If you could teach anywhere?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by madderhatterme, May 23, 2011.

1. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

May 23, 2011

Hi everyone! So, I have a question - where would you teach if you had NO strings holding you down, and they were hiring? Where would you go? What state, what region, what specific district?

I will be student teaching (7th grade LA) this fall, and will be graduating this December. I'm looking forward to having the spring to apply and interview (as I work, of course), but my situation has changed. I live in NH, but I really feel the need for a change. I've been here since birth, and would love to experience a new state. My plan was to look into the DC area, with MD and VA, because my brother and his wife live in that area and will likely be having kids in the near future. However - they just told me that they might move to Richmond or someplace else in the next several years. So it seems my anchor in VA is moving, and while I still love the area, I am exploring my options.
    I love Cape Cod, and the Boston MA area. I REALLY love the Arlington/Alexandria area of VA. I couldn't ever imagine living in a state like Florida, because I melt in extreme humidity. If I could truly move anywhere, I would likely choose Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, or Denver because those cities are so appealing to me and I love the crisp weather. Austin TX also greatly appeals to me. But... do I want to live across the country from my parents and my brother's family?

A little about me: a very artistic person, a wry sense of humor, I love theater and music (hope to teach drama at my future school). I can't imagine living in an area that is too humid, too frigid, or too closed-minded. I like a hearty debate, but I'd rather not be the ONLY blue spot in a red state, know what I mean? I know that a lot of that has to do with area as opposed to a whole state.

Where would you live? Where WOULDN'T you live? Where do you think I'd like to live, and to teach? Are there certain areas/states/regions that are horrifying/excellent in their school systems? I'd love to hear some feedback.

3. abequette

abequette Rookie

May 23, 2011

Well I would probably pick FL, but you said you couldn't take the humidity there. Although I will say that I think FL is actually less humid then where I live now in TN. Plus there is always that nice ocean breeze that makes just about anything tolerable. As for TX, I grew up North of Houston and it was VERY humid there in the summer. So if humidity is a problem you might want to stay away from TX. Portland and Seattle look beautiful, but too many cloudy days for my taste. If it was me, and staying close to my family was even remotely important I would probably look into the Alexandria area for now. And then if they move in the future you could look into the possibility of relocating then. Or if you were happy there, at least you would be within a reasonable driving distance from them. Just my two cents.....hope it was some help. :)

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2011

I read this and instantly thought CALIFORNIA!!!! With this description, you'd do very well in the bay area (I know you mentioned SF) or possibly Los Angeles. Although I realize that is across the entire country from your family, which would clearly factor in. Not like I'm biased or anything...I just live in CA. ;) Honestly, though, although there aren't very many jobs available in CA, the area that seems to be hiring the most is the SF bay area. Just realize the cost of living there is VERY. HIGH. I have only visited the bay area, but I do know there is a LOT of diversity there - some very Caucasian areas, some areas with mostly minorities, some very high-income areas, some decidedly low-income areas...etc. It really depends on where you are!

Personally, if I could teach ANYWHERE, I'd probably stay right where I am, or at least in this region (Southern CA). My husband's family is here, all our friends are here, and it is never boring! There is also a TON of diversity here and lots of English Learners (which I love). There are also many, many large pockets of low-income schools, and I really want to work with the populations in those schools. Unfortunately, there are NO elementary jobs here! AT ALL! Like you, I have my next student teaching placement in the fall and I graduate in December...but I HIGHLY doubt things will improve that drastically in a year!

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 24, 2011

I'd love to move to Ireland. Someday... maybe when I'm older.

Right now I'm exactly where I want to be.

6. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 24, 2011

When I read your post I thought of Santa Fe, New Mexico..very artsy and liberal. Me, I am moving to my dream area and its the hospitality state of Mississippi...hot,humid,and friendly...and I may be a blue dot among the red but I'm okay with that.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 24, 2011

Miss W~maybe I'll see you across the pond one day. ;) I'd love to move over there and teach as well.

If I had to stay in the U.S I'd love to move to the east coast: NC, VA, MA, MD.

Good luck!

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

May 24, 2011

Well, I love where I am, but if I had to move I would love to teach in a rural school in England or Ireland. A village school...(any other Miss Read fans here?)

9. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 24, 2011

Oh, I would LOVE to teach in England! Rural, smack dab in the middle of London, I don't think it would matter! It would be such a great adventure!!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 24, 2011

I'm very happy living where I live, in a suburb of Philadelphia. I wish I could teach at the local middle school but they're very likely reducing their FCS program so that's not going to happen. But as far as moving, I have no interest at this time. Maybe when my kids go off to college we'll move back to the Bay Area. Lived there for three years and loved it. Um, then again, maybe we'll need to wait until they're done with college because I don't think we can afford two kids in college and the insane cost of living there.

11. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 24, 2011

GA ( west side of Atlanta) 3rd grade. :) Maybe my prayers will be answered and I can live my dream for the upcoming school year! :)

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

May 24, 2011

You have to read the Fairacre series by Miss Read. Little novels about a schoolteacher in England. So quaint, they are an escape from everyday life!

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 24, 2011

This is what I have been contemplating too. But, the world is a big, big place. Maybe Australia...

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 24, 2011

I love Houston, and I can't imagine living anywhere else, but I miss my home state of West Virginia. It would be nice to live there again. I would also love to live and teach in Massachusetts or upstate New York.

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 24, 2011

Anywhere in the world, Italy. Anywhere in the states? Somewhere in Cali (I've never been there, so picking a spot is hard!)