If you have the time...Need some ideas please!!!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by greenfiremajick, Aug 7, 2005.

1. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

OK- so I went out and bought these really cute little books for my little ones....
    [​IMG]
    I included the pic...They are aprox 5" x 8" and I have no idea what to do with them!!! I also got some little nametags that are bordered by books, so I figured I would label each book with each child's name...But i need some sort of activity to go with them!!!!!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2005

Have them dictate their experience on the first day of school. They can illustrate. Take a photo of each to include.

4. jkkroll

jkkroll Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

Where did you get those books? They are soooo cute. How many pages do they have in them?

You could use them for writers workshop.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2005

Great way to use journal! Maybe have a specific writing prompt each month for tracking and assessing progress. One prompt we use is..

"This is me in ___________" (each month). They draw a picture and write at bottom. That way, you can keep all of them together and really watch growth. Good end of the year gift for parents, too.

Where did you find those booklets?

6. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

jkkroll and lve2tch-

i got them at www.classroomdirect.com...i just tried to go to their site, so i could give u their link to the item directly, but i think their site is having probs right now....but here is the item #!!

77720 HG
    they are labeled as "Bright Books Set"
    (you get 20 books for $23.99)

so you can find them when the site is back to normal...who knows maybe it's already working!!! i like the ideas you gave me...especially the part about giving them to the parents at the end of the yr!!

7. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

I think i will def have to dig out the digi camera!! (We just moved and i can't seem to find ANYTHING!!!!

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 8, 2005

I think if you have one book per kid, then let them use them to do a "me" book, let them do a self portrate of them, thier family, pet, favorite color, favortie food,etc.. they can cut out pictures from magazines for some of them.

9. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

ooohhhh...thats a gd idea as well! i think i can fit in all the ideas! instead of a baby book for mom n dad, it will b a growing up/remembrance book!!

10. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

ooohhhh...thats a gd idea as well! i think i can fit in all the ideas! instead of a baby book for mom n dad, it will b a growing up/remembrance book!!

11. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 8, 2005

I worked with a teacher who took pictures of our students on special events that took place in our 1st grade classroom. Then we wrote about these special days. The students wrote and the we edited and the wrote the good copy in the book.

List of examples:
    First Day of School
    First Snow Day
    Halloween
    Best Friend in the classroom
    Class picture
    Poetry Day
    First Day of Spring
    Holidays
    Picture with a family member who came in to read as a special reader

I love those books. I am thinking of purchasing them for my classroom. Thanks for the information.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2005

I do something like that and put it together as a memory book as a surprise for the kids and parents at the end of the year. I include pictures, lots of pictures from throught the year, and also some samples of their work month by month in different areas, for instance how they first wrote their letters and numbers, compared to end of the year, sample of name writing beginning,middle and end of year, self portrait etc. It gives parents a great visual of their growth and they really appreciate these books.

13. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

you're welcome and ty for the extra ideas!!

14. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

i just met a parent today that was really stressing the importance of how much he wanted to see the daily work that his child was doing....he wants to see the actual progress....i think an end of year book would be great for that!!! thx!!

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2005

Is this his first child? I would guess it was because , we know as K teachers that daily work is hard to show since so much is hands on. That is why weekly newsletters come in handy, so parents can read about what the kiddos are learning.. Also, another idea to track progress is through journaling. I do journals everyday in K and at conferences in Nov., parents are already amazed at the progress. :)