If You're Called @ the Last Minute, Do You...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 30, 2009

rush around?

I CERTAINLY DO NOT! If subs are called late, that's the school's problem. I'm not going to rush around getting ready & then drive like a mad person risking my safety to get there. The truth is that the schools don't know how far away you live & what things you have to do. And unless you show up halfway into the day, you're supposed to still get paid your FULL DAY.

For example, today, I was called at 8:30 to be there at 8:30, but I didn't fret. I got ready at the same pace I always do & arrived at a little before 10:00. The school was just glad someone showed up at all. :)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2009

It's been a few years since I've subbed, but I had several late calls when I did. I told the caller (usually someone at the school for a late call) that I would get there as soon as possible. I did get into the school as quickly as I could--usually leaving the house within 15-20 minutes of getting the call. We have several preferred subs at our school who can (and do) arrive within half an hour of us placing an emergency call to them.

4. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

Give them your best estimate for an arrival time.

One school has an awful parking situation and can easily add 7 or 8 additional minutes for late arrivals.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2009

What's VERY COOL about it YOU GET PAID for a whole day even if you show up late! I pulled a 5er and got paid for an 8er.:D
    Rebel1

6. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

I do get ready quicker and rush a little more but I don't drive unsafely or fast or anything like that. But when I do get called, I do tell them a ball park of how long it will take me just so they know. But once, I got called once at 9:15 and was asked to come in for 9:30 and didn't get there until about 9:50 and I am about 15 minutes away from the school.. the secretary at the front desk seemed annoyed, which I didn't think was fair!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 1, 2009

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I give myself about an hour to get ready (& I still NEVER eat breakfast or fix my lunch) & then most places I have to go takes about 30 min, so I wake up a good hr & 30 min before I have to be somewhere.

I also have a dog I have to feed & tend to, so that's what I mean when I say these schools don't know how far you live & what things you have to do in the mornings. :)

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 1, 2009

No I do not rush around either, the secretaries and the teachers know I am on my way.

9. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Oct 1, 2009

In my experience last minute calls are correlated with a higher-than-usual percentage of unpleasant subbing experiences:

* no lesson plan
    * a teacher that doesn't tell the school until the last minute (unorganized, procrastinating teacher)
    * sub just realized what teacher they were subbing for and backed out, etc

Some are legit and result in a normal day but generally speaking I do my best to avoid them by staying scheduled in advance.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 1, 2009

fratermus, while I would normally agree w/ that, for ME personally, I don't really have to worry too much about that because I ONLY sub for RSP & speech classes, so RSP classes always have aides who would have gotten things started already & can tell me everything I want to know & w/ speech, it's so easy to sub those I can basically jump in at the drop of a dime! :D

11. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Oct 1, 2009

I have come to realize that unless the school is very nearby, I probably can get there within the hour... usually not much sooner, just for practical reasons like travel time, showering and walking the dog. I usually try to call the office (we have a computerized system) and let them know.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2009

When I subbed I didn't rush around, but would hurry a little more than usual. I have been called only a couple times and one because a teacher's car had flat or something. They called when school would be starting & I said I'd be there as soon as I could.

But like someone said they were just glad to have someone there.

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2009

If I'm in the middle of a bunch of honey-dos ....... I will probably go to school........ Of course my wife will probably call the school in an hour to see if I'm there.....:lol::lol:

14. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 1, 2009

We have a system here (SEMS) and it tends to call at the last minute, regardless of how the teacher put in for the job. In training we were told if you get a call and the job is due to start at any minute, or has already started, call the school, make sure the school didn't secure a sub on their list, and take your time getting there. That is what I do...and I'm rarely that late.

The latest I've been is 30 minutes. I got lost going to a school on the Westside of ABQ, I live on the East side. I took one exit too soon off I-40 and ended up 15 minutes out of the way. I was lost for 10minutes before calling the school, I was still 10 minutes from start time. They gave me different directions and I got more lost, retraced my steps, recalled the school. Found out where I was, took a wrong turn, slid my jeep across Rio Bravo (TERRIFYING), and finally found the school 20 minutes later. To my surprise the school and teachers were not mad, they understood how I got lost. Which helped me feel better, I stopped wanting to cry.

15. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 1, 2009

Oh I hate when that happens too! I tend to get lost and would pray that I get to the right place soon. It always works though! I am glad you found your way to the school and that the teachers were sympathetic.

16. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 1, 2009

I supplied for awhile before getting a full time position. We were expected to be at school on time. Our teachers teach 3 1/2 75- minute periods a day and get paid over 200$. A school wouldn't call us if we couldn't drive to their school in the time left. We are expected to get out of the house very quickly if necessary. They do know how far we are from the school and they expect us to be prompt - not drive too fast - but make it in about 10-15 minutes longer than it takes to drive :)

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2009

If we need to call a last minute sub (which we have had to do a few times already this year--for a teacher who was rear-ended on her way in to work, for one who needed to be rushed to the hospital, again from school, and another with a sick child) we need somethere at the school as soon as possible. If someone can't make it in for over an hour, we'll try others on our list until we find someone who can. One of our preferred subs arrived one day 15 minutes after getting a call!

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 2, 2009

When I was still subbing and I would get that rare emergency call, all I could think about was that classroom of kids that needed me.