If you wrote a children's book...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Alicia Ortego, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Alicia Ortego

Alicia Ortego Rookie

Jan 20, 2022

If you wrote a children's book, what would you write about?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2022

I would write about something I believed in, was knowledgeable about, and had a way for me use creativity in a way that a child could relate to. Science is my passion, and I love working with students of all ages, finding "hooks" to get them passionate too. If you don't have a passion for the subject matter, it becomes a real chore to make it interesting and fresh.

4. Alicia Ortego

Alicia Ortego Rookie

Jan 27, 2022

I love your ideas about "hooks". Teachers are indeed always in the search of that sparks to motivate kids to learn.

5. Alicia Ortego

Alicia Ortego Rookie

Feb 23, 2022

I am a published author. I just want to spread ideas of kindness, accepatnce, gratitude, and honesty among more and more kids and their parents. That's why I am seeking new ways of seeking readers.

6. Crumble96

Crumble96 Rookie

Feb 23, 2022

I wonder how people manage to cope up with the new ideas for children's books because I often seem that everything have already been described.

7. Alicia Ortego

Alicia Ortego Rookie

Feb 23, 2022

I guess that similar children's books topics are seen at times. But sometimes it't not the topic that you discuss, it's how you write about it. For example, I wrote Acceptance is My Superpower, describing issues that kids face every day and ensuring that they have a superpower like accepting others with their differences equally and treating them with respect. On the other hand "Red. A Crayon's Story" by Michael Hall discusses a similar topic but in a completely different setting.

8. Alicia Ortego

Alicia Ortego Rookie

Mar 31, 2022

I actually have a book a book Honesty. it has just come out. You can check it out here https://aliciaortego.com/honesty-is-my-superpower/. If you want I can email it you.

9. Amanda Steele

Amanda Steele Rookie

Apr 30, 2022

If I were writing a children's book, it would probably be a little psychological. Something to convey to children that they are unique, that you need to believe in yourself. Somehow in simple plain language, with lots of examples. I would write a book that would be useful and interesting to read if I were a child. What I missed as a child.

10. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Apr 30, 2022

I have had an idea for years to take a summer to write and illustrate a picture book inspired by my mechanic and the cat that lives in his garage. He doesn't really like the cat but keeps it to take care of the mice. I wanted to tell the story from the viewpoint of the cat. I need to practice my watercolor skills more than storytelling. Then summer comes and all my good plans take a back seat to hanging out by the pool, drinks, and fishing.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 2, 2022

I have spoken with a lot of writers and they say they have to schedule time during the day to write or it won't get done. Like first thing in the morning set aside an hour or two. If you write it down on a calendar it will more likely get done.

12. Alicia Ortego

Alicia Ortego Rookie

May 12, 2022

Confidence is a crucial skill for kids. The hard part is that parents have to teach that to kids with their own experience. That's why if a parent has confidence issues then kids are left helpless. And I think that books about believing in yourself could help a lot.
    I actually have one about believing in yourself and developing self-esteem. I can send you a copy if you want.

13. Alicia Ortego

Alicia Ortego Rookie

May 12, 2022

I saw this thing on TED where you can do a 30-day challenge and try anything you have ever wanted but lacked motivation. There was an example about writing a book, where you have to write 1700 words a day and have yourself a complete book in 30 days. This book may not be a perfect one but you still wrote it and completed your plan.

14. Guitart

Guitart Companion

May 12, 2022

This would be cool if you can get PD credits for it. That would motivate me more than the personal accomplishment to complete it. Anyone know of PD courses on writing a book?

Alicia Ortego likes this.