If you go to church, what was the main point from today's sermon?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jan 10, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 10, 2010

We went to a new church (to us) today since we are resuming our search for a church where we feel like we fit in.

Anyways, today's message was all about a life in balance and he recommended writing these out for yourself to see what you might need to change so you feel more balanced:

Schedule
    Body and Health
    Realtionships
    Finances
    Spiritual Life

I just got done writing out my answers and plan to print it off to refer to when I need to! It's like journaling :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk8horRi3_E&feature=related

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2010

Today's gospel was about the Baptism of Jesus.

The homily centered around the line "You are my beloved son." The gist of it was that most Catholics are baptized as children, yet we too are the "beloved sons (and daughters)" of God, even though we've done nothing yet to "earn" that love when we're baptized-- that our faith is a wonderful gift from a loving God.

4. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 10, 2010

Baptism for us also.

5. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jan 10, 2010

We started church hunting today too, and the sermon was the first of a series on going to the next level during the new year with your family, finances, and faith. He mostly previewed the next few weeks and talked about how no matter how good your relationship (with God, or your family, or whatever) is, there's always room for improvement. He also reflected a lot on the growth the church has had in the last year and thanking God for that.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2010

Alice, what was your Old Testament reading? Was it Isaiah 43:1-7?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2010

I'm embarassed to admit I don't remember, TG. Julia had a sneezing fit and I was frantically searching for a tissue.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2010

I didn't make it today but hubby did. He said it was about finding peace in your heart. I wish I would have been able to hear it.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 10, 2010

We drove in to check on my 86 y.o. dad and 80 y.o. mom, it was my weekend. I hate missing services.

10. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 10, 2010

We had the Baptism of Jesus

11. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 10, 2010

We had Isaiah 40:1-5,9-11

12. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jan 10, 2010

We are starting a new series on prayer this month, so our sermon was the first in that series. The theme was on "not giving up on prayer" - our pastor always has "one thing" he wants us to remember if we remember nothing else - that's kinda the main point of the sermon, and today's was: "When I've been praying and everything in me is ready to give up, keep praying, because the surest way to hear "no" is to say it myself."

I'm really looking forward to this series!! :)

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2010

That's what ours was--the sermon focused on how God honored His children in Israel, honored Jesus at his baptism, and through Jesus honors us as children baptized into His family--like Alice said, not because of anything we have done. The main point was that even if we don't like what we see when we look at ourselves, God does--because He sees what Christ has done.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2010

I think the Isaiah reading is absolutely astonishing - what God is willing to spend...

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 12, 2010

Ours was part two of a Series about Family. This week was about dating and God's design for marriage. (An excellent message.) It was about five biblical principals by which you can choose a wonderful life partner.

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 12, 2010

Well I did not go to church(big church that is) I go to sunday school and then I help in 3yr old preschool class. Then pm service I missed cuz of working my retail job. Our sunday school lesson tho was on how jesus fed the 5000 with only a loaf of bread and some fish and what that tells us on what Jesus wants to do in our lives today if we would just let him.