If you have ESOL students, where are they from?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 19, 2008

My ESOL student is from India! :) I can tell by having her in my classroom one day that there is quite a difference between education in this country and her country. She came from there last year, but speaks, writes, and spells perfect English.

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 19, 2008

Most of my ESOL students are Hispanic. I do have one girl who is part French but I don't think she will qualify for the program since she did really well on the CELLA test yesterday. I am still yet to meet some of my kids

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2008

Last year we had students from over 25 countries who have 43 different first languages.

5. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I am an ESL teacher.

In my school we have over 20 languages represented.

In the group that I taught last year I had children from more than 20 countries with 15+ languages represented!

Albania (Albanian)
    China (Mandarin and Cantonese)
    Israel (Hebrew)
    Russia (Russian)
    South Korea (Korean)
    Mexico (Spanish)
    Pakistan (Urdu)
    Lebanon (Arabic)
    Poland (Polish)
    Tunisia (French & Arabic)
    Taiwan (Chinese)
    Ukraine (Russian & Ukrainian)
    Kazakhstan (Russian & Kazakh)
    Uzbekistan (Russian & Uzbek)
    Peru (Spanish)
    Vietnam (Vietnamese)
    Guatemala (Spanish)
    Ukraine (Russian & Ukrainian)
    El Salvador (Spanish)
    Ecuador (Spanish)
    Morocco (French & Arabic)

One of the best things about my school is how incredibly diverse it is. It is such an amazing dynamic to have a classroom full of people from around the world. I love it, love it. To see the children form friendships across cultural boundaries is really outstanding.

Someone mentioned before that it is clear that educational, value, and cultural systems are different around the world which couldn't be more true. I love my job so much because it allows me to not only be exposed (vicariously) to the cultures around the world, but it allows me to help children with many, very special needs. And, I get to combine my loves of education, language, and culture!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2008

Almost all my ELL students are from Mexico, Central America, South America, or Romania. (Weird combination, I know.) The most common Central and South American countries represented are Guatemala, Nicaragua, and El Salvador.

7. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 20, 2008

Most of our ELL students come from Mexico, El Salvador, Russia, Vietnam, Somolia, and Ghana. We get a lot of refugees. Many of the refugees have never been in a school before.

8. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Aug 20, 2008

Iteach2,
    I am very interested in teachers' experiences with teaching refugees. Everything must be incredibly hard for them, yet, at the same time, I can imagine that teaching refugee children must be incredibly rewarding, and can surely be a positive experience for the children as well.

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 20, 2008

They are definetely some of the best students and most appreciative! Some have to be taught about bathrooms, water fountains, turning on/off lights, etc...things we take forgranted.

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 20, 2008

Most of my students come from Mexico, Central America, South America. This year I will have a Chinese student and a few Indian. I also have a few Haitian. Yes it makes conferences interesting when you don't have a translator for the parents.

I had a Russian student one year who didn't speak till April of that school year! Once she started she didn't stop.

11. bonnie84

bonnie84 New Member

Aug 20, 2008

Most of my esol students are from Puerto Rico. One is French and one is from Honduras, 78 in all!

12. kidefl

kidefl Rookie

Aug 22, 2008

I'd really be interested in knowing where you are and the student's
    approximate numeration by country. ESOL was my first teaching job. I do TEFL at present.