Illinois Basic Skills Test

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by mcleod13, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mcleod13

mcleod13 Rookie

Dec 20, 2008

I am going to start preparing for the Test and I was wondering what the best book would be for review.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2008

Best bet is to start by taking advantage of the basic skills diagnostic on the official ICTS Web site to give yourself a clear sense of what you need to work on. Next, visit your local big bookstore that sells coffee; invest a latte or two in leafing through the available books to find the one that comes closest to meeting YOUR needs and meshing with YOUR learning style.

'Course, if you navigated the LSAT successfully, any worrying you're doing about this test is probably unnecessary.

4. mcleod13

mcleod13 Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

LOL.. Thanks.. I hated that test. I was going to do what you suggested, however, I looked online and they don't have any. Unless I looked at the wrong book.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2008

(chuckling)

Liking a test and navigating it are two very different propositions, mcleod. I don't now recall whether LSAT tests math, but it certainly tests thinking skills; your task, in fact, will probably be not to overthink.

If there really are no ICTS basic skills books, then look for help among the general skills refresher books - LearningExpress publishes quite a few and they're generally very good.

6. mcleod13

mcleod13 Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

Nope, the LSAT doesn't test Math. It is all Logic. It was terrible. I am going to call Barnes and Noble and ask them. Maybe they do have them in and it is just wrong online.

7. mcleod13

mcleod13 Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

Trying to find the right kind of book is confusing. I don't know if I should get a single book dedicated to the Basic Skills Test, or do you get a big book.

GRRR!!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2008

Have you done the practice test at http://www.icts.nesinc.com/IL_practest_opener.asp?

From the materials on the Web site, this looks like a pretty standard basic-skills test. I can imagine you not scoring as high as you think you should on the reading comprehension - but I can't imagine you not passing. Likewise for the writing assignment, which looks like a fairly standard "five-paragraph essay" of the kind we all wrote in high school: cover the points that need to be covered and don't get too fancy. So your main concern might be the math; your Barnes & Noble is bound to carry, in the education section, at least one workbook that would do nicely - this probably goes without saying, but check the table of contents or index to find the editions that cover the material you need to practice.

9. mcleod13

mcleod13 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008

Math will definitely be an issue for me. Not that I am bad in it, however, it has been a while. I will also need some refresher material for the writing. After 3 years of writing in IRAC (Issue, Reasoning, Analysis, Conclusion) or some variother of an IRAC, I am going to need some help to remember how to write.

10. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 17, 2009

IMHO, the ICTS Basic Skills Diagnostic Practice Test is a bunch of crap! The math portion of it certainly isn't representative of what's on the actual IBST. Not in the very least. There are so many math problems on the ICTS BSDPT that would NEVER be on the actual test.

I took the IBST for the very first time 2 or 3 years ago and got a 239 (a 240 is considered passing). When I took the ICTS BSDPT today, it told me I missed 23 out of 35. If that was actually true then there's no way I would've ever have missed the IBST by 1 point when I first took it.

If you want a good study guide, go to the ICTS website and download the field-specific information packet. (CLICK HERE to open a PDF of it.) The math that's on that is FAR MORE representative of what's on teh actual IBST.

Also, check out the ICTS test prep book by the REA (Research & Education Association). The ISBN # is 0-7386-0137-3. My uncle says that's a very good book and what helped him pass the IBST.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 17, 2009

The information on the ICTS Web site (http://www.icts.nesinc.com) is the gold standard as to what's on that test.

In my experience, those who indicate, one way or another, that "it's been a while" tend to do all right, with a little work and time. The fact that you're used to writing in an organized fashion will stand you in very good stead.

If you want one of the standard prep books, go to your local bookstore and examine the lot of them: it's possible for a very good book to be the wrong book fgor a particular test taker. Or you may prefer simply to review the skills, in which case some of the Skill Builders books from LearningExpress might be helpful - those will be among or near the test-preparation books.

12. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 18, 2009

Yes, however, as someone who took the real IBST and the ICTS Basic Skills Diagnostic Practice Test, I'm telling you the DPT isn't something good to use in the course of the IBST because the math portion isn't very representative of what's on the actual test. Gold standard or not, I'm sure others will agree with me on this if they were to do the DPT and then take the real test. There's many other good test materials out there that'll help far better than the DPT.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2009

The gold standard for what is on any teacher test is the test framework or subtest description plus the study guide, if it's a separate document. Between them they describe what it is that the test can test. Practice tests may or may not give a flavor of the test - and one of the huge mistakes that people make in prepping for tests is to assume that questions in the practice test are asked exactly as they'll be asked on the real test.

14. MrsOrion

MrsOrion Rookie

Feb 23, 2009

Hey Mcleod try googling Illinois Test Prep and there is a company named Mari Inc that accepts school PO's. They have some great test prep selections.

15. MrsOrion

MrsOrion Rookie

Feb 23, 2009

Spectrum Publishing makes them also i forgot to mention that

16. yank285

yank285 New Member

May 18, 2010

Hello,

I am also preparing for the Basic Skills test. I'm using the REA ICTS book that I checked out from my library. I'm a bit confused from the practice score that I received. I got 76.80% of the questions right. I missed a total of 29 questions (96 out of the 125).

Reading: 33/43
    Language Arts: 28/45
    Mathematics: 35/37

This practice test I took was from the CD within the REA ICTS book. My score analysis said 227. I just clicked "next" for the writing portion and this was my score. This was just a practice and i haven't prepared at all yet, but shouldn't i receive a passing score? Is the writing portion incorporated into the 3 digit score? From what I have read, one is required to pass Reading and Langauage Arts with 50% or better and Mathematics with 35% or better. Can someone please clarify? Will I be fine on the exam? Thanks!

17. strassy

strassy Rookie

May 23, 2010

I don't remember how the scoring works, as I took the basic skills test several years ago, but if you were a competent student in high school in the core subjects, you should do fine. Nearly everyone I know who took the test passed on their first try.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2010

The REA exam won't necessarily work like the real thing, yank285 - but if your performance isn't on track to pass, I'd be very surprised. I suspect you might be overthinking this exam just a bit. Breathe, please, okay?

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 24, 2010

You'll be fine. For real. I'm weak in math and I passed with flying colors on the first try. They don't mess around when they call it Basic! Study more for the certification tests. I found the elementary/middle test to be more (but not by much) difficult.