If you had a college student in your classroom...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TheGr8Catsby, Feb 3, 2014.

1. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Feb 3, 2014

I have four classrooms to complete about 80 hours in during the next two months. I was assigned to these rooms by the university, and the teachers volunteered to take on students.

Anyway, if you had a college student in your classroom, would you rather have him or her:

-Once a week, for five weeks
    -Once a day, for a week.

If I go for one week, it makes another schedule make more sense.

During this time, I will be observing; assisting; leading a small group; and designing/implementing two lesson plans.

For this class, I will be in this room for two hour intervals.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2014

One week. For sure.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2014

I have college students in to observe several times a year (mostly former students from my district)...I personally have no preference. I work around the college student's schedule..

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2014

I don't care either way. I just want a set schedule so I'm not guessing. I had one that would just show up whenever she got a chance, and I had trouble having things ready for her to do. She was early in the program, so she wasn't yet to the point where she just knew how to step in and do things on her own, so it was a hassle for me.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2014

I think you'd see more of a progression through a unit or progress that the students could make if you came once a week.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 3, 2014

As a teacher, if I had to choose between somebody coming into my classroom every day for a week, or once a week for five weeks, I'd absolutely choose every day for a week... though I'd second the idea that either would be fine as long as it was consistent, and as long as you give reasonable forewarning about not being there... if I expect somebody, I'm going to put them to work, and that will make me adjust my plans if they don't show.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 3, 2014

If you have to teach lessons, over five weeks. I would be a little annoyed if someone came in on Monday and wanted to teach two lessons by Friday and do small groups.

9. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 3, 2014

Either way. It honestly wouldn't matter to me. I think it be fun to have someone for a full week, but they might get a better experience if they observe/help out once a week over the course of five, that way they get the opportunity to see more. Also, to experience a variety of lessons.

I'd love to have a student pop in for the five weeks; we love guests in our classroom and you would be welcomed :)

10. teach1

teach1 Companion

Feb 3, 2014

When I was a student I actually did both ways and I felt I learned / experienced more when it was over a longer period of time, versus consecutive days.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 3, 2014

Once a day for a week would be better for ME, but I think once a week for several weeks would be much better for you. I wouldn't care either way, really. I think you will get a lot more out of seeing the progression for a longer period of time, especially if you need to teach lessons.

12. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 3, 2014

I think I would want to spread it out over 5 weeks

13. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Feb 3, 2014

I'd prefer every day for a week.

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2014

One day a week would work much better for me because my students would get very charged up having a visitor. I would need some space between visits.

15. greendream

greendream Cohort

Feb 4, 2014

Once a week for 5 weeks.