if you could do it over again...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rennie15, Oct 15, 2011.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 17, 2011

I would go back to the fight I had with the head of the education department at my college and erase it, completing my certification process much earlier than I did (I was 33 instead of 22). Then I wouldn't have had to pay for the rest of my education out of pocket separately from my undergrad work. OTOH, I was pretty immature in my 20s and was probably better off not inflicting myself on students until I had gained a little more reality into my life.

2. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2011

yes.

3. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Oct 17, 2011

I am getting into this late in life..I retired after 30 years in engineering and management.It (teaching) is a tough job (but any job that is satisfying is also difficult). My perspective...I probably wasn't ready to be a good teacher when I was younger. Plus, I did pursue the $$$ as a younger person so it sort of freed me up in a sense to do other things at this point in my career. For those of you who may be disillusioned, that is true of any demanding profession (health, education, management, engineering, clergy, etc.) The grass is never as green as it appears.At the end of the day it is a very worthwhile profession that we are in.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 17, 2011

yep :) without a second thought

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2011

It all depends on what a worthwhile profession means to you. Everyone has different ideas about it. Some people want a sense of making a difference, some want to know they are really good at what they do, some want a means for making money. Then it comes down to what type of everday activities we are willing or would want to do to get those things. If your purpose in a job is just to make money, then you would not be concerned with the making a difference aspect, that wouldn't give you any extra level of satisfaction.