If you do a Thanksgiving Feast....would you share?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mom2kkj, Nov 13, 2010.

1. mom2kkj

mom2kkj Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

I will be doing a Thanksgiving Feast with my K's. The previous teacher did one each year and I was subbing with her last year so I know what she did.
    The kids helped bake corn muffins, pumpkin muffins, homemade cranberry sauce and they had popcorn with maple syrup. I think that is it for food.
    They played a couple of games (duck duck goose and musical chairs).
    I will keep some things but wonder what else you do?
    Oh...and the kids pick to dress as a Pilgrim or Native American :)
    Thanks so much!

3. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Nov 13, 2010

When I taught special education, this is what I did: bake a ham, turkey breast,green beans, corn, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes and biscuits. 2-3 desserts. The kiddos really looked forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 13, 2010

My grade partner cooks the turkey and I bring the corn muffins. One of the aids makes stuffing and another brings carrots. We make placemats and of course we dress up. We have one long table and we get to eat. Afterwards we watch Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 13, 2010

Oh how I WISH I could do this... with the PLETHORA of allergies in my room this year (you name it, someone is allergic to it) we can do NO food. :(

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 13, 2010

Hapley, you could still make the place mats, have the sprouts decide who is going to be a Native American or Pilgrim. They could make their head gear and eat their own snacks on the placemats. I know it isn't the same as sharing and making a feast, but it could work. Invite another class in and watch Charlie Brown.

7. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

We don't do a feast, but I buy cornbread and have the kids make their own butter.
    FYI to make you own butter just put heavy whipping cream in a small container, add a dash of salt, seal it and then shake it for about 5 minutes. Just make sure that it is sealed...I dont' think I need to tell you what happens when it is not sealed.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2010

We made place mats... they are fun... We just did small ones & put a turkey handprint on them... they are CUTE!!!

What about crock pot applesauce...I know there's a lot of threads about that. Or just eating some apples or berries or something. Remember the feast was finger foodish & "raw" a lot of it... I'm thinking fruits & veggies of course.

9. mom2kkj

mom2kkj Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

Thanks all :)
    We also made placemats.....a cornucopia that the kids colored, glued onto paper, did "fruit and veggie stamping" and I will laminate them.
    I love that so many share here...thanks :)

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 13, 2010

Have them grind Indian Corn. I have a real Indian corn grinder bowl and grinder. But, you could buy a kitchen one and achieve the same result. Of, just find a couple big rocks. This kids love this. You can also buy pop corn on the cob and pop it in the microwave.

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2010

The kids made paper bag vests and some decorations and the parents supplied all the food in my son's kinder class.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 13, 2010

We made tortilla tipis one year. They painted them with food coloring on the outside, folded with a little cream cheese and added the pretzels at the top-it came out very cute.

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Nov 14, 2010

We are having a pot-luck on the day before break. Each child/family is supposed to bring in a dish that is something traditional in their family...i.e. mom's famous stuffing, grandma's green bean casserole, etc. We will share the feast together and then we have a special "I am thankful for...." Show and share time. We will also be watching Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving.