If you were asked to evacuate your home, right away, WHAT WOULD YOU GRAB?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebel1, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2012

I would grab the so called "emergency backpack" that I am supposed to have near the front door or @ a spot near the front door; that I will remember where it's at.:lol: I have been to a couple emergency preparedness workshops, and they simply state to either have this bag ready with all the necessities I can use for at least 48 hours, (or 72?) There is also supposed to be another bag in the back of my car with certain things for emergency. For your car stuff, especially if you live in a hot area, do not put stuff that would be ruined by the heat in your car, while it sits out in the hot sun. Does anyone have these in case of an emergency? We never think about it, BUT I was...:D
    just wondering...
    :)
    Rebel1

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

2 safes, jewelry, cats

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

I have bookbag I take to the basement with me during tornadoes. Yep, I sure do! Some important paperwork, pictures, and some other treasures. It's not for survival...I have other resources in the basement for that. So I would take that if I had to evacuate.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2012

YOU are not going to have time to grab all that stuff woman!:lol:
    Rebel1

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

My cat, laptop, and pillow.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

Hoosband, dogs, car keys.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 8, 2012

I honestly don't have anything of too much value ( monetary or sentimental) that I would think of grabbing. I would probably just grab some clothes.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2012

My dog and cat first (they would most likely be already on my lap or right next to me). Then my kindle and my phone (also right next to me).

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 8, 2012

Oh yes, how could I forget my phone! Mine's always right by me as well. :)

11. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2012

My husband, my dog with leash and harness, my cats with cat carriers, medication, and keys, then if there was time clothing, sleeping bags, a first aid kit, water, and packaged food.

12. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Sep 9, 2012

I'd definitely take my computer as many sentimental photos are in there. I also have my teacher portfolio binder, which has my certification. Definitely don't want to have to pay to get the certificate again.

Let's hope none of us has to deal with this.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2012

I recently moved, so the bulk of all my important stuff, which are important papers, are at my parents' house. If I just grabbed my dog, anything else can be replaced. If I had at least 10 min, I'd lug my computer into my car.

14. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 9, 2012

Unplug my computer, toss it and the external HDs into the giant plastic bin next to the computer that contains a chunk of my medical records. Grab my tablet, put it in there. Grab my laptop case, put it on my shoulder. My brother will get the cat into her carrier and we'll grab the cat food on our way out

Boom, evacuation plan.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2012

cat, cell phone, wallet, binder with my important papers, laptop. This summer when all the wildfires were here I had my car packed up with clothes, medicine, water, all of my important documents, and a pillow/blanket in case of evacuation. The area I lived in earlier this summer was given notice to prepare for evacuation but fortunately they got the fire contained before we had to go.

16. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

dogs, small file w/ important docs, and my shoe-box with special letters from family and friends

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

Dog & Terri
    Cell phone & fanny pack (wallet and info)
    Computer & HD 2 min (all my records and pictures)
    My meds
    Water
    some "easy Grab" food
    my gun
    I have a fold up wagon I bought at Costco within reach, with my emergency kit in it if it is not in the van already (my step daughter was a member of CERT, Community Emergency Response Team, at her high school so she got me in the habit of having a emergency kit ready.)
    I already have one set of clothes in the Van (old habit, I have had clothes ruined by pens, by students, etc. so I always have an extra set ready)
    If I have the time I'd grab my wheelchair
    I try never to have less than a half of tank of gas, Living on the east coast got me in that habit.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2012

My husband, kids, and dog. Everything else is just stuff.

We don't have an emergency kit, but then again we're in the northeast. Weather emergencies here tend to come with lots of warning: hurricanes work their way up the coast, blizzards show up on radar. We're not in earthquake or tornado prone areas, in spite of the occasional blip (like yesterday's twisters in Coney Island and Brighton Beach.)

Any sort of evacuations on Long Island tend to be away from the coastline. I'm mid-Island, about as far from the coast as you can actually get on LI. Last year, when my brother, mom and 2 sisters all were supposed to evacuate in the face of Hurricane Irene, my house was in the area they would have evacuated to.

I do have emergency supplies in the basement; they've been there ever since the days just following 9/11. My house is well enough stocked that we could live off the pantry for quite some time.

If something really unforseen came along, day a plane crashing into my back yard, I would get us all out. I would get to a phone and call one of my sisters or my brother. That's all that would be necessary. And they know I would do the same for them.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 9, 2012

My husband, my two dogs, my gun, my meds, my phone,my Bible, clothes, computer (if time) and easy to carry food. I would then call my son to meet up with him.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

Provided my fiance and cat are out, the first "thing" i would grab would be my jewelry box. A lot of the furniture and smaller things in my house were made by my pop-pop before he passed away. The jewelry box would be a chance to grab one of those things he made, plus it has other heirlooms inside, and my fiance's dad's watch. I feel like as far as sentimental things go, it would be the most "bang for it's buck" so to say.

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2012

cats, purse/phone.

22. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 9, 2012

Computer, cat, a bin of family pictures, cell phone charger.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2012

This is random, but with all the mention of animals, something I have in my bookbag is this light. Maybe I'm just crazy, but the couple of times we've been in the general path of a tornado, I clipped this on my dog and turned it on. It blinks very brightly. Just in case...

[​IMG]

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

That's a really smart idea, JustMe.

I really need to get my emergency kit together.

25. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

As a person who has worked at an evacuation center during our fires, remember your cell phone charger! I can't tell you how many people were caught in this situation. Also have a hard copy of important phone numbers, including an out-of-town contact.

Also, insurance information. If your house burns down and you can't even remember who your insurance company is, let along your policy number, agent or coverage, that is a problem.

If you don't have your medications with you, that is a problem, obviously. At least have a card in your wallet with the medications, doctor's phone number, insurance information, etc. Our local pharmacist was serving the couple thousand people in our evacuation center, some without life saving medications, on the weekend, with little or no information from some. She was saving lives that should have taken care of themselves, working overnight the first night to get stuff done.

Make sure you have cages, etc, for your animals. Most evacuation centers won't let them in, but you can leave them outside. In our case, they eventually brought cages, but not the first 24 hours. If your animals need meds or special food, remember that is well. An evacuation bag for your animals is a good idea. If you have horses, etc. do you have a plan how to get them out?

Do you have a plan if your family is separated? Where would you meet? Who would you all call?

It is common that people are caught away from their homes when disaster strikes. All members of your family should have a kit in their cars. Back up important information and give it to a family member outside the area or have it at work or in the "cloud" so you can get it anywhere with internet service.

The cell phone thing was important here because as long as people could call their home phone, and the answering machine answered, they knew their home was standing. If not, it could be the lines or the house itself.

Sorry this was long, but be prepared. You don't want to have to depend on others. My husband worked evacuation in New Orleans and the stories were horrendous (much of which didn't make the news). Help yourself!

26. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

I forgot an important one - comfortable, safe shoes. High heels and sandals won't make it if there are hazards and glass on the ground or you have to walk long distances.

Oh, and cash. If the electricity is out you can't use those cards.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2012

Rebel...if I said I'd take my shoes then I wouldn't have time...:lol:

Actually I evacuated in 1989 from Charleston SC as Hurricane Hugo was approaching. I was 6 month pregnant, dh was away on a ship, had a dead car in the driveway, and was home alone on the Navy base with 4 year old son. A neighbor made reservations at a La Quinta Inn in Columbia, loaned me her second car, and we caravaned (along with most of the Charleston area residents) out of town. Truthfully, I don't remember what I brought.

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2012

I've only had to evacuate once, and I was actually out of town at the time and heard it on the news while I was sitting 50+ miles away in the doctor's office.

I always keep an emergency bag packed, but it didn't do me any good in that instance since it was at home and I wasn't. It was originally packed because I ahd to leave in the middle of the night for medical emergencies. It had all my medicine, all the basic toiletries, cash, paper/pencil, and a change of clothes.

I still have it packed. I jokingly call it my running away from home bag.

My purse, keys, phone, etc. are always in the same spot and easy to grab. I keep a change of clothes, a pillow, and a blanket in my vehicle.

29. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 9, 2012

sc, that is a great list that you posted. I am going to print it out! Thanks so much!