IL ECSE teachers certification?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MsTeckel, Jun 8, 2012.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 8, 2012

I have a type 10 special certification for special education LBS 1 in Illinois. Im getting my early childhood special education approval.

All (most) the jobs that Ive seen in IL state they want a type 04 (early childhood) with the ECSE approval.

Im going to assume it is because they want someone to teach regular early childhood kids and special education kids in a blended type classroom.

I really do not want to teach regular pre school kids...Id rather stick with a whole room of special needs kids.

Anyone have some insight on if having a type 10 with ECSE is even going to be worth it?

I've seen maybe 1 or 2 jobs that says type 04 or type 10 with ECSE approval.

3. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Jun 9, 2012

Look for positions in an "Instructional" or self-contained Early Childhood Special Education rooms (all special ed kids). In blended rooms, there is usually a general education teacher and a special education teacher... I would think you'd be qualified for the Special ed. position, but you might be right that they would rather hire someone with a Type 04 and special ed. endorsement. I feel like they also prefer having the special ed. endorsement over just the approval.

4. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 9, 2012

There is no such thing as a early childhood special education endorsement...just an approval. Im getting what I can get without getting a type 04.

to teach early childhood special education at all...you need a type 04 with the early childhood special education approval or a type 10 with the early childhood special education approval.

Im not sure if a type 04 with just a LBS 1 endorsement can teacher early childhood special education

Thanks for replying!

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 9, 2012

You need the approval on a 10 or 04 to teach ECSE. For instructional I think the preferred is the 10 with the ECSE. For the blended I don't think it matters, but it is helpful to have the EC background.

6. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 9, 2012

Really? thats not what Im seeing...Im seeing type 04 with the approval...I wish i could find a district that wants a 10 with the approval, i would feel better about my choice.

I found one district that wanted a type 04 AND type 10...he said both were required, wouldn't even consider a type 10 with the approval.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 10, 2012

Chicago will take the 10 with the approval.

8. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 10, 2012

i looked at CPS last night but didn't see any ECSE teacher postings. I looked at the bulletin but it only listed administrators.

I live bout 5 hours from Chicago though, but its not out of the question to move there