If you make tenure = Job Security

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by raynor, Jun 19, 2009.

1. raynor

raynor Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

I was wondering if this true with other school districts, apparently where I am, if you've made a certain amount of years (I think 3 years) after that point....you can pretty much get away with the "little things" without getting the boot.

It's called Tenure...and once you have it, you can go ahead and have your fun at bars and run around in bikini's if you'd like.

Because, from what I gather it's VERY costly to terminate a teacher. One can get suspended, but not terminated.

Now there ARE exceptions to the rule that CAN get you terminated, but like I said it's near impossible once you've made your X amount of years.

Just be the good little angel for the first few. lol

Is this true for other districts?

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

the district does have to go through alot of hassle to fire you once you're tenured. But if they document eventually, if it's bad they can get rid of even tenured teachers.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2009

It is not impossible to fire teachers with tenure. It has happened twice in my high school building in the past 10 years. And I mean fired - in one instance, that day. Get your things, leave your keys and get out (and no wasn't anything sexual).

The other teacher was fired within the month for handing out certain brochures in her class to students.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 19, 2009

Tenure is after 3 years. It's much more difficult to fire a teacher but it still does happen. In my area if you end up on the news for something then you're pretty much canned.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

what kind of brochure?

We had a teacher fired this year that has taught for years and years. She took lots of meds and was bi polar. there was speculation that she was taking other meds, possibly alcohol.

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 19, 2009

It may be more difficult but doesn't mean you have job security - if your district is constantly losing students and closing schools down and you are one of the ones on the bottom of list even iwth tenure you will be the one to go - either moved to another school, to another grade level, or just let go.

8. raynor

raynor Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

Yeah, THOSE were one of the reasons. Apparently there's only CERTAIN instances that can get you canned. The news thing that can be damaging to the reputation of the school can be one of them.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2009

Some states don't have tenure.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 19, 2009

INTeacher ... I'm curious!

11. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jun 19, 2009

Tenure rules vary state to state. Some states have only a year or two probation period while others have up to five. Some do not have tenure at all. It is not easy to get fire tenured teachers. Sometimes there is no real major cause to fire, but the teacher is just plain not good at their job. That can actually be hard to document.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

If the things you do while having fun in bars and running around in bikinis would cause you to get into trouble in your teaching job, probably they aren't a good idea (or legal) anyway. :whistle:

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2009

religious brochures and the other one went out of lunch didn't come back until 5th period and was drunk

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

Here tenure is 2 years. I got non reelected and lost my job a day before I would have had tenure. :( Now I need to start over in a new district.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2009

:eek: INteacher!!

kat~I'm sorry. :(

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

I am leaving a district where I have tenure and going to a new district. That is the scariest part of moving districts - even when it's a good move that you want.