If your first year teaching was grueling...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 30, 2008

So many people say that your first year teaching is, well, h*ll!

If you had a really difficult first year (and who doesn't, really?) what was your primary motivation for wanting to put yourself through it all over again?

I imagine that new teachers see such tremendous growth in themselves during their first year, that they figure their growth with double during their second year, and they want to see "what happens" if they stick it out for another round.

What made you come back?

3. Mr Flamingo

Mr Flamingo Rookie

Jun 30, 2008

I don't think that it necessarily has to be just your first year. It could be any year. Some years are good and others can be terrible due to different factors. I had a year this year (my 8th) in which I almost though several times, "How am I going to make it through this year?" For me, it was great to have supportive family and friends. I also just know that THIS is where I need to be and THIS is what I need to be doing. That all helps me get through it better. I'm looking forward to the new year in a somewhat new grade level (have taught it previously), and a new "start".

4. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jun 30, 2008

Well, I changed schools and moved to a better teaching situation.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2008

While I did not like my school and didn't get a job for my second year, I figured I could tough it out. I tried to identify the things I needed to work on and plan for those. I absolutely hated my school at the end of my second year. I was trying to get out of there by any means necessary. Bills dictated that I needed a job at about the same pay, but I was burned out so that could have been anything as long as I was away from that school. I'm glad I got another job at a school that I love, so now I can see myself in education for a long time.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 30, 2008

My first year has been excellent... I was surprised at how easy it's been... now that was in an LTS position for most of the year... next year is a brand new kettle of fish in a brand new position... no one to compare me to... I'm excited, but a little nervous...

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2008

Well, I actually LOVED my first year. It was HARD, HARD, HARD... but it was also awesome. I learned so much. It was a great assignment. I was the afternoon kinder teacher, so I watched the morning teacher teach. She had taught for over 10 years. So, I had a great mentor! I also started the year off with 8 kids. It slowly climbed to a full class, BUT it was nice to start off with small numbers. THe next year was at a different school. I was a full day teacher in my own class. I was excited because I now had my own class to decorate and control. I felt like a guest teacher the first year. But, it was a full class and I was on my own. It was a pretty good year too. Learned a lot.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2008

I had a TERRIBLE first year. I was ready to quit teaching, except of course I needed the money. So I kept doing it, moved schools and found my groove. Now, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my job.