If you could teach the perfect class...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Apr 4, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2013

What grade would it be? How many students? Why do you like this grade and what are you in now? :)

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2013

Gifted/talented kids, somewhere in the 2-5 grade range, no more than 20 in the class.
    I really connect with G/T students. We think alike :) The G/T teacher at my school often has to come to me to understand something or to get an explanation for her kids. I can also get the G/T students to show a lot of individual growth.

4. kme93

kme93 Companion

Apr 4, 2013

Sophomores - class of 18-20 - hard working kids in the C/D range
    or
    Sophomores - class of 18-20 - very bright kids

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 4, 2013

I have to agree with this---sophomores are good because some of the jrs/srs are too old and some have checked out, but the freshmen are a bit immature (though I like them also).

Unfortunately your first description with the hard working C/D range is not readily present in my school. Those hard working C/D kids would be lumped in with the ones who could care less unfortunately.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 4, 2013

2nd grade class with 18-20 students.

I wouldn't mind having a class with 18-20 low students who are really hardworking. I love seeing the light bulb go on for my low kiddos.

I taught G/T one year and although it was rewarding, I still enjoy teaching the Tier III (at-risk) students more!

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 4, 2013

First grade. 14 kids. 7 boys and 7 girls. Below, on and above grade level kids. No emotional disturbed children. No developmental delays unless they have a 1 on 1aide (pull out isn't enough!).

I love first grade because they're still very young, sweet and not too cool to want to openly please the teacher. They don't fall prey to peer pressure as much and with the exception of those who are emotionally disturbed, they are nice to one another.

8. kme93

kme93 Companion

Apr 4, 2013

That's true at my school too. However, I'm creating my dream class here...:haha:

Sophomores are my favorite! It always seems like the kids I remember most and have the fondest memories of are the kids that work hard, but barely pass. I think it's because they come see me for extra help all the time, so I get to know them better.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 4, 2013

First grade with 16-20 students. (Preferably an even number:)) Mixed ability - I enjoy the challenges at both ends of the spectrum.

I have first with 19 right now and I just love this grade level. They grow SO much and are so sweet and eager to learn. They are just so NICE to everyone, they think the teeniest things I do to spice up a lesson are SO exciting, and they are honest to a fault. Most of them work hard, love me, love school, and are just generally happy little people all the time. I have found a home for now in the grade I vowed I'd never teach. :wub:

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Apr 4, 2013

Fifth grade, mixed abilities, love to read, 15 students who know what the word quiet means :p

11. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 4, 2013

11th grade AP US History with students who truly are AP qualified. My collaborating teacher taught AP US with a class of about 12 students who were truly gifted and motivated. The class was a lot of fun to watch and participate in.

12. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Apr 5, 2013

I just accepted a mid-year position one month ago and the class is pretty perfect!

First grade self-contained ESOL. 8 students, 7 Spanish, 1 West African. Mixed abilities. I have a Spanish-speaking para for half the day. Love them! They are all very sweet and eager to learn. All but one speak english fairly well.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 5, 2013

Seniors - English Composition - 20 students who have writing skills but want to improve.

I have 2 sections of this class, but not all of the students want to improve their writing.

14. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Apr 5, 2013

I luckily have my dream class right now. 15 Honors Chemistry Students (10th grade) that couldn't be more enjoyable to be around or more motivated to learn; all 15 of them are truly honors material and do their best to excel every day. They are my last period class so I leave every day in an excellent mood from them alone.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 5, 2013

Fourth or Fifth grade, no more than 18 students, must love to read and approach math fearlessly, respect each other, and focus on every lesson!

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2013

I have had perfect classes, lots of them. My problem is facilities.
    I want a gymnasium. Real soccer goals. Dance revolution stations.
    Gymnastic mats. Wrestling mats. Oh yeah, a full time aide.
    A big video screen to teach with. A pool.

17. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Apr 5, 2013

Sophomores (English) 15-20 kids
    or
    Freshmen (English) 15-20 kids

I like the older kids (although I've never taught juniors or seniors).

Currently I have 7th grade world geography, 7 and 8th language arts and freshmen and sophomore English.

I actually have 22 kids in my one English I class and it is fun and one of my sophomore English classes only has 13 kids and it's a blast. My other sophomore English class has 30 kids (scheduling issues) and it's not as much fun.

18. Scribe

Scribe Rookie

Apr 5, 2013

Aw, that made me smile! I've heard some teachers tell me the opposite, how their entire day is great but they dread the last period and it sours the day, both up to and after the class. Good on 'em that they're motivated last period too. You must be a good teacher! :)

19. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Apr 6, 2013

High school autistic support. =)

20. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Apr 6, 2013

Every year I have taught, I ended up with my dream class of students (with the exception of two years). However, my dream class would be without the pressure of state testing. I would have time to teach and do projects, do activities, get to really know my students.

21. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 6, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspNaoxzNbs

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 6, 2013

19 third graders. I think this is my 'perfect class' because my first year I had this and it was magic. There was something about that group that just 'clicked' and we had a fabulous year together. Everyone talks about how hard the first year is, but it was awesome. I teach 1st right now. While I enjoy it, I would go back to 3rd in a heart beat.

23. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Apr 6, 2013

A class of 4 ED students, all boys, 2 in 1st grade, 2 in second grade.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 7, 2013

2nd grade, 12 or 14 students

I feel like that would be the perfect number to be able to individualize enough to meet each students' needs, yet have some diversity within the classroom. And it has to be an even number! I currently teach 2nd grade with 20 students.

25. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Apr 9, 2013

20 Honors Sophomore English

or

15 AP Language

or

20 Advanced Theatre students

No standardized tests
    Classroom with no desks