Illinois Basic Skills Test and APT-Early Childhood Test

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by CatieCat, Apr 11, 2009.

1. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

Hello, I am an Ohio teacher who is moving to Illinois. I recently was granted a provisional teaching certificate. I have to take the Basic Skills test and the APT Early Childhood test by January of 2010. My question is...do I have to take both on the same day? I read the hours and it seems like a terribly long day from 7:15-1:00 and then 1:30-7:15. Has anyone taken both tests on the same day? How was that? Also, I plan on prepping for the Basic Skills test and I have been able to find materials. Can you prep for the APT test? Any help would be appreciated...my head is spinning!:)

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 11, 2009

I took multiple tests in one day. It stinks- but it's doable. The day I did it, I was at the McCorrmick Place test sight and was able to get food. You can take it on separate days too. There are many test dates before 1/2010.

4. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

Thanks for the quick response! I am dreading it. Do you teach for CPS?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 12, 2009

If your deadlines allow, I'd recommend not taking the whole shebang in one day, CatieCat. If the APT exam is a subject matter exam rather than a pedagogy exam, you should find that the math prep for the basic skills test will help you with whatever math is on the other test.

6. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Apr 12, 2009

I agree. I think that it will be too much for me. If I feel like if I do bad on the first test then it will make me not do well on the second test.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 12, 2009

Yes- I do.

8. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

May 12, 2009

Anyone take either of the two tests? Thoughts?

9. cubsfan2008

cubsfan2008 Rookie

May 14, 2009

yep i took the basic skills in march. it's easy. i've been out of school for 4 years, took it, and passed it no problem. the math portion is very basic, the reading comp is really boring so make sure u concentrate really hard on that part, and the language arts part was similiar to sat questions. hope this helps. good luck!

10. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

May 16, 2009

Thanks for the response! Did you study for the test? How long did you study? I am taking it on June 6th.

11. Windy City

Windy City Companion

May 27, 2009

I had to take four tests total (3 for the license and 1 for my endorsement). I did the tests over two testing dates, but the thing that stinks is that you have to wait a long time between testing dates. It took me nearly a year to get my tests taken, transcripts reviewed, and license in hand. A major pain.

It really stunk having to do two in a day, but is possible if you can handle the pressure of it. I took plenty of high energy snacks to eat in the bathroom. I'd go every hour just for a mini-break.

I don't recall which tests have the essays, but I remember one day where I had a test that had one essay and another test that had two essays. I wouldn't do both of those in one day if I were you. I did that, and it was tough. I should rephrase. The essay itself wasn't tough, but the writing it longhand was hard! I wasn't used to doing all of that writing thanks to relying so much on computers. I was surprised at how much it hurt my fingers! But don't do what I did and freak out at 11:00 the night before because you realize you don't own any pencils! Thank goodness for 24 hour stores. :)

And I do not work for CPS. I went to one job fair, and it was awful. I am very happy working in the suburbs!

12. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I just got my test results back for both tests. I PASSED both! Yea!!! Now I just have to find a job!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2009

Congratulations, CatieCat!