to other peoples most prized possessions then I would find a new career.

It may not be our place to judge but I have a feeling that God is not smiling down on her right now. For every action there is a consequence.

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 20, 2009

This reminds me of the Baby Grace case. Did you read that while Grace's mother and her boyfriend were beating her to death, she repeated "I love you" over and over in an attempt to get them to stop?

That makes me want to lose my chicken patty sandwich.

30. mccracra

mccracra New Member

Mar 1, 2009

WOW! I grew up in this town. I cant believe that this happened there.