If you or someone you know has or had anxiety, how did they "overcome" it?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jan 19, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 19, 2011

I understand anxiety when reading about it in a book but felt a need to go talk to a counselor to get more tips on how to deal with things easier when there are challenging circumstances/problems going on and life in general except for being married, isn't the way (or "complete") I envisioned it but I'm getting there! I just need to let God control more things and chill (but do what I need to do to get there). :) I'm at one of those big transitional stages right now in my life hence the anxiety!

Besides exercise, what really helps you or helped you if you are completely over anxious feelings/physical sensations?

Hopefully some people on here can relate and share their experiences to help otheres. Thanks!

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 19, 2011

I can totally relate. Seriously! I would love ways to overcome anxiety as well. I do know that there are two different types of anxiety. Physical and Mental.

Physical is when your palms sweat, heart races, dizziness, feelings of panic attack.

Mental is worry, constant thoughts, negative thoughts.

I am total mental and its starting to slowly become physical. I hate it. :(

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 19, 2011

I think mine is slowly starting, I fear for my future years. I honestly just pray and I can still calm myself down. I just feel my heart racing and sometimes I feel nauseous. However, a friend of mine had to be placed on medication and therapy for hers. She had a lot going on in her life and she couldn't deal with it alone. Some women I know have also used a brown paper bag to breathe in and out of, that helps them.

I think talking about it, is a great step.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2011

Medication.

6. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jan 19, 2011

I have worked on myself to not get stressed out about work, and that has helped a lot. I don't let myself bring work home this year.

I try to use every minute of my planning and lunch times wisely, so that I can do all of my planning and most of my grading done in school. It helps that I have been in my current position for several years and by this time, it doesn't take much time to plan out my week. I try to snag the photocopy machine right at dismissal time before the lines form, and I will try to copy at least a week's worth for a subject or even a unit's worth of copies at a time. When I get paperwork, I try to fill it out on that day or as soon as possible so I know it's done and I don't need to worry about it. Thursday/Friday afternoons, I will make sure I am pretty much planned out for the coming week. Having my weekend to myself, and not having to think about work stuff helps a lot.

Occasionally, I'll start getting that warning lump feeling in my throat/dizzyness or heat flashes in school--thankfully I haven't had a real anxiety attack this year at school (I had one last year but didn't realize what it was till this summer after I ended up in the ER with one)--then I will chew on a piece of peppermint gum, and, silly as it might sound, that does help. I will also open the window, as cold air helps.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 19, 2011

I've always been an anxious person, since I was a kid.

When I was working on my first Masters degree, my anxiety escalated and I was having panic attacks several times a week.

Those went away for a few years.

Then, my 3rd year of teaching, my anxiety escalated again, to the point that leaving the house would send me into a tail spin.

I now take an anti-depressant. I was supposed to titrate up to a larger dose, but I never did. I've been on the starting dose only.

I LIKE myself better. I like being able to have a "normal" amount of worry and concern instead of dealing with panic, pacing, repetitive thoughts, etc.

8. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jan 19, 2011

Well, what is it exactly that seems to cause the anxiety? Determining the root of the problem is most helpful but also most difficult.

I've found that some people with perfectionist tendencies or unrealistic expectations of themselves tend to suffer from anxiety.

In my own life, I had to "let go" of the control. I really had to focus on understanding that I do not control everything. I do not control the future or what problems may be coming. All I can do is have faith that I can handle whatever does come my way.

Practicing that helps me to keep worrisome anxiety-type feelings at bay. I also remind myself that every difficult experience is where I learn the most.

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 20, 2011

Xanax lol.. really really helps. It just takes that edge off.

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 20, 2011

Short Answer: talk therapy & medication

Long answer: Cognative-behavioral therapy has worked wonders for me. It was something I avoided and did not give my "all" in until the past 2 years or so. I solely relied on the medication to do it's wonders without any real "effort" on my part.

note: the amount of effort I was able to put forth in therapy was not due to laziness or willpower. I was so anxious and depressed that I was not in the right frame of mind to reap the benefits of therapy. Whether it was a trust issue, an embarassment issue, or whatever.

As for medication... they're wonderful, but a strong word of caution. It took years for doctors to find the right combo of antidepressants and antianxiety to help me.

As I am sure you know what works for me might not work for you, etc.

I am currently taking Effexor XR which is labeled an antidepressant, but is also used for GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) so I am thrilled that it kills two birds w/ one stone for me. I believe it's also approved for PMDD so if you notice anxiety worse around your period, it could help with that - too.

For sure, as Tiffany said, get to the root of your anxiety -- which therapy is a great tool to help with that!!

I really also wish to learn Yoga and meditation and have ordered some "baby and me" Yoga videos and some relaxation tapes. I'll let you know how it goes.

One more thing: if your anxiety keeps you up at night... for example, you feel like you can't turn your brain off and it's 1 AM and you're worried about tomorrow's Science test or that Mom emailing you about her kid's D on a math test, etc... Share this with your doctor/therapist. Sleep is so so so important and it's 110% easier to be anxious and sad when you're sleep-deprived. :)

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 20, 2011

I know I need medication. I am doing the therapy part(or at least trying) I am just afraid of how the medicine will make me feel and what it will do to me.
    :(

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 20, 2011

I know everyone's experience is different, but I had only 1 day of feeling weird after starting my medication. Now, it is only if I go more than 24 hours or so without the medicine that I start to feel funny (though that feeling isn't awful, just off).

13. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 20, 2011

In college I took a few different prescriptions and they made me feel sooo bad. IT was terrible.

Consider seeing a naturopath for herb suggestions or have them make a herb tincture. Or try rescue remedy....these usually don't have side effects and you can (I think) stop them when you want. I think they're a safe choice but then again I'm interested in not having weird side effects.

14. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jan 20, 2011

I've been seeing a therapist since May to deal with my anxiety and other issues (I'm an emotional binger). She gave me a relaxation exercise that I listen to when I feel my anxiety start to creep up. It works really well for me.

My husband actually gets panic attacks his anxiety is so bad (uncontrollable shaking, teeth chattering, nausea and sometimes dry heaving). He absolutely refuses to see a therapist or take medication, so he does some breathing exercises that he read about online and a couple other things that has really helped him relax.

15. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 20, 2011

Regarding medication side effects: Some are awful and unbearable. Others may require lifestyle changes.

Many medications to help with mood issues like anxiety and depression carry with them a slew of undesirable side effects, such as sexual problems, weight gain, dry/cotton mouth, and a few others.

When I was having a really rough time of it, I begged my doctor to switch my antidepressant to one that would not cause weight gain.

In retrospect, I can not believe I was placing outward appearance (in no way was I getting unhealthily overweight or obese) above my happiness and mental health. However, it's where my frame of mind was at the time...

16. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 20, 2011

Some people have anxiety issues when thinking about the various options of medication. I am so afraid of the side effects.I have heard they are pretty bad.

17. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 20, 2011

Poor thing... for sure talk to a doctor about that concern.

Thinking of you.

:hugs:

18. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 20, 2011

I need to be thought of....seriously!!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2011

I have had really high anxiety lately, too. I fear it will only get worse, since my life seems to get more complicated and stressful the older I get, and the more people who I love die. I think I might go on meds in the future. I hope you start feeling well. Just remember we are here for you.

20. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 20, 2011

I'm currently seeing a therapist for social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, social phobia, and social detachment.

He does a combination of a few forms of therapy, mostly doing talk therapy.

One thing he recommends to most of his patients who are capable of it is doing Karate or Yoga, something along those lines. The exercises will help relax the body.

21. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Jan 21, 2011

Hi!

I had an anxiety issue over a year ago concerning school (imagine that!) I went to a counselor who prescribed lexapro (worked really great) and ambien (worked great also). It really helped me get through what I needed to with school and get sleep (which wasn't helping the anxiety). This happened in November 2009 and by the summer I was able to stop taking it cold turkey without any trouble. Best thing I could have done for myself.

22. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 21, 2011

Last year I started therapy - it was the first time in my life, I did not believe in therapies before-. I visited a psiquiatrist too and she gave me some pills cause I could not sleep well.
    Luckily, I`m better now, I `m taking half of a pill at dinner and that`s it. I go on with therapy sessions cause I consider them very useful in my everyday life.

I hope you get better. hugs

23. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jan 24, 2011

I agree you could try herbal remedies like St. John's wort, melatonin, valerian root, etc. I tried all of them, but they didn't really help me. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I was in a job I hated, with really harsh administrators that caused me anxiety. For me, it was absolutely crucial for me to quit that job. It was detrimental to my health.

While I was finishing that job, Xanax was really important for me to get through the day. I took one almost every day. I could really feel the anxiety subsiding about 5 minutes after I took one. Since resigning, I am down to maybe one a month. I also take Effexor daily for depression, and I found out that depression was really my main problem. Anxiety was just a symptom of all the sadness and exhaustion and overwhelmedness. I also see a therapist about once a month. I started with every other week and have decreased as I feel better.

I also found out that I have a sleeping disorder that causes me to stop breathing at night and I was basically waking myself up almost a hundred times a night. I now have to use an oxygen machine at night, but I'm so much more alert and able to function.

I would suggest going to your main doctor and telling them your symptoms. Have them do blood work and tests to make sure your iron is good, your sugar is good, etc. Lots of physical problems could be causing anxiety or depression.

Having a mantra or something to focus on helped me some when I was feeling anxious. I would recite something to myself that would take my mind off of me for a while. For me it was "Green Eggs and Ham," which I pretty much knew by heart. My mother, who also has anxiety, sings the alphabet song to herself. It also helped me to sip a drink or have something to squeeze in my hands. Get yourself a stress ball or something you can manipulate. Also just getting to another room or out in the hall or by myself for a minute helped me too.

I tried Lexapro, then Prozac, then Effexor. I'm currently on a high level of Effexor, which I hope to decrease with time. But I can't say I had bad side effects with any of the meds. I did gain a little weight (like 20 lbs I had lost) when I started Lexapro, but I was basically nauseous and running around and not eating before I started it. I also had a few, um, bathroom issues when I started Effexor, but that tapered off in about a week. The change in my mood and my overall quality of life are worth it, though. I hope you get the relief you seek.

24. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jan 24, 2011

I've tried just about every med out there. Effexor seemed to make things WAY worse and Zoloft did nothing. I'm on Celexa now and I take Melatonin at night. It works well for me. I just worry about the the day when I decide to get off it because after one day without it...I get weepy and light headed. I also have some Xanax, but I hardly take them because I don't feel anxious as much anymore. Staying busy, seeing a counselor and yoga helps. I don't get much girl time, so I find that when I do get to hang out with them, I feel SO much better.

Hope you get to feeling better. Been there, done that....for 15 years now. As someone said earlier, it can take a while to find the right mix of meds that work for you.

25. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 25, 2011

Even though I am on medication for my anxiety, I started doing yoga last year. I love it. I feel so good after doing it-even if it is only once a week. My doctor also told me to deal with minute by minute, and force myself to replace any negative, worrisome thoughts with pleasant-while deep breathing. He also recommended buying a relaxation tape that I can listen to with earphones-to block out noise. My anxiety is both mental and physical. These techniques have been working for 6 years now!

26. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 25, 2011

knitter63,
    I started doing yoga last year, too. It seems to me this is one of the best activities in my week. I do like it! Yes, it helps !