If you believe in God...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Dec 16, 2009.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2009

If you believe in God...

What does God look like? He? She? It? Aura? Energy?

If you believe in God and Jesus Christ...
    Explain their relationship. Was Jesus in Heaven as a divine being and then sent to earth, are Jesus and God the same being...what's your take?

I'm interested for reasons beyond sheer curiosity. Thanks!

3. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Dec 16, 2009

This wont get heated :D

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2009

I've had a few related discussions on A to Z and none were heated. While I think political issues easily grow heated, people on this forum are very respectful of religious and spiritual differences.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2009

I believe in God, but, I don't see a physical description. I perceive God as more of a spiritual energy. I believe Jesus was a divine being who was sent to earth. I don't believe He and God are the same being.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2009

Thank you.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 16, 2009

Read the first chapter of the book of John and it tells us that Jesus existed eternally, but came to earth in a physical body. Connect that with Genesis 1 and Hebrews chapter 1.

The connection between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is very mysterious and difficult to understand or explain, but my understanding is that they are all God. They all have the attributes of divinity - all present, all knowing, all powerful, and eternal existence. I take it on faith that they are all indeed One God. They have different "jobs."

There are many statements in the Bible that refer to "God our Savior" which would put Jesus in the position of divinity. Also Isaiah 9:6 calls Jesus "Everlasting Father." Now that is a real mind twister!!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2009

bonneb~that is a great explanation. I do not think God has a physical description, but that He can be seen in all things. I believe that Jesus existed in heaven, was sent to Earth to save us from sin, and is part of God.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2009

Well put, bonneb. This is one of my favorite parts of my job--discussing the Trinity with kids! :dizzy:

Actually, my philosophy is not to overthink some things; I accept with a "childlike faith" that there are some things my human mind just cannot comprehend, and the relationship between the three divine persons is just one of them. I really like when we say the Athanasian Creed in church on Trinity Sunday; these words just always seem to stick with me:

"In the same way, the Father is almighty, the Son almighty, the Holy Spirit almighty; and yet there are not three Almighties, but one Almighty. So the Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God; and yet there are not three Gods, but one God. ...And in this Trinity none is before or after another; none is greater or less than another; but the whole three persons are coeternal with each other and coequal, so that in all things, as has been stated above, the Trinity in Unity and Unity in Trinity is to be worshiped."

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2009

I don't think God looks like anything, and I think God looks like everything.

I think Jesus was a very wise philosopher. In most ways I don't really believe he was more than that, but if his influence over time has any bearing on his immortality and divinity, then perhaps he was sent for a reason. Certainly his presence fulfilled some need or void at just the right time, or we wouldn't still know who he is today. I just wish more people would truly follow his philosophies and not just claim to.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 16, 2009

I just wish more people would truly follow his philosophies and not just claim to.

I agree!

However, if you read through the book of John you will see that Jesus claimed he was "I Am" - the eternal God. Many times he stated that he was One with the Father. So my question is, is it possible for one to be a wise philosopher, yet claim to be who he is not?

amakaye - yes, my favorite part of my job also, is teaching about the divinity of Christ!

12. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Dec 16, 2009

It's less important to think about what God looks like in the natural and more important to describe him by his character.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2009

So do you have no opinion or concept of what form God takes, if any?

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 16, 2009

I don't know of any physical description of God, but I do see God in all of the creation. My question is always, how can there be such a creation if there is not a Creator? I am continually in awe of the things He created. Blows my mind that he put leopard print on grasshopper wings, and I only found that out about a year ago!

I am also very amused by some of the creation - just cracks me up too that He put stripes on a horse! And polka dots on a dog. And orange feet on frogs. I could go on and on.

15. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 16, 2009

-chuckle-

I find it amusing that people have followed the teachings and story of one man for 2,000 years. Why would "God" send him to save us from our sins? How do we know that David Koresh wasn't sent to do the same thing...or Jim Jones? Why are all of these "cult leaders" deemed evil? How do we know "God" did not send them?
    Why do so many people follow the words (or attempt to) of 1 book that has been rewritten many times to fit different branches of Christianity? When will it be written again? Maybe someone is doing it now.
    To think that God made the universe...and it is never ending...and our human brains cannot really grasp what going on forever really means...all interesting to me.
    My problem with religion is why I have to believe in "your" God in order to get to a place called Heaven. Really? I think not.
    I was raised Catholic. I dated a guy that was Pentecostal. He constantly told me that I was going to burn in He11 for not being baptised in his church. Again...I think not. Sad, but there are many who think this way. If God is so loving, then wouldn't he accept everyone as long as they believed?

-smirk- So many things to think about...and then there is that whole crazy Evolution theory.

I'm from a predominantly "white" background...so my God was always an old white guy...with a long white flowing beard...and a white robe. After seeing the movie 'Bruce Almighty,' I now think of my God being more like Morgan Freeman...at least the voice...cause it's just great!

I read 'The Shack' this past year...and I loved it. 'Seeing' the Trinity explained as the different people in the story really was awesome. That's how I truly believe God and Jesus to exist...as nothing you would have expected, or could wrap your mind around....with or without the Morgan Freeman voice. -grin-

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 16, 2009

The Bible just says in John 1 "No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known." So one thing Jesus did is give us a living breathing picture of what God is like, but not what God looks like.

I don't know if a spiritual being can be translated into a physical description that our human brains could comprehend.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2009

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 16, 2009

scienceteach - I can see you have thought about this a lot, but I have to disagree with you - the Bible has not changed much at all over the centuries, as the Dead Sea Scrolls atest. I actually saw some of the scrolls, which were translated into English at the exhibit, and it happened to be a section of Isaiah that I have memorized. It was exactly the same as my present day Bible translation.

Not wanting to get off topic. As I said, I see that this is a topic of much thought. There is a great book called How We Got the Bible which was written by a scholar of the ancient languages. It is written in a way for the common reader to understand - like me - and is really mind expanding.

I'm sorry you had someone tell you that you were going to hell. That is indeed sad. And as silverspoons stated, the real point is living what we claim to believe. I think as teachers it is important to keep an open mind and investigate ideas we might not agree with.

I haven't finished The Shack yet, but have sure heard rave reviews.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2009

I always think of Alanis Morisette in "Dogma" lol.

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 16, 2009

No, not edited by others many times. The translations that are most respected were translated by large groups of scholars who have dedicated their lives to perfect translations.

My experience of coming to faith included the pivotal point of going to the Bible and reading it with a searching mind and heart, and suddenly everything fell into place for me. I have done tons of research and I just encourage all to base whatever you believe on a strong foundation of truth. There does come a point though, when faith has to step in. It is called faith because it is agreeing to believe what cannot be proven, but what is supported by a lot of evidence.

Just Me - did your question get answered?

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 16, 2009

Gotta go guys! Good topic Just Me!

22. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 16, 2009

To see the actual scrolls would be awesome! I should have said literal translations by many others. We can all have different interpretations of what certain passages and stories mean.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2009

st~I don't believe that because a person did not get baptized in a particular religion that that person will not get into heaven. I do believe that there is evolution, but that it is/was all part of God's doing.

and this is what faith is all about...believing in something that one cannot see.

24. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 16, 2009

I'm with Amakaye in the sense that I have a childlike faith. I believe there is a God, a Jesus and A Holy Spirit. But, I believe they are all apart of eachother. I can't grasp what the holy trinity looks like together or in their separate beings, but I don't need to know what they look like. Of course the first image for Jesus is the white man with dark hair that I saw in Children's Books. I don't believe Jesus actually looks like that. I, like the others, see God in everything. Just today there was a GORGEOUS sunset. That, in my mind, is "seeing" God.

I LOVED The Shack. I know it's not a holy book but I really felt that there was "truth" to the way it is written and the ideas in it. I think God lead me to read that in order to calm the unrest I had about religion a few months ago. My uneasiness is settled and I have an unshakeable faith now.

25. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2009

The last time I entertained the notion of a god, I think I went with the idea that it would have to have a spherical form, if at all. Of course, the whole omnipresence thing sort of throws a wrench into ascribing any specific form (if you believe in omnipresence).

That was maybe 25 years ago, though.

26. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 17, 2009

My relationship with God is very personal. I share my faith with everyone I meet, and I hope that my Christian values are reflected in my actions. I like to imagine God as a Father figure-someone I can snuggle up with and talk to about all my worries and fears, and to share all my joys with. I picture Jesus as a friend-someone my age, male, who I am best pals with. We do everything together. The Holy Spirit is my conscience. I listen very closely to it. I picture the Holy Spirit as just that-a spirit.
    I don't have the answer to your original question. I just know that I when I read the Bible, it amazes me how the words seem to have been written just for me at that moment in my life. I love that feeling.
    I also see God everywhere I see beauty. It could be a beautiful sunrise, or a smile on one of my student's faces, or a heart felt laugh from my friend-but I believe that is God.

27. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 17, 2009

scienceteach - yes, seeing some of the scrolls was one of the high points of my life! I really want to go to Israel. I understand the majority of the scrolls are there in a special museum.

Good topic and good discusion. Thanks everyone!

28. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2009

I like your description.

29. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 17, 2009

I believe the reason people choose to follow a particular faith in ernest is because it has touched them internally, at the heart of their faith. If you look too deep into details, you can derail anything.

That said, I tend to visualize God as the old man with the white beard, and Jesus as a handsome fellow holding out his hand while floating on a cloud. In my heart, I understand that they cannot be contained in human forms. But in terms of everyday prayer and understanding, it's just very simple and comforting to imagine them as humans.