If you had to do it all over again....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amethyst, Apr 18, 2009.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Apr 18, 2009

would you still become a teacher?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2009

In a heartbeat!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2009

Yes.

There is a thread still relatively current in the secondary forum asking the same question. You may want to read that. :)

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 18, 2009

Yes, Yes and yes again. I love my job, my students and the people I work with most of the time.

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2009

I hope so! I am about 50 grand in debt from this dream of mine so I hope it works out ..:haha:

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 18, 2009

I would be a teacher of adults. I am a PK teacher, but I love working with adult learners.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2009

This week is probably not the best time to ask me this. I had a very crummy week at school. Right now, I'd say no (I am sick of parents, ill-behaved children and principals who stick up for them- see my phone call thread for a few more details if you wish). Right now, I wish I'd have become an actuary or statistician and make way more money and not have to deal with parents who think their children do no wrong.

I do wish sometimes I went into secondary education instead of elementary.

9. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Apr 18, 2009

Without a doubt!
    I absolutely LOVE it!

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2009

absolutely. i love my job!

11. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

I'm actually not sure... I love what I do, but the road to get here, which is still ongoing, has been a LOT more difficult than I had imagined...

I would definitely have done more research and reflection before choosing this career path, and I might have just tried to find other ways to help kids learn while doing something else 9-5. I'm just not sure.

It frustrates me that you have to go through so much red tape when all you want is to help kids. And then if you ever want to move, you have to go through more of it in a different state. :(

12. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

I, too, like what I do but......

I think I would also like to become a Physician's Assistant or maybe a nurse....

13. seduflow

seduflow Companion

Apr 19, 2009

nope..I would've went into IT (computers)

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2009

without a doubt and I would become a teacher sooner in life than I did. I was 39 when I started teaching. I think of all the years I could have been helping young minds grow.

15. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Apr 19, 2009

Yes! (I must add that I am on April vacation right now!)

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2009

Absolutely! :)

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 19, 2009

In a heartbeat...

What may have changed is the path that I took once I became a teacher. I think if I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't have jumped so quickly at the position that I'm currently in, and instead would have waited for something different, or at least in one school. I'm tired of the travelling between schools and feeling like at times I'm not giving either school their fair share of time, but also feeling like I'm giving both schools more than their fair share. It's an odd balance. (Of course, I know now that there were a number of other jobs that I could have had if I had waited... this year's not quite so promising.)

Having said that, I'm enjoying what I'm doing for the most part, and I can't say I hate it or anything. I just think I would love to do something different, like a classroom teacher or something.

18. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Apr 19, 2009

Yes! Teaching is my second career. I was a financial advisor in my previous life and came home crying daily. I still come home crying some days, but now it is not for myself but my students!

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2009

In a heartbeat I would do it all over!! I've wanted to be a teacher since I was 4. :)

20. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 20, 2009

I would definitely do it again.

21. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 20, 2009

Yes, I would!

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 20, 2009

I am not sure. My first reaction is yes, but then I think of other things that have peaked my interest the older I become-being a chef, or a baker, teaching at the college level, and being a personal assistant.
    The longer I teach, the more tired I become of disrespectful students and parents, and all the politics of the administration. I guess that is why it is called burn out. However, I do love the creativity of teaching, and the connections I make with some students.

23. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 20, 2009

Although thinking about it more, I think I would try to be an artist first in my younger years then go into the education. Just to see if I could be successful.

24. bortiz39

bortiz39 Guest

Apr 20, 2009

I love working with Kids of all ages, it makes work more exciting, nor is is it boring or dull. so yes i would still continue in the steps towards helping these young children.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2009

I want to say yes, but I can't be 100% certain. I've toyed around with the idea of being a nurse sometimes. This could have something to do with the difficult 2 years I had while teaching.

26. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 20, 2009

That is a tough question. I am not sure what else I would do, since I had no great passions and at the time my Mom said, "Be a teacher, you have summers off". So I became a teacher and I do love it most of the time, but if I had it to do again, I wouldn't stay as long as I have. It is not as physical as some jobs, but it is draining mentally and emotionally and as I have become older, it becomes more difficult. It does take a toll.

27. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 20, 2009

or maybe middle school? it seems to be a better idea down here than in Michigan...

28. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2009

I cannot imagine a better teaching career (unless I coached some) but I tihink I would have gone back to school after 20 years and gone into nursing for another retirement and better salary.

29. Whitchel

Whitchel Rookie

Apr 20, 2009

Yes , but I would have gotten my degree in Early Childhood Education instead of Elementary Education. I love my job and my kids. I can't imagine doing anything else.

30. Arky

Arky Comrade

Apr 20, 2009

Before the No Child Left Behind I would of said yes. Now with the tremendous responsibility on my shoulders in a school that has low performing students I am not sure. I still love the school environment but I wish I had gone into something other than a classroom teacher.

31. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Apr 20, 2009

I second that about NCLB. Teaching is not really fun anymore, for me or the kids. Still, all in all, I really love my job (most of the time) and I can not imagine doing anything else, except maybe nothing but who can afford to do that?

32. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 20, 2009

I love being a teacher, but now that I am dating someone with a professional degree, I realize for the same amount of money paid in grad school, she is making 4x what I make... sorta makes you wonder...

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 20, 2009

No, I would have gotten into speech-language pathology from the beginning, which is what I'm back in school for my 2nd Masters for. But, I don't regret anything I did previously.

34. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Apr 21, 2009

Probably not, to be honest. I think the career itself is wonderful, but I just don't think I do it justice. I am, therefore, really frustrated and tired of feeling insufficient despite my best (up 'til all hours, at school every weekend) efforts for the last four years. From September to June, and even a little in the summer, I have a constant cloud over my head, feeling like I should be doing something for school, and knowing that I never will have done enough.

35. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Apr 21, 2009

There `s no other option for me, I was born to BE A TEACHER!!

I love my job, my kids, the school.... everything!

I can`t imagine myself working at a different place...

36. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Apr 22, 2009

Ms.H, I know exactly how you feel. Just about when I think I am getting nowhere, one of my students or previous students will say "you're the best teacher ever". Besides I also am a born teacher, with school always on my mind.
    You know that by this time of the year, we are running on empty and need a break to recharge. We will come back in the fall ready for a new year and forget about the questions of why we do what we do

37. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Apr 22, 2009

Probably not. What they don't tell you during your college years is that, generally, the only districts that hire are the bottom-feeders. Getting into a decent district where you get at least a percentage of the students who actually want to learn, are actually curious about things they've never heard about before, or give you some intrinsic reward or sense of accomplishment, is next to impossible.

38. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

YES!
    I love my job!
    :D

39. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Apr 23, 2009

Oh yeah! The only things I would change would be that I go to a different college and put more applications in at more counties.

40. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 23, 2009

No, probably not. I would have pursued a journalism/video production career and probably ended up freelancing once we have kids. I don't know if it would have been more stable, but at least there aren't scheduled pink slip days.

41. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 24, 2009

I hear that. One of my best friends from high school works in computers and with just a Bachelor's already makes what I'd make at the very end of my career in teaching based on the pay scale. Another friend (same age) already makes 6 figures and recently enjoyed an all-expenses paid (plus spending money!) trip to Australia with the company he works for. That's not to say I'd like either of those professions but they have some perks - I couldn't even afford to live on what they were paying me to teach kids how to read, and to me, that's a pretty important job. :unsure:

I don't think I'd get a degree in teaching but I do really love working with kids. My undergrad degree is in Communications but I might have done a PR concentration instead of Radio/TV/Film and tried to get a job working for a children's organization or something along those lines.