If you're unhappy at your school, what keeps you there?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 18, 2009

Some days I hate my school, some days I'm miserable, and some days I'm just okay with it.

There's only 3 reasons I stay:
    1 - First and foremost, my team. I LOVE my team. They're my family away from home.

2 - I teach only Literacy and Social Studies, my 2 favorite subjects. I also really like 5th grade

3 - Scared to leave! Last year my principal made threats about s leaving, and said we'd need a really good reason to leave. Yikes!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 18, 2009

1. I love the teachers that I work with.
    2. I love the class that I teach.
    3. I need to pay my bills!

Unfortunately #1 and #2 aren't enough to keep me at the school. I work in a small school with only 8 teachers. I will be looking for a new job at the end of the year along with 4 other teachers at my school (1 other teacher who would like to leave only has a probationary contract so can't). That will leave 2 teachers on probationary contracts who are planning on "happily" staying (one of them was run off from her old school, so this one is great in her opinion).

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 18, 2009

I'm generally the "think w/ my head, not w/ my heart" type person...at least I really try to be, so, I definitely agree w/ Proud2BATeacher on this one. Liking my coworkers & kids definitely isn't enough for me to stay on any job, if I'm unhappy & hating it.

If I know I don't have another (preferrably better paying) job waiting in the wings, I'm staying for the money. Now I'll be the first to say that money isn't everything & life is too short to be unhappy, but we do what we have to do to survive. I'd definitely be working on something to change my situation soon if I'm unhappy about something.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2009

1- The job market
    2- The fear the grass won't be greener

I hate my drive, my school is not very up-to-date. It is the best in my county, but it does not even compare to the inner city schools where I am from.
    The district I live in is wealthy. Every student in 3-12 has their own personal laptop. They have lots of technology. They also have phenomenal scores and are considered some of the best schools in the state- definitely the best in a 6 county radius.
    I want that. Bad.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 18, 2009

Which county?

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 18, 2009

I'm scared of that too, but the way I see it, it can't be any worse.:huh:

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 18, 2009

Things can always be better, things can always be worse. A teacher has to know what they want to tolerate about their jobs to make them stay there.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

Fortunately I love my school. It has its flaws, but I wouldn't really want to work anywhere else. I wouldn't mind trading in a few people for upgrades but that's a different thread.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I love where I am- I have no plans of ever leaving.

I have had jobs that weren't my dream jobs- I stayed. It's what professionals do. I showed up everyday, knocked it out of the park on a consistent basis, got excellent reviews and kept my 'feelers' out for other opportunities. My dream job came along- it's where I am now. Bloom where you are planted- hone your skills, be professional, do a great job. Make the kids feel supported, capable and connected....and keep looking for the place that is the best fit for you- there's nothing wrong with seeing what's 'out there'.

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

I was at a nightmare of a school last year. My husband told me he would support me if I left mid-year, but I stayed for the following reasons:

1. Commitment to the kids- I couldn't leave the students that I cared about mid-year without an explanation.

2. Commitment to my coworkers- They were my support system, the people I trusted most (besides family and friends), and they understood what I was going through because they were too (all the teachers left after the first year of the school being open).

3. Like czacza said, I made a professional commitment. I worked hard (for myself and my kids) and completed my commitment. In addition, I didn't want to give the administration the satisfaction of knowing that their torture bothered me. I just smiled along as my future brightened.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

I don't hate where I am at, but I don't love it either. I am staying because the job market is so horrible right now. I am bored with where I am at. I guess that is the best way to put it. But, I guess I would rather be bored than hate it. Once the job market improves, I will try searching for greener pastures....

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2009

This year is not a good year for my class but I will stay for 2 more years because;
    1) My daughter is in college and it costs$
    2) My assistant is the most wonderful person in the world and I don't want to work with anyone else and we want to retire together
    3) I save tons of money walking to work
    4) I am planning on outlasting the P

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009

Great answer!

15. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

I don't plan to leave mid-year, but things are absolutely crazy in my district.

I stay because:
    1) I love the faculty, staff, and administration
    2) My class is awesome
    3) I desperately need the money and the market here isn't the best

I will likely be looking for other opportunities next year, but if nothing comes to me in time, then I'll stay in my current school for another year (provided I'm not dropped b/c of budget issues).

16. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

This year working at my school is tough, but I stay because:

1) I have been at this school for several years prior to this year's new principal. I know the change is because of his personality and management style (paranoid micromanager). I won't let him be the reason I leave, and I know in my district principal's stay between 2-4 years at a school before moving on to a different school.

2) I LOVE my students. I enjoy everything about them.

3) I believe strongly in the vision the staff has always had for our school and community. Even though the principal now believes it should only be about test scores, I know the rest of the staff does not feel that way and will not just let that happen to our students and families.

17. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Oct 18, 2009

I am staying at my school this year because I made a commitment to my student when I started the school year. This school had several classes (including mine) that had numerous teachers/subs during the school year last year. I would never leave the kids mid year.

I am nervous about whether I will find a better placement next year, but I will start looking actively in February. I will not leave my current school until I find something else (even though I will have to get letters of recommendation from my school).

I love my kids, and most of the other teachers are great. I just don't appreciate the way the administration treats us.

18. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

Giraffe, how far do you drive each day?

19. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 20, 2009

I did not like the last school I taught at, but I stuck it out. HOWEVER, the first chance that I saw a transfer open, I applied for it, and I was out of there. I love my new school. Yes, it doesn't have near the technology or nice facilities of my other school, but this school has an awesome staff and we truly "have each other's back."

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 20, 2009

I'm happy with my school. The things that really make be happy are my teacher friends, the admin, and the fact it is close:) So I guess if things went south, those would be the things that would keep me there.

21. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2009

...AND YOU KNOW IT...
    CLAP YOUR HANDS!

IF YOU'RE UNHAPPY @ YOUR SCHOOL AND YOU KNOW IT
    CLAP YOUR HANDS...:lol:
    Just messing with you...:D
    I hope things will get better for you.
    Hang in there,

Rebel1

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 21, 2009

1. My family--took the job to get my kids, my husband and I on the same schedule.

2. My mom bought a house in my district so she can be by my kids...if I switched jobs my kids would not attend school here. They are transfers.

I will be leaving when my son graduates in three years. I have already decided. I am padding my resume to make the move easier. I am volunteering at local and state level to serve on committees to meet the people that will help me relocate. And hopefully offer me a job.

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2009

The only reason I am at mine right now is I signed a contract. I will probably look at the end of the year.