If you didn't have to work would you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hanvan, Jun 5, 2013.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2013

If you didn't have to have a job would you work? In education?

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

I'm currently single, but if I was married to someone who brought in ample income and we had children, I wouldn't work. If we didn't have kids, I would still work. I'd get too bored otherwise.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 5, 2013

I don't handle down time well. Yes, I'd work or at least volunteer. I volunteered in a classroom before I went back to finish my teaching certificate, so it would make sense that I'd do that if I volunteered again. However, I really love being a teacher, no matter the paycheck.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2013

No.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2013

For the most part, all of the jobs I am doing / have done are ones that I do because I enjoy them. Yes, they pay money too, which is a necessity, but first and foremost, I love what I do. If there was that option not to work - I'd probably be able to prioritize more time for family (just wife/I for now, but eventually kids) and actually taking some true time off, but I'm sure I'd still do some of the things I am doing now, because of that enjoyment.

7. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

I've been on maternity leave for about 9 weeks, and I can safely say that there's no way I couldn't work. I love & cherish my time with my baby & not having to worry about grading, dealing with parents, creating lesson plans, etc. However, I definitely couldn't do it long term. Kudos to those that do, but I get a little stir crazy.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2013

Yes, I'd work.

If I won the lottery though, I'd hire someone to take care of the grunt work duties that we all have, as well as a housekeeper.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2013

This is the wrong time of year to ask me--with 3 weeks left of school. Right at this minute, I'd say "no", but in reality, I would.

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

I've always said no, but in reality I would. I'd put my check in savings or invest and put some in DS's college fund, which is really pathetic ATM.

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 5, 2013

I would.

12. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

I would, and then use the "extra" money for fabulous summer vacations :)

13. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

Not a chance!

:2up:

14. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

Yep! I stayed at home with my children for almost four years and loved it most days. My husband was happy having me home with our babies (they're now 4 and 2.5) but I was READY to go back to work, so I accepted a position at the end of February. It's good to be back. :)

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 5, 2013

If I were married to a man with a good job and we had children, I would want to stay home.

If I were independently wealthy and single, I'd do whatever I wanted.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 5, 2013

I spent the last 2 years not working and did so on purpose. I know my answer. BUT...

I did advocacy projects, volunteering, etc. I don't go to a place of business and say I want to volunteer on x days, etc. The projects find me or I find them. I do specific tasks I am either asked to do or I seek out because I'm passionate about it. Recently I volunteered for an advisory committee at a hospital. Now I am being asked to volunteer for another advisory committee for a state advocacy agency. I also tutor when I'm asked, etc. I have even taught youth classes for free. All of this stuff, I choose what and when. I like the freedom in that. I don't do it full time and there might even been a month here and there where I don't extend myself outside the home and family at all. I definitely enjoyed being available for field trips, having the luxury of scheduling appointments for family without worrying about the time crunch, having time to watch my kids with their extra activities, and more. Oh yeah, getting a pedicure in the middle of the day didn't hurt either.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

This is me, too.

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2013

NOPE!
    I love, LOve, LOVE teaching but would find ways to be just as happy without the politics, responsibilities, and lack of respect.

19. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 5, 2013

Yes, I'd work part time. I go crazy sitting around the house. I already tried to be a SAHM once. I failed miserably.

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 5, 2013

I would work-but not in education.

21. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 5, 2013

That would be a very tough call for me. I can't imagine not working. I don't think I'd be able to explain to my kids why I don't have to work, but they still have to get a career going someday. Plus, I'm not productive at home and I don't have any real hobbies. I don't garden, knit, or paint. I love to travel, but I couldn't do that much of it anyway because my kids still have to go to school.

I'd probably continue to work but hire people to do all the cooking and cleaning. I'd also do some amazing traveling over the summers.

22. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2013

I love my job but absolutely not. I'd way prefer to just go and do whatever I feel is best at a given moment as opposed to being tied down to a schedule.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2013

I wouldn't mind taking a year or two off, but then I would want to work again. I would at least like to stay home when we have kids, but I don't think we can afford it. So I would definitely stay home for a while with kids if I didn't have to work.

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2013

Nope. I'd spend my mornings volunteering to read in an elementary classroom so that I'd still get to interact with children, but I would in no way, shape, or form miss the paperwork or politics.

25. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 5, 2013

Right now I am single and don't have any kids of my own, so I can't imagine what I would do all day if I wasn't working!

26. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Jun 5, 2013

Not a chance. Actually, I'll have my 30 years in when I'm 53. When I realized this, I called my brother, who's a financial adviser and said, "I need to retire when I'm 53. Make me a plan so I can do it." I'm not working a day longer than I have to.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2013

I love my job...I'm not going anywhere...

28. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 5, 2013

I was just talking about this earlier today with some of the summer school teachers. I was saying that if I were rich I would teach part time. For summer school right now I'm working 9-12:30. I think it's the perfect schedule. I'd get too bored if I didn't work at all. I had a friend who inherited millions in high school and she has always had a part time job just because she wants one.

29. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 5, 2013

I would love to say I wouldn't work. The reality is that I would go stir crazy! I don't know if I could handle working year round, since I don't take days off. DH would probably have to make me take a vacation. I also know that having too long of a break makes me go crazy!

30. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

Technically, I don't have to work. Our house is paid for [yes we are young, we actually inherited it], and my husband makes enough money to cover our living expenses. My car is almost paid off too. My paycheck goes to daycare and my personal credit cards, which at the end of the day is not a necessity like food, water or shelter--so I don't consider my need for employment a "must do." However, in order to keep my credit in decent standing, I should work. I am 7 months pregnant now with our 3rd child and am seriously considering staying home and using my student refund check (I'm in a Master's program) to pay off all of my monthly expenditures and stay home. I don't know what I will do yet, but as a new teacher I really don't want to take time off beyond 3 months with the baby.

So my answer is: I don't know. Guess we'll find out come October/November when it's time for me to report back to work.

31. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jun 5, 2013

This is me exactly! I love my boys, but I miss working! I have been off since Easter and was lucky enough that my leave ran me until summer vacation, but this is going to be a very long summer!

32. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jun 5, 2013

I would but only set my own hours. :)

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2013

I love my job, but I would very happily stay at home, watch Netflix, read books, and nap every day if I could.

34. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

I would work. I'm the type that if I stay home too long I start to get cabin fever very quickly.

Now would I want to be a teacher for 30 years?(Since I'm just starting next year) I don't know. I would definitely want to teach for a few years after all the time I spent in college to have the opportunity. The schedule for teachers is fairly open(no holidays, summers off) so I probably wouldn't be able to find a job that allowed me to have more free time either. Maybe accept a part time rather than a full time job? Probably.

35. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

Me too! I don't go back until August & while I'm extremely grateful, I'm running out of ways to entertain myself between my baby boy's many feedings. :blush:

36. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2013

Well here's why I asked :) I taught first grade, got married, had a couple kids and stayed home for 6 years. Youngest is going to kinder next year, oldest going in 1st. I just got a job teaching first and I am scared to go back. I want to-but I'm sad ill miss my kids first day of school etc. I don't "need" the money but loved teaching. I guess I'm just nervous. :)

37. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

I go a little crazy with too much time off. Work keeps me sane.

38. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 5, 2013

If I won the lotto, I'm certain I'd keep working.

Even though I'm worn out by the time June rolls around, my "batteries" are fully charged by August and I'm ready for a new group of kiddos.

39. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Jun 5, 2013

Definitely not full time. Possibly part time... 15-20 hours per week. If I couldn't get a part time job in a school, I would volunteer at a school. If I had kids. If I didn't have children, I would travel and find ways to volunteer long term (1-2 years) overseas. I would LOVE to travel to different schools in different countries and spend time volunteering in schools around the world just to see the differences in educational systems.

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

NO.

41. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Jun 5, 2013

I would quit working full-time, for sure! I loved being a volunteer teacher and I think I would try to work out a good schedule as a volunteer because I do love teaching and working with kids and planning what to do next to reach the kids, etc.---but I do not love being overworked, being overwhelmed with meetings, trying to read 180 essays at a time, etc.!