If you could choose, would you pick uniforms?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

I think I would, assuming I could pick them.

I think I'd like khakis and polos with our names monogrammed on them. I might get sick of it, but I hate clothes shopping and I'd never have to wonder what to wear!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

No! Our students don't even wear uniforms! I love seeing the differences in personality in my students and coworkers. For example, one day the English department all work khaki bottoms and a black top for a picture. But the differences in how each person interpreted that were really fun! Scarves, skirts, dresses, slacks, capris, heels, sandals, etc.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2010

Yes. I dislike shopping as well, and while sometimes I'll think something looks nice or is cute, I ultimately don't care too much. How something feels is more important to me than how it looks. So again, yes, I would choose uniforms...provided I don't have to wear the belt as that completely scraps the whole comfort bit. :)

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

And I'd HATE to tuck in the shirts!!

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

Oh, this is exactly why I don't want uniforms! I am so uncomfortable in slacks with a polo tucked in. And a belt? Eww! No only is it uncomfortable, it looks terrible on me! I look like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Not a good look! And to me, that doesn't look very professional, it looks like I'm working fast food or at Best Buy!

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

No. I like wearing what I want to wear that day and what looks good on me. I like seeing what other people (staff and kids) wear too.

8. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

No. Teachers & staff should look professional, not like the students. It's sometimes difficult enough to get the students to realize there are boundaries, they think we're all on the same level as it is (mostly MS & HS). Students, yes, it helps with peer pressure for one. Personalities can still show somewhat through accessories, shoes, etc. Teachers, let's look like the professionals we are!
    Oh, have you ever noticed the difference in student behavior on dress down days? Or when the teacher dresses more casual than she/he usually does? They DO notice!

9. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

Yes, I would. It's cheaper and would save a lot of time and hassle.

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

I enjoy the time and hassle. LOL

11. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

lol

12. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jul 10, 2010

Teacher uniforms. No

I don't want to look like I work at a restaurant or ritzy country club.

Besides I love dressing to fit the lesson or the mood of the day.

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

In the UK most schools have uniforms. Some schools are very strict and are lucky enough to have parents who a) can afford to buy expensive articles of clothing with school logos on and b) believe that the uniform makes a difference. However in many schools it just becomes another thing to battle with the kids where every day starts with teachers moaning at the kids about the lack of uniform or their take on what it should look like, Couple that with the additional uniform items such as jewellery bans and the day becomes more about getting the kids to conform and less about educating them.

I have been to American and French schools where there is no uniform. The French seem to have a wear what you like policy (as long as it isn't a muslim headscarf):eek:! and the Americans have a decency policy. Both systems seem to work well and the kids seem far more relaxed about their school experience.

If we stopped uniform at my school (a girl's High school) I reckon we would have about 3 or 4 months of the girls looking like hookers until they ran out of money or time to keep the effect up and then they would revert to comfortable and practical clothing. However that is an experiment that most British schools will not try. Having a uniform will not make your school into Hogwarts!

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

No.

We voted as a faculty two years ago, and only a handful of teachers liked the idea.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

AMEN!

I do NOT like to have people TELL me what to wear specifically like this. It would probably drive me out of that school lol As a whole teachers know how to dress. It's the small % that we need to get on track with the rest of us.

16. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

YES!!! For teachers AND students!

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

I hate choosing clothes too, so I might like it. But it depends on what the uniform looked like!

18. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

I'd definitely prefer a uniform. I never have to decide what to wear and it will be much cheaper. Plus I don't have to spend time at the malls buying teaching clothes. :)

19. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 10, 2010

When our school changed to uniforms, I thought I would hate it. Students individuality quickly came into question. I have three children and had to listen to their complaints, and really that was all any of the students complained about. However, I realized that for many students, they were using their clothes to express themselves. School is not a fashion show. So why not let your talents and abilities express who you are and what your capable of doing? So many children are not able to afford the clothing that the in crowd wears. This takes away from the learning experience because instead of focusing on the lesson, the child is wondering who's going to pick on him/her for wearing an outfit that's not "in". After the students got use to the uniforms, we actually saw improvement in classroom behavior. Wearing the uniforms unifies the students in one way, dress code, but even that one way helps with instructional time. Even though they are all in polo shirts (four different colors) and khaki pants (shorts, capris, or skirts), they are still not looked at as the "same". Every child is different and regardless of what they are wearing, their differences will shine through. I think uniforms for students are a good idea!

20. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

I would like to wear uniforms.

21. kickchick2000

kickchick2000 Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

NO!!!
    As an adult I enjoy being able to dress professionally. If I wanted to wear a polo and a certain color pants I'd go work at Best Buy or Burger King. I do however believe in a faculty dress code that prohibits items such as sweatpants and shorts.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

I dress as a professional. I have no need for a uniform. We have a very specific dress code that's adhered to by the faculty.

But I love that our kids wear one.

23. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

No way! Uniforms were one reason why I hated retail! They're unflattering, uncomfortable, and just un-me!

Let me wear my colorful outfits that I love so much! I work hard for it!

24. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

I wouldn't mind the kids wearing uniforms. As a teacher I would not want to. We have a lot of freedom in dress code and I know there are a ton of people on our staff that would be upset if they couldn't wear jeans when they wanted.

25. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

No! I like shopping for clothes. I like finding cute clothes and matching earrings etc... It is one way I treat myself. :D I also find polo shirts super uncomfortable and I don't tuck in shirts b-c it is very unflattering! One teacher I worked with hated the hassle of picking out clothes so she wore polo shirts (with the school's name) every day with khaki or black pants.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2010

No uniforms for me!

I love clothes, and I enjoy shopping too much for that. I hate wearing certain things because they look terrible on me. I have owned ONE pair of khaki pants that looked decent on me, and I still didn't really like them. I also look terrible in polo shirts. I have an extremely short neck, so the collars are always up in my hair. Sleeves always come past my elbows.

Basically, I look dumpy in khaki pants and polo shirts.

We don't have such a thing as "dress down day", so I never notice anything different about kid behavior based on what we wear. We wear all kinds of things on any given day, so the kids don't change behavior. I think that "dress down" days may actually cause the issue, but it's not exactly the clothes. For instance, if jeans are considered "unprofessional" on any day except Friday, then it sounds like it's OK to be unprofessional on Friday. Therefore, behavior can go south as well.

27. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 10, 2010

For instance, if jeans are considered "unprofessional" on any day except Friday, then it sounds like it's OK to be unprofessional on Friday. Therefore, behavior can go south as well.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Our principal expects us to look professional, but he doesn't harp about our attire very often. For example, I may wear jeans on Tuesday because that's what I feel like putting on at 5am, but then I may dress up every other day of the week. He just doesn't like it when a faculty member seems to wear jeans every day. If he notices that we're slacking about dressing up, he'll mention it at the next faculty meeting. However, I wouldn't mind wearing school t-shirts and/or polos and khakis. I think I would like it if the kids had uniforms. I see so many unfortunate children who feel totally left out of the "in" style.

28. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

No, I wouldn't want to wear a uniform even if I could choose it. After all, I can choose to wear khakis and a polo everyday, but I don't. Some of our male teachers do, though.

29. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

If I was allowed to wear jeans everyday I would.

I like how my P explained it. She said that if we wear jeans on Friday we should look appropriately dressed for dress-down day as a bank teller. It really helped me understand what she deemed appropriate.

30. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

If you want to wear a uniform, then wear one. Who's going to object if you start wearing slacks and polos everyday.
    I like choosing my clothes.

31. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 10, 2010

Sometimes I think it would be a lot easier to have uniforms for M-Th and have FRI as a "jeans-kind-of-day". On the other hand, I might want to wear something decidedly more professional or casual depending on the day and afternoon's happenings. The one thing that I would like to do is to invest in a number of uniform-type shirts to have on-hand... casual and yet professional attire.

32. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

Jaime Escalante wore the same "outfit" everyday because he felt it was one less distraction for the students. Not for me though.

33. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

If I wanted to wear a uniform I would join the army!

34. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

I would never work at a school that made me wear a uniform. I'm not a student - I'm the teacher. I'm old enough to know how to dress professionally.

35. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

Yes, students and teachers would be fine with me.

36. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

Students, yes - I would be okay with that. Teachers, no - not necessary.

37. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

If you want a uniform why not go the whole hog and have the black gown and mortar board a la Tom Brown's Schooldays?

[​IMG]

38. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

Now that, I would wear! :)

39. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

I like that our students wear uniforms; however, I am glad that teachers do not have to wear them. Last year one of my co-workers chose to wear uniforms and she seemed to be comfortable. Though, every now and then she would dress out of uniform. I would not feel comfortable in a uniform every day. I like being able to choose what to wear and dressing professionally.

40. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

No...I like to shop and get dressed up for school. We don't have a dress code, so if there is a day I'm not feeling like wearing heels and a nice outfit I like the option that I can wear jeans and flip flops!

It would probably save me a lot of money if I did have to wear a uniform...my husband would like it! ;)

My kids are going to wear uniforms next year and I can't wait!!! I think it's great for the students, and as a parent...YIPPEE!!! With three girls, it's going to save me a lot of headaches! :lol:

41. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

The students at our school wear uniforms, but they have a choice of 4 shirt colors(yellow, light blue, dark blue, or white), so there is some individuality. There are thriving gangs in the area, and the uniforms keep the gang colors out of the school.
    I only wear the school shirt or jacket(we were provided with both) on field trips, and it isn't required. I don't want to wear uniforms!
    I'm an adult and can choose my own clothes. I also don't want to be forced to wear a skirt every day when I'm teaching on the floor most of the time. It just isn't practical. I dress professionally and modestly, and the rest of the staff does too.