If You Use Bucket Fillers With Your Class....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jun 30, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

how do you logistically do it? I want to implement this next year because I want to do more to encourage classroom community. I have the story to read to them and think I can get the concept across. My problem is where to put their "buckets" to fill for each other. I've seen it done in a fabric shoe rack-but I'm not going to have anywhere to put one of those where they are going to be able to reach all the pockets.

Has anyone done this activity with a class where you had more limited space?:help:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I made a poster with library pockets. I laminated it. It held up well- but I'm not sure it would hold up as well in kinder. (Or are you switching grades? I'm thinking that was mentioned, but I could be going crazy.)

4. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 30, 2013

I bought a pocket chart to put their "buckets" in. I found a blank bucket template online and that's what they decorate and then we attach it to the little pocket envelopes that are used in library books. Then I have little slips of paper that are tired to Character Counts! traits and that's where students pick a trait that a classmate followed and write their reason why. Then they slip it in their bucket and we empty them every Friday.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 30, 2013

I did something similar but instead of the bucket, I did a "Tree of Kindness." I made a giant paper tree in the hallway and had pre-cut apples. Anyone making a kind gesture got to put an apple on the tree. The kids loved it. And no buckets necessary.

Although, there's no cute book to go with the tree! ;-)

You might just make a huge paper bucket in your hallway, have shapes, stars, moons, etc. ready to go and whenever someone does something kind, they can put a shape in your paper bucket. It's fun to watch it "fill up." We had kiddos across the hallway saying, "Look! Their tree is growing!" It was cute.

6. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jun 30, 2013

I used a pocket chart as well, but instead of buckets, we have "bushels".

I found some small bushels that fit perfectly on each pocket. I then just used some clear 8.5 x 11 labels and printed out the student numbers. The kids then come to me and ask to "fill a bushel". I then hand them an index card and they write out their compliment, support, etc.

I then get it back (to make sure they're not writing anything mean and anonymous) and put a little apple sticker on it. This shows it's been approved by me.

I then place it in the student's numbered pocket.

I wasn't sure how well this was going to be a hit, but even the fourth-graders love it! :) I'll be doing it again next year, as it DOES build up community.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 1, 2013

No, you're not going crazy! ;) I am going to loop to 1st-one of the reasons I know I have to do something different with this group.

Thank you all for your suggestions! :thanks:

8. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Jul 1, 2013

I have a bucket in my room, provided by the school. They said it was for pooping in in the event of a protracted lockdown. I fervently hope never to have to use it.

9. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 1, 2013

I use small buckets(Oriental) and put them on the back of the a/c shelf! Next year they will hang them from an upper cabinet with hooks. I number students, so I have used the same buckets!! Back when Vistaprint had deals, I got business cards for them to write on....I will probably run out of them this year!! Hope you find something that works well! Most of my students enjoy the bucket filling.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

I did this too, but next year I am thinking about using this:
    http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/Products/AttendanceMultiuse/PocketChart/5644

It seems kind of big though, so I may just go with the library pocket poster again. I had the kids decorate bucket templates.

I got all the templates for the buckets and the slips the kids write on from here: http://www.steveandcat.net/mrswalker/bucket_fillers.htm

I started out really well with the bucket filling, but then wasn't as consistent towards the end of the year. I want to be better about it next year! :)

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 1, 2013

I have been really looking into this and I'm going to try it out this year... I think I'm going to do the library card holders.

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 1, 2013

I use a bucket (one larger one) for students to use. I have no room for little buckets or pocket chart to place in my room.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

Is there ever a child that doesn't have anything in their bucket at the end of the week? How do you handle that?

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

I love the sticker so you know it's teacher approved!

15. SunnyTB

SunnyTB Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

Sorry for the noob question, but could someone explain the concept of bucket fillers? Or a site that explains it? I found some sites that I think are related, but not within the context of school.

I have not heard of it before.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 1, 2013

Yes. There was a business-oriented book (How Full Is Your Bucket) that was published years ago talking about how a majority of people feel under-appreciated. The more people are appreciated the more effective they are at their jobs. How everyone has this invisible bucket and if you do/say something nice-it fills that other person's bucket as well as yours. If you do something mean it takes out of your bucket as well as the other person. The goal is to live in a way that you are always filling buckets. A children's version came out a few years ago.

iteach-when I've done it in the past one day of the week I would assign everyone someone to write something nice about-so everyone had one. I also talked to them about how you don't just have to write your friends but think about those who may not be appreciated as often, but deserve recognition nonetheless.

17. SunnyTB

SunnyTB Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

Thank you, Kinder! That sounds like such a great concept to implement in the classroom.

18. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Jul 1, 2013

We did this in 3rd grade. Someone put a folded up paper with a dead fly squished inside in my holder and I've never forgotten it.

19. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

Aside from assigning- how did you find the filling went- was it spread out? Were there kids constantly without anything in their bucket (except the assigned nice note)? Did they seem to listen to the talk about not only writing to your friends?

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I've used it, promoted it, dropped it. Too much work to worry about" filling a bucket". Yes kiddos do a great job...and I acknowledge them at the time they do it. I was a fan of bucket filler, not anymore. It just isn't practical on a daily basis. What IS practical is love and praise...that never goes out of style. A fluff ball in a "bucket" hasn't changed things. It is the reminder and example that makes a difference in my opinion. I have just chosen to remind them in another way...everyday. I make it a more natural consequence for behavior, either positive or negative.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 2, 2013

With my class last year, this was much less of a problem than I'd fear. I just really pushed them to write notes to kids who were not their friends. Sometimes I would ask my very helpful, generous kids to write notes to the kids who's buckets were almost empty. I also write notes, so the kids with less notes will get one from me. :) But I had a very sweet class, so it worked well with them. I can see that different strategies may need to be used with a different class.

When we passed out the notes for the kids to read, they weren't allowed to show each other. I didn't want the "I have 5, how many do you have?" conversation.

I'm not sure what you mean about the fluffball - I have seen that before, I guess, but I (and others on this thread) are talking about something different I think. My kids fill out very short, one sentence notes to each other saying something nice about another person. It's not a behavior management system; it's a community building system.

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

As Daisies said, I can see how it wouldn't work with some classes, but there are a lot of things that work for one class and don't work with another. When I've tried this in the past I have seen a positive change in the kids that even as I said, translated into how they "filled" buckets at home as well. I can't even imagine it entering into their minds to write something negative to a classmate-that's just not in this group.

I made it an activity in their writing station as well-so you know some of them were writing a lot of messages to a lot of different people. ;)

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

The fluffball was a way to "fill the bucket". When someone filled someone's bucket or if I caught them doing so, they had a pompon put in their bucket. When the bucket was full, pompon's removed and a sticker put on bucket, and then the filling would start over again.

I know it isn't a behavior management system. I've just found it to become time consuming and not necessary in community building. As I said, acknowledgement and praise have worked just as well or better then trying to fill a bucket every time someone does something positive. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just relating my experience with it. I read the story and mention it during the year when I see positive things, I have just dropped the step of putting a pompon in a bucket and found this works just as well for me.

24. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

I think I might agree with kinderkids. Now I've never tried it...but I just envision it becoming very time consuming. I could see kids writing out little messages all the time, or kids who write painfully slow taking forever to write out their sentence, or constantly having to worry about who has nothing in their bucket so their feelings don't get hurt.

I like the overall idea though and would maybe think of ways to incorporate verbal praise between students in the classroom regularly. This way it doesn't become something kids are keeping track of or comparing their compliments to each other.

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2013

I did it in the fabric shoe rack, so I have no advice there. I did it only during the 2010-2011 school year, when I tried TONS of interesting things (LOL), but... my only issue was that kids were not always fair in who they affirmed. Some kids were affirmed a lot more than others, which was hurtful. I had to write some on my own.

Maybe-- don't use buckets? Adhere library card holders to a heavy-duty posterboard? Put pictures of buckets on the holders? (Ducks and hides... I think I just posted something that sounded somewhat silly with the pictures idea, but... maybe it could work?)

It was such a neat idea, though, and I plan on implementing something like it, but a little different next year.

26. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 2, 2013

Of course - why didn't I think of that?! I think I'll include that in work on writing this year. :)

Thanks for the explanation - that's actually what I was thinking you meant, because I've seen that method on blogs before. I know you weren't saying it doesn't work. I never would say that everyone should have a bucket filling system - everyone should just do what works in their particular classroom!

These were all things I was worried about, but none of them happened last year. I would usually take little 10-15 minute time periods and have the kids fill out as many slips as they could during that time. Some would get 5 slips done, some would only get 1 done. It really depends on the particular class I think...last year's group was very conscientious and made sure that everyone had slips in their pockets. I had to do very little prompting. But we will see how this year's group is!

Edit: I found this bucket graphic set from TPT that might be useful to someone: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Buckets-Clipart-Graphics-From-the-Pond-293224 :)