If you get lunch...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Sep 13, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2013

I know many on this site don't get an actual lunch break. But for those who do...

How "stingy" are you with your precious twenty or twenty-five minutes? Meaning, if a student asked you to reteach him a concept during your lunch, would you? If a colleague popped in and asked you to help fix her computer, would you? If a parent called and wanted to discuss her child's progress, would you take the call? You get the idea.

I need my few minutes. Alone. I shut my door and relax. When I am disrupted it legitimately stresses me out. Instead of a penny-pincher, I'm a minute-pincher...don't want to waste a minute on something related to work.

I know others are much more relaxed about it, but am I the only one who so desperately needs a peaceful, work-free lunch? Surely not...right? :whistle:

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 13, 2013

This year I have planning during lunch, so I have TONS of time and will help anyone with anything, but if I only get the normal 30 min lunch, I did not allow students in the room. I'd help a coworker or take a phone call, but not work with students- they had to stay after school (I teach hs).

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2013

Our kids are required to be in the cafeteria during their lunch. No books, no schoolwork.

So while I would be happy to hang out for a minute or two--literally-- during my lunch, any more than that would make them late.

As to the rest, if it were time sensitive, I would do it and eat later, during my prep period. Otherwise, I'm eating during my lunch.

If there were an emergency of some sort, well, skipping one lunch wouldn't kill me.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2013

Kids have 10-15 minute breaks between each class. We have 40 minute lunch break. I allow questions/turning things in/etc in the last 10 minutes of lunch and during any of the other breaks.

We're supposed to eat lunch with the kids, but I always go to a table full of teachers. I need my 30 minutes of adult time!

6. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Sep 13, 2013

At our school, lunch is sacred time. My principal prides himself in giving us a full 35 minutes of duty free lunch. This is a lot compared to other campuses. My grade level always eats together, along with whoever else has lunch at our time, in the teachers lounge. It is a time for us to relax and not work. We often laugh and cut up. He sometimes will provide lunch for us or take a group out. We work hard the rest of the day. We will pull kids during recess, during our specials time (rarely), or tutor before or after school. We help each other during conference time and after school. We would not be allowed to pull kids during lunch. That is important time for them too, to relax.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 13, 2013

I definitely wouldn't see kids during lunch. In the past I've seen that other teachers often keep kids in from recess to do unfinished work/uncompleted homework, etc. I've never done that, honestly because I don't want to spend my lunch dealing with kids! If a coworker had a real emergency I would help.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2013

Lunch time is precious.

9. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 13, 2013

Nope. Never. I need that time away from them.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2013

This comes up all the time for me. My school requires students to get one hour of tutoring every week, so many students opt to have their lunch with a teacher and do homework or get help. Teachers who go for this spend their lunches in their rooms packed with students. I have students who just like to spend lunch in a classroom instead of in the lunch area, they literally sit in the hall outside my door and eat because I am very stingy with my lunch break. I get out of my classroom as quickly as possible and eat with adults. It is vitally important for me to spend this time away from students.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 13, 2013

How does this work "my school requires students get one hour of tutoring a week".

Is it contractual? Wouldn't this "one hour" have to be during contracted time? Isn't there a law that requires you have a lunch time?

Or is it like my school. At this time we have no duties during "lunch time" so we get a full 50 minutes for lunch everyday. Our contract says we only get like 25 minutes(something like that), yet our principal gives us no duty and gives us the extra time. Since the P gives us this time, I am willing to do tutoring, "extra work" if asked because I love the 50 minute lunch and would hate to see it "revoked" because some teachers have forgot that time isn't really ours.

I may give up my time to tutor kids, but I don't think I would ever give up my time if I was "bullied" into it by admin.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2013

Gosh, I'm jealous of some members' lunch times! (Of course, I have it better than many, too.) We get twenty minutes for lunch.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 13, 2013

No guaranteed duty-free lunch here. So when I do get a free lunch, I take advantage of it. Most of the time I am willing to whatever, whenever. But colleagues and students often expect this, which grates on my nerves. I especially get upset with the athletes that have been trained by their coaches to whine about getting extra help or making up work during lunch time so they don't have to miss a minute of practice after school.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 13, 2013

Wow. I have 20 minutes to:
    1. line up the kiddos
    2. walk them to the cafeteria
    3. get them through the cafeteria line and sitting
    4. use the bathroom (first chance since 7:45)
    5. pick up the kiddos
    6. walk them back to the classroom

I don't even TRY to eat during lunch. The kiddos stay in the cafeteria, so there's no "lunch with the teacher" issue. If a colleague needs help and I'm not in the bathroom, I'm happy to help. I'm diabetic, so I HAVE to eat SOMETHING for lunch, but my planning period is not long after our official "lunch break," so I eat then. The only time that's a problem is when I have a parent conference. I even take soup or crackers to grade-level meetings (always held during "planning").

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 13, 2013

If I had a choice, I would want to be without kids, me, on my own or hang out with adults.
    However, I don't have that luxury, we have to supervise students. Not so bad though. Today I stayed in my classroom, because a few students came in, and soon I had 10-15 of them eating, some gave me a piece of their burrito, another one took my cup of soup to the lounge and have someone heat it for me, and brought it back. We chatted, listened to music, actually had a lot of fun.
    First this seemed stressful to me, because I didn't get my alone time, but now I'm actually enjoying it and even prefer it.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 13, 2013

I have 20 minutes, which includes getting to & from the cafeteria and a bathroom break. I can't get anything done in that time.

17. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 13, 2013

Our school lunch bell is for 45 minutes.

Of that, we're guaranteed a 30-minute duty-free lunch.

I would usually use 15 minutes to make last-minute copies, or even do some lesson planning...but I always try to at least EAT during lunch... else I'm quite weak for the afternoon.

I do not think it's unreasonable for a teacher to want to eat during lunch.

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2013

I do work during my lunch every day. I also answer phone calls and go to meetings. I don't get planning time most days, so it's the only time I can plan. Sometimes I even skip lunch to do extra practices with classes before performances.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2013

Meetings? Oh heck no.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 13, 2013

I am guaranteed a full 1 hour duty free lunch. I cannot be asked to attend meetings during this time. I do not deal with my children either - there are plenty of qualified adults on hand during lunch to handle any issues with the students. I technically don't have to be in the building during lunch and most teachers aren't. I wish I could go home for lunch like the rest, but I eat in the lounge. I do go back to my room 15 minutes early to get stuff set up for the afternoon (kiddos are all outside enjoying their recess). I would take a phone call, but usually someone just takes a message during lunch.

21. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 13, 2013

Holy cow, there are some backwards states in this country that don't give teachers a guaranteed lunch time. If I ever talk of moving out of state, someone remind me to read the fine print(or lack there of) in other states. I thought students lost motivation after lunch where I work, if I were a teacher I would lose motivation with no lunch time.

22. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 13, 2013

I get 30 minutes duty-free, which I know is a lot more than some people so I shouldn't complain...but literally every single other person in the building gets 50 minutes. Contractually, we're only obligated to get 30, but the schedules worked out to 50 for everyone but me, because I just have too many kids. I know saying something isn't going to do anything but make me look bad, so I am trying to just let it go, lol. At least I get the same planning time as everyone else...last time I taught sped, I had literally about half of the planning time as classroom teachers.

23. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 13, 2013

No. I send them to the tutorial center if they need help during my lunch period. There will be another teacher there who is obligated to help them at that time just like I am obligated to help other teacher's kids during my tutorial time.

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2013

Nope. Children have to be in the cafeteria - they can't go in, get lunch, and go out again - and they can't go in late. They also can't come during planning, as everyone has planning before the kids arrive, and even when they do arrive, most of them need to go to breakfast. And after school isn't an option, unless arrangements are made to have them picked up (almost every kid at my school is a bus rider).

So... there's really no time at all for extra help.

25. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 14, 2013

This is my reaction, too! How the heck do you function without a lunch break? How is that even legal? :eek:hmy:

26. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 14, 2013

I get 30 minutes duty-free. Usually I eat/socialize at a table of teachers, but if I am particularly busy I will eat at my desk and work on whatever needs it. That may happen once or twice a month. I definitely don't tutor or work with kids during this time.

27. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 14, 2013

If a couple students needed help, I might ask them to bring in their lunches and I would help them. I never only tutor one student as I won't be alone in the classroom with one student.

I will make sure I eat, and only will stop if it seems urgent or important. I usually don't return parent calls at lunch, but sometimes I do if it seems like something that shouldn't wait until after school.

I have lunch duty 3 times a week--some weeks more. Therefore, most of the time, I only have 20 minutes or less to eat. That does leave a minimum amount of time for eating. While I will be interrupted during lunch, I will not ever go without eating lunch. I've tried that, and it is a dis-service to me and my students for that afternoon.

28. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 14, 2013

I started putting a sign on my door telling kids (and staff) to come back later. I think I deserve my lunch as much as the teacher next door. I don't mind chatting with a colleague or discussing work stuff during lunch while we eat together, but I'm no longer willing to give up my lunch just because a student is crying or refusing to work and the classroom teacher doesn't want to deal with it. Sometimes I try to get paperwork and emails taken care of while I eat, but that's my personal preference. No one is forcing me to do that.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 14, 2013

At the new job I'm at this yr, I don't really give myself a lunch break. I pull out kids & work with them 1-on-1. If I can't pull them due to them having lunch, etc., that's my little break(s). I've never been the type to bring a meal & actually sit & eat anyway. I'll eat when I get home. I just want to do what I'm supposed to & get the heck outta there! I get paid totally differently this year, so it's different from the usual teacher. (If anyone wonders why I say this, I have a thread about my situation.)

30. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Sep 14, 2013

I have about 25 minutes. I have cafeteria duty once a week which involves walking to the cafeteria to eat lunch there instead of in my room. I used to have outside duty once a week at lunch. I do have meetings in my room during lunch for prom committee and stu-co. And kids eat in my room but I really don't mind because the aren't asking for help. I talk to them or play on the internet.

31. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 14, 2013

I eat lunch with my students. I also have no planning. That's self-contained for ya. :blush:

32. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2013

I don't eat during my lunch (10:30 - 10:55); I eat during my plan (12:40). I might try to make a few quick copies and go to the bathroom, but nothing else during my lunch period.

I always try to address parent concerns ASAP, whenever they arise because of my feelings about dealing with parents. I will help a co-worker out whenever they need it (lunch, plan, before/after school) because I feel that my team is the best thing about my job this year. With students, it depends on what they need and why they need it right then.

33. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2013

Are these ELEM kids are older kids? I know my HS would not want their teachers sitting at their lunch tables as they gossip and talk about other things they don't want us to hear/know they do.

34. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2013

The only reason I stay in my train-wreck of a district (the BoEd itself is comically disorganized) is because I know that thanks to my strong Union, I have it better than most in regards to professional issues and teacher duties. Now, the kids I teach are rough and I am sure I could go somewhere else and not have to deal with headaches of the inner-city, but sometimes I doubt it is even worth it.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2013

I have an hour duty free lunch. I'm elementary...kids aren't looking for extra help at lunchtime and I try to carve time during my instructional time to meet with strugglers. I do sometimes confer with colleagues, run copies, check email, maybe a parent phone call, but mostly it's my down time to do with what I wish. We're in a tough negotiation right now so I'm very hesitant to do too much during lunch unless it's something that I want to do.

36. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 14, 2013

I'm struggling this year. I agreed to do inclusion, knowing in my head what working with other teachers might be like. It's worse that I could imagine.

so what does that have to do with lunch??? To survive the year I've given up lunch and planning. I come to work at 7 leave at 3:15. I leave school behind. I give 110 percent while there. I don't partcipate in the in fighting. If a teacher tells me she can't read a direction to a student that his IEP says is required by law I do it for her or him. this requires I do so on my planning or lunch. This affects me, not the student as I teach multiple grade levels.

I'm done with inclusion...but, this year will still be one of teaching and learning for the kid. I can eat on the run, and I can even be happy:)

37. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2013

I have 45 minutes to myself. Very rarely will I keep children up for lunch because I don't want to deal with them. But sometimes I will, I will usually take a parent call because I'd prefer not to do them after school but that rarely happens. I do use "eat lunch with the teacher" as a reward often because the kids love it and it's free for me, but even that isn't all that often that they earn it.

38. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 14, 2013

Those of you with 45-60 minute lunches - how long is your school day? Ours is 7 solid hours. I have a 20 minute duty free lunch, the kids have one 15-minute recess (each teacher has duty for their kiddos), and we have 45 minutes enrichment (special) / planning (which we lose half the time to mandatory meetings).

39. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 14, 2013

Our students are at school for 7 hours and 15 minutes. Our contract day is 8 hours. The rest of the staff gets 50 minute lunch because the kids get 25 minutes for both lunch and recess. Paras do lunch/recess duty and teachers do before/after school duty. I only get 30 because that's the only way there is room for me to see all of my kids. Many districts around us have gone to 8 student hours a day and I think we'll be there next year. The superintendent keeps talking about how our kids need more hours in school.

40. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 14, 2013

Duty day starts - 7:30
    Kids start - 8:00
    Recess - 20 minutes (but some of us have to do a 10 min yard duty twice a week)
    Lunch - 45 minutes (30 min. guaranteed duty-free)
    Dismissal - 2:35

Kids at school: a bit more than 6.5 hours

Upper grade teachers get three 45-min prep periods a week.
    Primary students are out of school at 2:05, so primary gets an extra 30 min. each day.

41. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

The school day for our students is 6.5 hours (8:30 - 3:00). They have a 30 minute recess and one hour lunch. We are guaranteed a 40-minute uninterrupted lunch, but if we don't have supervision duty, we have the full 60 minutes. We have 60 minutes of supervision duty at either recess or lunch every week.