If You Could Live Anywhere, Where Would It Be?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 5, 2010

Don't think about the cost of living or anything else. Where would you live & why? :)

I wouldn't mind living right where I am now & have been for the last 22 yrs. I'm in a certain city in southern CA about an hr from the beach (& L.A.) & 30 min from the mtns. The weather's great yr-round, although the summers can be sweltering. No hurricanes or tornados to worry about. It's safe w/ pretty surroundings. Anywhere else I want to go, I can just visit.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2010

Ms. I., my stats are just about the same as yours, just on the northern side. I'm pretty darn happy here. Now, if the budget cuts would just stop...

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 5, 2010

I think I may need to move to SoCal! (Forgetting the lack of jobs right now)

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

Colorado...... God's Country

For me there’s no place like Colorado….. Beautiful mountains and wonderful canyonlands……..

Why?

• Four wheelin’ on tough jeep trails
    • Hiking
    • Climbing mountains
    • Kayaking, canoeing, rafting
    • Great weather, Colorado blues skies, low humidity
    • Lots of space when you need complete solitude
    • Camping places to die for
    • Fly fishing in mountain streams
    • And in general……… freedom... at least where I live

Just to name a few reasons...... I could easily come up with more

Major........:):)

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 5, 2010

Agree, agree, agree!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2010

I don't know if I would ever actually leave here, but the middle of nowhere in Montana or Colorado sounds perfect. That or a several hundred year old villa anywhere.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2010

I would be thrilled with a larger (and, while I'm at it, cleaner) house right here on Long Island.

I'm 40 minutes from NYC, 20 minutes from the beach, 2 hours from skiing. Low temps in the winter can dip near 0, and summer time highs sometimes reach near 100. Just about the time you get really sick of a season, it changes to something else. We get the dog days of August and the occasional White Christmas.

I can get to everything from the Metropolitan Opera to the Statue of Liberty to Montauk Point.

There's nothing like that first warn day in February or March, when you bundle the kids up and head to the boardwalk. Seeing the ocean after a winter hiatus makes everything in the world a bit more all right. And a snow day brings out the child in me like few other things.

I'm a Long Islander for life.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2010

Major~what about TX? :lol:

I love TX except the heat right now! I think if I could live anywhere, it would be Rome. Here in the US, I would love to live in Virginia or Colorado.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 5, 2010

I do love, love, love where we are.

But if I could choose, I would give up everything and live in a beach shack on a beach in the Caribbean. Completely simplify, eat fish and fruit and beach food all day, every day. Surf and lay out and read and explore and write and just spend every minute with dh.

Of course we'd get bored after about a month, so it's probably good I don't have that choice. ;) Sounds like I do need a beach vacation, though....

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

stg, I'm Texan....... For now I live in Colorado ... the northern most Province of the Republic of Texas........:lol::lol:

12. smalltowngal

Jun 5, 2010

:lol: Major! The dh is talking about moving up there as well.

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 5, 2010

San Diego. I have never felt healthier than when I was there. I truly felt like a different person.

14. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jun 6, 2010

This California girl never thought she'd leave the beaches either. But 2 years ago, my DS and I packed what we could fit in our van and moved to Utah. We love it here for the following reasons:

-not too crowded
    -20 minutes from many ski resorts
    -great family environment
    -less school crowding
    -beautiful mountains and national parks (everyone should go to Zion's and Bryce:D)
    -4 seasons althowinter can get a little long
    -fall leaves
    -low cost of living
    -little rush hour traffic
    -green, green, green right now

so if you're looking for a place to move, cmon out:haha:

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 6, 2010

Hmmm, I'd pick Brooklyn. I've never been to Austin, but I hear great things about it...anyone live there???

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2010

Yessss! So many people that I know are moving to get jobs and its just not in me-I would miss LI too much!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 6, 2010

Truely, If I could pack up my hometown and take it with me I'd like to live in Wisconsin during the summer and someplace warm during the winter. With all that is going on, the Midwest sounds better and better even if we don't have tropical beaches or beautiful mountains. Colorado would be awesome though.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 6, 2010

Cateacher2b, UT sounds nice. I've vacationed as a child, but that's it.

I wouldn't mind SD either.

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2010

I really love where I live right now (Central New York) and if it weren't for this horrible job market I would never dream of living anywhere else. You can get to any kind of store you would want quickly, but yet if you have to wait an extra turn at the traffic light it's considered a traffic jam.

The cost of living is fairly low and we get all four seasons. The only thing I really don't like is the over 100 inches of snow we get every season, but you get used to it. There is very little crime and you just feel safe.

20. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 6, 2010

I'm definitely a city persons. Maybe NYC? I really like it here in the SF bay area, but it's a little impersonal. I do need to take advantage of the cultural arts, more, though, and then maybe I'd have more of a NYC feel.

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 6, 2010

I love Texas so much, but if there were jobs and I could afford it, I would love to live near my family in West Virginia. It's such a beautiful state.

I also kind of have that NYC fantasy, too. It would be very exciting. :)

Pisces, Austin is one of the coolest cities in Texas. I would happily live there, too (if the job market were better).

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2010

I'm in the central valley of CA and I HATE living here. We may be about an hours drive away from the beach, mountains, etc, but the town itself is so boring and ugly. There is too much pollution.

This is exactly what I want. I doubt I would get bored, either. I've been watching House Hunters International and have been daydreaming about living on an island in an awesome house right by the beach. :) Off to daydream....

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 6, 2010

Peachy-you need to come down and hang out during the summer! I just set all the patio furniture up, I got a little pool to soak in and some ice tea jars, etc. Come stay in the guest room and get out of that boring town!!

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2010

Jem, I would LOVE to do that. I'll just have to convince hubby that you're not a crazy online person. ;)

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2010

Being retired I am flexible (not my body)

I have many places I'd like to live

Phoenix AZ
    Laughlin NV/Bullhead City
    Texas hill country
    The foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains
    The northwest (Oregon, Washington)
    Being disabled it kind of cuts out some places

Is there anyplace that doesn't have Earthquakes, Fires, Hurricanes, Humidity, Snowstorms, Volcanoes, Flooding, Tornados, Heat over 100°, Alligators, Dust storms or Gangs? :lol: That's where I want to Live :thumb: :rolleyes:
    can you add to the list?

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2010

NYC? ... Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there
    :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny:

I am a former NYer

27. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2010

I love where I live Western AZ. I just moved here and it has its down sides but overall I really do love the weather and people here. I moved from OH where you could wait 5 min. if you didnt like the weather so it was so nice to move to a place where its SUNNY all the time!

My dream though is to live in Italy :)

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 6, 2010

Speaking of fantasies, if money, finding a job, etc. were no object, I'd love to live in most US states & numerous countries for about a good month each to really see what they're about! I'd be a nomad & just have fun seeing the sights & all. I'd eventually come back to my permanent home though.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2010

Not me.

I'm all about family and roots.

Home is where my heart is, and my heart is my family. I'm not going anywhere.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 6, 2010

That's how I ultimately feel as well. There's no place like home!

31. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 6, 2010

In my current situation I'm quite happy here in PA. However, if I didn't have children and it was just dh and I (and we weren't both teachers) I'd love to move back to the SF Bay area. We lived there for three years pre-children and just loved it. The weather was good, we were close enough to the wine country to do day trips, we'd go to Tahoe for skiing, we'd go to Vegas just for weekend fun once in a while, and the restaurants in SF were awesome. But as a place to raise a family, nope not for us. But when our kids are grown, if they leave PA and we no longer have strong family ties here I could seriously see us moving back there.

I really haven't traveled much in the US so there are probably other places that are fabulous and I just haven't been exposed to them.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2010

Being only an hours' drive from the beach and mountains is a situation many would covet. Make fun for yourself. Choose to not be bored. Bloom where you are planted.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2010

Ditto, Alice!!

I've moved many many times courtesy of the military...

New Jersey (NYC metro area)
    San Francisco
    San Diego
    Washington DC
    Newport RI
    Charleston SC
    Jacksonville FL
    Virginia Beach VA
    ...back to NJ.

I've loved all those places because I was with my loving family. There's no place like home...and home is where my heart is...where my family is.

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 6, 2010

I really do like where I am a lot, although it's certainly not for most people. It's a rural, low-income area. We don't offer much in terms of activities and industry, but it's a beautiful area. We're at the edge of the mountains, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, but in an hour we can be in a major city. In two hours we can be in four major cities.

I do love beaches, but I'm not sure I'd like to live on one.

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2010

I can't imagine living in a city with such pollution...it would leave me very sad. :(

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 6, 2010

I really love my town. It is not TOO small but it's nothing like a large city. I really do like living here but if I could plop the whole town somewhere that gets less snow in the winter I'd be much happier!

37. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2010

Exactly! It's so sad and depressing to drive to work and to see ugly gray smoggy skies. I love winter mainly because the rain clears up the sky. In the winter time, the sky is so blue and wonderful looking. But, after a day, it's back to being gray. So, yes, even though many would love to live in an area where they could get to the beach or mountains within an hour or so, it's not worth it to me to live in such a place.

I would also LOVE to move back down to San Luis Obispo county. :)

38. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 6, 2010

I'm not sure...When I got my job 2 years ago I moved an hour away from my hometown and it makes me sad that I don't live there anymore. I didn't really like the city when I lived there, but now that I'm away I miss the familiarity, and my family.

However, I wouldn't mind living in Greece for a few years. I LOVE it there!

39. smalltowngal

Jun 6, 2010

DP~dh and I mentioned moving to Greece too...but then we remembered the financial crises their in right now, so we decided to hold off on that!

40. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 6, 2010

I like to live anywhere. I just want a house that is paid for, a car that is paid for, no credit bills, a big garden, no neighbors, and a great shopping mall close by.

41. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 7, 2010

Why would there be need for a great shopping mall if there are not neighbor's close by? Hmmm...