If you have a concern, can you see your principal right away?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Feb 9, 2010.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Feb 9, 2010

At our school, we have to make an appointment to see our principal. Sometimes a teacher is not granted an appointment for several days or until a week later. Sometimes, the teacher is put off and never given an appointment. One teacher with a concern who was put off in this way went to the office and said she was not budging until she spoke to the principal about her concern. She was eventually seen.

When I spoke to my sister (who teaches at three different schools in another district) about this, she was shocked. She said that at each of the schools where she works, the principals have open door policies, unless they are in a meeting.

I'm curious as to which of these experiences is more typical. How easily can you get in to see your principal?

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 9, 2010

I can see my principal almost immediately, every time. Occasionally, he may be out of the office for some reason, but I would always be able to see him that day.

4. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Feb 9, 2010

Your principal may be trained in Malichi (or the Breakthrough Coach). It is an organizational way for business managers to effectively coach their staff without losing their entire personal life.

It has trickled over into school administrators. One component is staff making an appointment with the P versus just randomly taking time away from him/her. However, the P is supposed to have 2-3 "coaching" days per week where they are available all day and at anytime to teachers, additional staff, etc.

I am trained in it and it has totally changed my life (I have more free time now).

However, just like with anything else, it can be taken to an extreme. I would never expect my staff to make an appointment with me (just takes away from the personal feel that I'm all about) but I do expect that from parents as much as possible (if its a crisis situation and they really need me, I'll stop what I'm doing. Otherwise, they view my time as very valuable).

Anyway, I hope this makes sense.

5. lareed

lareed Companion

Feb 9, 2010

the principal and asst. p at my school are both always open to meeting us that day

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2010

Normally, yes.

If he's not around, the AP is. And through all the crises of the past year and a half, one or the other was always there and available.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 9, 2010

All of the principals I've worked for have had open door policies.

Now, when I was doing my student teaching, I couldn't even tell you if they HAD a principal. I never met him. He never stopped in to introduce himself. I never saw him out and about in the building. I heard his voice on the intercom. I started thinking of him like the Wizard of Oz.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 9, 2010

I can see her anytime as long as she is there and not in a meeting.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2010

Open door--both the principal and vice-principal. If I know it's something that will take more than a minute or two, I may email first to ask when would be a good time to meet.

10. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Feb 9, 2010

Open door unless in a mtg. If its going to take a bit I ask her for a good time

11. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 9, 2010

I've only been a sub so I'm sure its different, but I've only once had a principal not be able to make time for me the day I was there - and that was because she was in the midst of breaking up three fights (and interestingly I just wanted to get my story of breaking up a fight on the record)

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 9, 2010

If I have a concern I usually walk in if the door is open and voice my concern. We need to be assertive or we won't get what we need. I never have a problem doing this. I would speak to your union rep.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2010

Our P is in her office with the door open approx. 1/4 of the week. We are welcome to see her on those occasions.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2010

What happens the other 3/4 of the week?

15. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Feb 9, 2010

Except for one or two crazy days where we kept missing each other, I have never had a problem getting to see my principal when needed.

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 9, 2010

It's tough catching up with my principal, he's gone a whole lot. We leave post-it notes on his office door, or we'll send him emails which he doesn't respond to in a timely fashion. I've had events happen in my room which really needed immediate attention and had to deal with things by myself. It's very frustrating.

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2010

I'm also able to just stop in, and if he's not in a meeting then we can talk. I've only had two different principals, but it was the same with both of them. But sometimes I do make appointments if it's something really important and I don't want to be interrupted.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2010

We only have a principal, not an AP. So, as long as the principal is in, we can see her pretty much whenever we need to. I mean, there are obviously times when she's busy with something, like an observation or a discipline issue, but if that's the case, she'll come find us when she's done. If she's completely out of the building, there is usually a designee in charge that we can see.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 9, 2010

I can usually see the P the same day or the next day, I can always see P or AP the same day unless it is a very rare circumstance. I think waiting a week is extreme, by then a situation may have escalated or gone much further than it needed to.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 9, 2010

My P has an open door policy. I've seen teachers schedule time to sit with her. I just stop by. If it is TRULY important, I let my P know instantly. If it is something I need by the end of the day, that's how I say it thus giving her control over when the best time is for her. If it isn't too crucial then I just wait for a time that looks like she has more down time. I don't schedule a meeting unless I have multiple concerns to bring up or something really sensitive. Half the time, I just email it. I can see someone's point about having a personal life though. We even have her personal pager that we all frequently use.

I want to add that coming to her often and telling her all kinds of things from actual concerns to fun stuff my class did has actually helped me. I got favorable feedback on my evaluation for keeping in touch when I know at least 2 other teachers that were counted off for not keeping in touch enough. It has also helped me develop a rapport with my boss.

21. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 9, 2010

Definitely open door with both my AP and P. I'm much more likely to go to my AP as she is also my supervisor, but if I felt I needed to see the P I could definitely get to him as well. Possibly not at a moment's notice, but certainly before the end of the day.

22. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 9, 2010

Open door, literally and figuratively. We can make appointments if we want to really sit down and chat about something, but spur of the moment stuff happens all the time.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2010

Open door policy for the P and our 2 APs. There has never been a time where I have been turned away when I've needed to talk to either one of these men.

24. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2010

If her door is open, she will normally talk with us. I do like to schedule things sometimes, but sometimes I just go in to chat/talk about things.

25. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 9, 2010

Open door - always (unless he is in a meeting). Even then, we usually get time to talk before leaving.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 9, 2010

Our staff chocolate club basket used to be in our boss' office. I stopped by several times a day for the pick me up as did others.

27. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Feb 9, 2010

With our principal it depends on if you are in favor with him. If you are, then he has an open door unless in a meeting. If not, good luck getting to talk with him. However, our AP is available unless in a meeting.

28. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Feb 9, 2010

Our APs have an open door policy, you can stop by whenever needed unless they're in a meeting. Literally, they keep their office doors open and you can drop by and shoot questions or talk something over. If you can't find them, you can't shoot them an e-mail and they'll generally respond with an hour or two.

Our Principal however, you have to have an appointment to talk him. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever had a conversation with him. But that's a good thing. If the principal has a daily relationship with you and you're not a department head (which I'm not), you probably are well on your way out the door.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2010

Even if my P or AP is busy or teaching, his secretary will let me know what time she can squeeze me in. It will always be later that same day.

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 10, 2010

Both of our admins have open doors and are willing to drop what they are doing to talk. Sometimes they are in closed door meetings and I can leave a message with the principal, they come find me later.

Both of our admins also have blackberries, so, even if they are out of the office, they can respond.

31. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 10, 2010

Totally open door if P isn't in a meeting or supervising at another location. The VPs not only have a wide open door, they usually offer you coffee or a snack the second you hit the door frame of their office. I am very, VERY lucky to have my administration.

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2010

My P has an open door policy....unless she is busy at that moment, I can always go to see her. We don't have a VP anymore (they cut the position...BOO!) so she tries to be as open to the staff as possible. She asks parents to make appointments though.

33. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 10, 2010

If she is in her office, we can drop by to talk. Anytime.

34. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Feb 10, 2010

Open door for principal and assistant principal.

35. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

open door for both principal and ap......
    I have been known to stalk if needed:D