if you do daily mini (5 pt) quizzes

Discussion in 'High School' started by traeh, Jan 13, 2008.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Jan 13, 2008

This post is addressed to those teachers that assign mini-quizzes each day. How do you handle absences. Since it's such a hassle to have each absentee make up these small 5 pt quizzes, is it okay to just exclude them?

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2008

I give 10 point quizzes twice a week. I drop one quiz per 9 weeks so the 1st one they are absent for is the quiz that they will drop. After that I give a makeup quiz at the end of the 9 weeks that is cummulative over the 9 weeks. If they have missed 3 quizzes over the 9 weeks, they will drop one of the 3 and take the end of the 9 weeks cummulative quiz. If they get a 7 on the cummulative quiz, then they get a 7 on the other 2 quizzes that they missed. The 1st year that I taught all I was doing was making up quizzes.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2008

If a student is absent or tardy or otherwise not present when a daily quiz is given, he or she has to do a make-up activity. Frankly, I don't have time to make arrangements for all those kids to come in and to make-ups before or after school when we have about a 30% absenteeism rate on any given day. And, frankly, most of those students will never come in for make-ups anyway.

Instead, students have to copy all the vocab from the lesson. Each word and its meaning, 10 times each. It's much more work than being present on the day of the quiz. Also, the act of repetitive writing really does help them retain vocabulary words, so I think it's a very constructive effort.

Students have 3 days to turn in that activity to me before it changes to a zero. That's our district policy. Actually, technically, what I do is enter an "ab" in my gradebook software when the student is absent for a quiz. The software automatically calculates that score as a zero. I have to manually change it. This works well because I don't have to worry about going back in and putting zeros for all the kids who didn't do the make-up.

Students who are found to have been truant are not permitted to do the make-up activity. If they're going to ditch (which is still illegal, the last time I checked), they will not be given the opportunity to raise their grade. They have to be in class for that.

If there is some strange situation, I may simply excuse the quiz for the student. An example of this is if the student is called out of the room by the deans' office. If the student was prepared to take the quiz but obligated to go to the deans' office or somewhere, I won't penalize them with make-up work. The same goes for a student who had a long-term illness and missed several weeks or months of school. That student has plenty of other make-up work to turn in, most of which requires knowledge of vocabulary, so it's a wasted effort (in my opinion) to bog the student down with even more work.

5. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jan 13, 2008

have the next quiz count twice

6. obro

obro Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

I don't do it daily but each time some reading is do I give a very quick 5 point quiz. If someone is absent I just exempt them.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2008

If their absence was excused, I would just excuse the quiz. If they had an unexcused absence, its a zero.

8. obro

obro Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

Good point silverspoon. I wouldn't want students dodging the quiz. I give them right as the bell rings and if you late you are going to have to catch up.

9. traeh

traeh Companion

Jan 13, 2008

Cassie, sumnerfan, and silverspoon -- great ideas!! I'll have to choose one.