If you use Daily 5 in K/1st grades

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jlj, Jul 15, 2011.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 15, 2011

would you please share pictures of your centers board & share how you schedule & rotate?
    Posted this is Kindergarten but meant to post in 1st.

3. newteacher1st

newteacher1st Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

I use a center wheel that works very well. It is hard to describe and I'm not sure if I have a picture of it anywhere. It is a poster board with a smaller circle in the middle with one of those brass fasteners so the wheel will spin. The circle is divided into 5 sections each with a different color. The lines extend out of the poster board. On the circle I write the kids names in their group, on the outside I write the center and directions. It is easy to turn the wheel and rotate to the next center.

4. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 23, 2011

If you are doing Daily 5, you don't schedule and rotate your kids. Student choice is an important part of the Daily 5.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 23, 2011

By schedule & rotate I'm wondering when in the day you do the Daily 5, how long do they stay in each area??

6. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

We do it for about an hour and a half in the morning. They do 3 sessions plus sharing/mini-lessons/reflection between the sessions.

7. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

We do the whole building, start at a minute until we eventually get to 20 minutes. We do 3 sessions as well- I don't have them do work on writing (we do a regular WW-shop later) and listen to reading is not always an option because I only have 2 computers for students to use.

I have three cardboard circles that I labeled and stapled (in the center) to a BB. Then each student has a regular clip (laundry one) with their name on it. They put their clip on the circle wherever they were going first. (When they got to the point of having free choice)