If you could choose, would you pick uniforms?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 10, 2010.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

I now have a picture of you in my head with that cane!:eek:

2. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2010

I am glad the students don't have uniforms in our district. I have never even thought of the idea of teachers having them. That would be a major turn off. The dress code is enough to drive me nuts. I understand the professional dress being required. But at our school, women are allowed to wear shorts and men are not. This has bothered me for years and it continues to. We work in Arizona, it is hot and we are required to be outside on duty. Either everyone suffers or nobody does.

As for jeans, we get to wear them on Friday. I wish we could wear them everyday, that would be outstanding, I would be so much more productive all of the time. The comfort level makes getting things done so much easier.

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 15, 2010

I think a school uniform for students would be wonderful. Less peer pressure, less teasing and name calling, less competition. Many of the fights that occur are because of commenting on clothing.
    I am torn on the uniform for a teacher. A part of me says yes-because it would make it easier to find something to wear every morning, but a part of me is not sure of the same pair of khakis every day.

4. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 15, 2010

I am personally against uniforms for teachers. If I am wearing a similar polo and khaki pants as the 7th graders, I am going to look like a 7th grader. I also know how much that suit does for the behavior in my class. I am a professional, I dress like a professional. For some teachers this would be dressing up, for me it would be dressing down.

I was actually worried that we would be going this direction this year, but I shared my concerns and it seems like we will be given one school polo and can buy more if we would like.

5. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

I HAVE a uniform that I must wear to work. And I must say I hate it-especially since it doesn't change with the weather (wear a pencil skirt when it's 30 degrees and snowing outside is NOT my cup of tea).

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

how the heck to get down with the kids in a pencil skirt? yikes!

7. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

That's the thing-I can't! lol
    I hate it-the uniform is more for an office secretary than one who works with young children 8 hours a day. Although I do get to wear slacks (of course they are color/type regulated) 2x a week, so there is that.