If you had total control over a language arts curriculum

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Upsadaisy, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 17, 2013

for an 8th grade student who is a reluctant reader, what would you plan to offer? Are there specific books you would have him or her read? Genres you would teach? Specific writing program you'd follow or a philosophy of writing that you'd utilize? What percentage of the course would grammar entail?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 17, 2013

I would get more into graphic novels, including manga. My students pick a LOT of that genre for their independent reading, and I think the graphic novel versions of Shakespeare would really help them cross over into the visual aspect lost in just reading the script and not seeing a production.

4. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Oct 17, 2013

I only have a second..will try and post more later. The book I've had the most success with is The Outsiders. As for grammar teach it with writing. Write everyday.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 17, 2013

Good advice already. Can't wait to hear more. Thanks.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 17, 2013

-bump-

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 17, 2013

I would choose short stories and shorter novels and let him choose at least some of the novels (of course I'd provide him with a lot of choices). I wold focus on grammar a bit, but not overdo it. More focus on writing and use the novels as well as the student's own thoughts / ideas to write about.

For example I have a LOT of reluctant readers. Actually I'd say almost none of my students like to read. Right now we're doing autobiographies and this is their chance to have their very own stories heard, and they're very much into it.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 17, 2013

The Outsiders for sure! I also had success with The Hunger Games.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 17, 2013

This student is female, by the way. I am going to try to tailor it to her specific needs. My goal is just to have her use literature to develop a broader view of the world through characters. I had planned to read the Outsiders already.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 17, 2013

I'd get the novels,
    1.the Outsiders
    2. Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie
    3 Schooled.

11. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 18, 2013

My reluctant boy readers love Neal Shusterman (especially the "Unwind" trilogy) and Jordan Sonnenblick ("Notes from the Midnight Driver", "Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie")

We have purchased many books from these authors, and we recently had a breakthrough with our "tough" class. We silent read every day for around 10-15 minutes. When we called "time" the other day, the class shouted out in unison, "NOOOOO!" They didn't want to stop reading! How could we say no? We gave them another ten minutes...those moments are what language arts teachers live for!

A big, burly football player that scoffed at the idea of silent reading initially has been wrapped up in the "Unwind" trilogy. He told me, "sometimes when you tell me silent reading is over, I just keep reading for a minute or two" :D