If you only had 2 weeks to spend in Europe, where would you go/do?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2011

So, my hubby and I decided to get back into planning for our trip to Europe next summer.

So, if you had two weeks to spend in Europe (sadly, that's all we have since he will have racked up only 2 weeks worth of vacation time by next summer, :(), where would you go, what would you do? Any recommendations?

I have family in Germany, so we plan to stay there (in Berlin and in a small town on the west side).

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2011

Actually, that's 12 business days that he gets off. I forgot to count the weekends too. That'll add more days to our trip! :)

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 16, 2011

Well, I'm glad you're still going since I may not get to go to Paris & the Olympics in London next summer! :( My trip was planned for 2 wks too...oh good, 3 wks is def better.

I started bookmarking all these sites, but haven't yet had time to look through them really. Off the top of my head, these come to mind:

Stonehenge
    Tower of London
    Harrod's - I love to shop!
    Ride the London Eye
    How about getting tickets for one of Europe's Cirque du Soliel performances?

There's a lot more things I know.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 16, 2011

Stonehenge--I agree. It is such an awsome experience. I also loved London's museums. They have things older than the USA.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 16, 2011

I'm not sure if you'll be going into Eastern Europe at all, but I HIGHLY recommend Budapest. It's often overlooked, but it is an incredibly beautiful city. I love it. Hungary is really a beautiful country in general.

And there's Italy, of course - I have only been to Venice, but I LOVED it. Definitely worth a day trip!!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2011

We were thinking about flying into London and staying there for a few days and then going to France through that channel tunnel.

Ms. I, what happened? Do you think you can still go? Or is the trip totally cancelled?

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2011

Never thought about Budapest... I'll have to look into it.

Anything in Italy that is a must see?

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 16, 2011

I have only been to Venice, but I wish I'd had time to visit more of Italy - Rome especially! I think it really depends what you both want to see on your trip - everyone is different! :)

Budapest is a beautiful city with a rich history, but since it's a little out of the way from most European destinations, being in Eastern Europe, I think it's often overlooked! It's worth looking into, though. :)

No matter what you decide to do, I'm sure it will be amazing!! Several years down the line, when I have a real job and our student loans are a little more manageable, I'm hoping my husband and I can make a similar trip. :) He has never been to Europe.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 16, 2011

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2011

Well, I guess what I would love to see when I go to Europe is the geology (as I'm a geology nerd), the scenery, and the archetect. I'm not really into shopping or anything like that. And I would like to try to avoid lots of crowds. I do want to go to Disneyland in France. I'm hoping I can plan it so that I can meet up with my family from Germany.

I would love to see the fjords in Norway.

12. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 16, 2011

I went two years ago. London is great!! The best things there were my nephews!!! (My sister lives in England) Say hi if you happen to see the two cutest boys in the world!!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2011

Wait--- now you may cancel???

OK, Peachy, let's assume you're already sold on London.

Paris was pretty, though I'm not sure I would want to return. ( I went as a chaperone of 50 high school girls, and most of the people we saw weren't real happy to see us, though the kids were very well behaved. So perhaps my view is colored by that.)

I would love to see Scandanvia!! Any picture I've ever seen of Norway, Sweden or Denmark has always looked so magical!

Oh, and somehow I've never seen Ireland, I want to get there someday as well.

14. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 17, 2011

Italy!! I fell in love with Italy. The people are so welcoming, the architecture is beautiful, the colors are so warm, and the food is the best in I've eaten. I would repeat the trip I took over spring break all over again.

I would go to Milan and see tons of museums, then drive a few miles to a nearby villages with beautiful lakes and the most amazing food ever. I would also go to Florence, Venice, Rome, and Naples.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2011

I've lived in Europe (the UK). PM me if you want specific advice about England, Ireland or Scotland. We traveled a LOT and spent time in: Germany, Austria, Amsterdam, France, Poland, and sweden. If I was going to go back and had only 2weeks, I'd divide it this way:
    London and British countryside: 5 days
    Ireland (my favorite place ever!): 3 days
    Paris: 2days
    Austria: 2days
    Germany: 3 days.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2011

Ireland and Scotland, where my ancestors came from, in fact my Cousin is in Ireland right now on Vacation.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2011

Thanks guys. Kimrandy, thanks for the breakdown. The only worry I have is that it looks like we'll be there during the summer Olympics. I'm almost thinking of avoiding England altogether. :(

Ms. I, I read through that thread. I do remember when you first started it, but I went on my camping trip and didn't see it since. It's a shame that you are canceling it! I don't want to hijack my own thread here, but there's no chance of going just you and your aunt, at least?

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2011

My family and I are leaving tomorrow for a 2 week whirlwind tour. We are spending a week in Denmark (the happiest country on Earth). That would be too long for most people but we are seeing family. I'm looking forward to visiting the Danish resistance museum and Legoland. We are also seeing a bunch of other countries out of the window of a rental car including a day in Paris. We are renting a car since there are 4 of us but you could depend on the train if there are only 2. We got our Paris hotel with marriot points. I know we won't see anywhere for very long but I can tell you more in August.

19. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 17, 2011

I backpacked through Europe 10 years ago. I loved Cinque Terre. My family is in Northern Italy - Trieste an hr from Venice and it is beautiful there.
    I would love to go to Spain (never made it there last time) and I want to go to the Amalfi Coast.

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 17, 2011

I just went to Paris in May with my parents and we had no problems with the people. Everyone was as helpful as could be, gave us directions, tried to explain things in English, etc... My experience there could not have been more positive! I absolutely love Paris and am already planning a trip back in the next few years.

We also went to Switzerland, which was just breathtaking! We absolutely loved Lauterbrunnen (easily my parents' favorite stop) and stayed here http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...gfrau_Region_Bernese_Oberland_Swiss_Alps.html It was the nicest hotel we stayed at in Europe! None of us cared for Luzern but we had one rainy day there so that could have influenced our opinions as well.

We had the same amount of time you will and did 5 days in Paris, 3 in Montreux, 3 in Lauterbrunnen, 2 in Luzern, and 1 in Zurich. Or something like that, I may be a little off... Montreux in Switzerland was phenomenal as well!

Next on my list is Paris, Loire Valley, and Italy. After that it will be an equestrian vacation in Ireland.

Edit: Also, wanted to add that the train systems are amazing! We didn't have to use a car once, not even a taxi except from the airport to our hotel and hotel back to the airport! We used the metro in Paris and found it extremely user friendly. We got swiss rail passes and used those to go all over Switzerland. It's worth the money to upgrade your rail passes to first class :thumb:

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2011

I'm glad you added this part. I've been looking online for car rental companies. Since I have family in Germany, I know transportation will be fine there. I was mainly worried about getting around in the other countries. I know there is a eurorail pass that you can buy. I will look into the swiss rail pass.

22. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 17, 2011

Swiss Rail Pass worked perfect! We went to Montreux, Lauterbrunnen, Luzern, and Zurich and countless other little mini half day trips with the passes! All of our hotels were walking distance to the train stations as well except Zurich though Luzern was sort of a hike. We each took suitcases with the four wheels. Zurich we took the train straight to the airport and picked up the airport shuttle :lol:

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Well, it's not looking good, but I'll give an update when I know more.

24. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 18, 2011

Lausanne Switzerland! Of course London for a few days, and Italy - Florence, Venice, must see Rome and try to visit the Vatican.

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011

I studied abroad in Spain, and then spent a few days in London. I never realized how removed Spain was from the rest of Europe, and I hope to go back soon to explore some other countries. I would love to visit the Alps--I watch the Tour de France every summer and imagine living in one of those beautiful little mountain villages!

26. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

I just got back from a 2 week trip to Europe and I agree, Switzerland is amazing! But also very expensive. I met up with some Swiss friends who wanted to go out to eat Mexican food one night. One friend warned me that it was "a little expensive, but not too bad." We got there and one burrito was $26. It was just like a burrito you can get anywhere in the U.S....just 20+ dollars more. My boyfriend and I didn't manage to find a meal for less than $30-50 each.
    Have you thought about France? Southern France has some beautiful places. Gordes comes to mind. There are many other little towns around Gordes that are beautiful. That's if you like a more "dry" climate.
    If you head from Germany down into Switzerland I recommend stopping in Lindau, Germany for one night. It's on the water on Lake Constance and is on the border of Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

Here are some pictures from my trip:
    Gordes, France:
    [​IMG]

Lezzeno, Italy (on Lake Como)
    [​IMG]

Lindau, Germany
    [​IMG]

Appenzell, Switzerland...a small, amazing town near the mountains. We took a gondola up the mountain and while hiking on our way down we passed this restaurant!
    [​IMG]

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

Wow. Amazing pictures, Jessica!