IL Pre-K cuts

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Glenda, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Glenda

Glenda Rookie

Feb 6, 2010

I've taught in an IL state funded pre-k for 24 years. 15 of those years I've taught side by side with a great teacher, Janet. This last Friday we found out that our program is only funded at 60%. Janet has been told that next year she's moving to 3rd grade.

While I'm glad I'll still get to teach pre-k, I am absolutely devastated about losing my team mate. We've been through so much together. And I can't even talk to her about it much because she's not really ready to talk about it yet. Plus I don't know what to say except the obvious heartbreak.

This economy stinks. :(

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 7, 2010

I am so sorry. I also live in Illinois and our state funded preschool looks like it is in trouble too. What part of Illinois are you from? When I first started teaching I taught preschool. I was hired through our Counties Preschool Co-op and taught for two different school district for three years. Now I teach Kindergarten. I feel so bad for our Preschool teacher she just lost her husband and she doesn't know if she will have a job next year. I just hope each district can keep the preschools going, one reason being my son is on the waiting list next year for preschool. He is already in Speech, so I hope he will get to go to preschool next year, but who knows what will happen. We were told at the school district I work for that there will be a lot of changes next year. It could be very interesting next year.

4. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 7, 2010

The Georgia Pre-K program is having cuts as well. The funding for Resource Coordinators has been cut by 75% and we are losing our RC, but no teachers yet.

5. Glenda

Glenda Rookie

Feb 7, 2010

I teach in Clinton, IL. It's right in the middle of the state. It's between Bloomington-Normal and Decatur. I'm not just upset because of the loss of a dear friend as a co-teacher, but all of those little students who won't get to attend next year. That will cut our numbers from 100 to 60.

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 7, 2010

Small world Glenda, I use to go through Clinton all the time, when I was headed to school. I use to go to school in Lincoln at Lincoln Christian College. I think now it is a University. I lived there for three years. In fact my car broke down in Clinton one time on my way home. I don't get over that way much anymore. I live and work in Iroquois county, south of Kankakee.

I hate to see the preschool programs cut. My son will be four in May. Hopefully he will still be able to get in. Also as a Kindergarten teacher it is going to make my job a lot harder. Good luck, I know it is going to be hard.

7. Glenda

Glenda Rookie

Feb 7, 2010

Good grief! I hadn't even thought that far yet. Since my friend who teaches the 3 year old program is cut, I'll be the first teacher they have. My job will be TONS harder without them having the 3 year old program for a year. :eek:( It just keeps getting worse.