If you are sucessful at community supplies...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hojalata, Jul 22, 2009.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

what is your secret? My students will not have desks this year and I want to do community supplies. I will keep tubs up front to keep their folders in, etc. Also, each student will have a drawer "cubby" to keep their belongings (lunch $, etc.). I guess I have the hardest time with their shared supplies. Last year I had a group of 4 students (2 and 2 facing each other) share a supply caddy. In the supply caddy we kept glue sticks, markers, colored pencils, crayons, and pencils. It just bothers me b/c they are always a mess. The writing supplies don't stay separated-- they're all just mushed in there together. What can I do to make this better?

3. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Jul 22, 2009

I do community supplies, but keep them seperate. I have a basket for glue, one for scissors, one for markers, etc. They only keep their crayons and a pencil in a cup that is in a four person holder.. does that even make sense? this year, I am going to keep their writing supplies in a color coded tote that they will only get during writing time with colored pencils, etc.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 23, 2009

I've heard of people using plastic cups with the kids' names on them in the basket to hold their crayons or pencils.

5. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Someone beat me to it! I was going to say I put pencil cups in the caddies. I found some plastic ones on clearance at Wal-Mart for $.70 and then they have tons of metal ones at Dollar Tree for $1 (of course).

6. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Keep a "model" where they can see it (either a photo or an actual caddy). Then, when it is clean up time they will know what "organized" look like.

7. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

How do you quickly pass out the markers when kids are going to use them?

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

I keep everything put away -- otherwise, things get "lost" or broken.

Kids keep pencils and erasers in their desk; there is a stack of writing paper on my desk that is handed out; other supplies are handed out as needed. I have hand-out helpers do that for me.

For your group, the pencil cup idea sounds good.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 23, 2009

You could assign one person from each group as "table cleaner" or something like that, who makes sure everything for that group is organized at the end of each day. And rotate the jobs. Once they have had to clean up after others, they are usually more careful.

But first graders - - - I am still trying to figure out how to keep them organized. I think simplifying what is actually inside their desks is a great idea.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 23, 2009

Haha, I bought a caddy too! I used cans from canned food. I have one of those can openers that won't leave sharp edges. So then I cut out construction paper for the right size. I let students decorate one. I used those to cover the cans and put really strong wide clear masking tape over it to keep it on all year. I kept each thing in these cans and each table had its own color construction paper. They lined up the cans on the shelf in their colored area. When they need markers, I let them go get the marker can. When they needed color pencils, I let them go get the colored pencil can and etc. The glue sticks and such had a big bin they all shared and they just went and got the right number and put it in an empty caddy spot. They put them away between projects. This was first grade.

11. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Does anyone happen to have pictures to share?

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

You could even use Crystal Light containers (tall plastic cylinders) or frozen juice cans (edges not sharp). These are FREE!!!!!!!!!!!

13. ohyougirl

ohyougirl Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

When I taught K, I only kept out pencils, scissors, and crayons in their table tubs. Markers, writing supplies, and glue were passed out as needed. I also used a trash bucket (sand pail) passed out as needed for each table so they could put their trash in it during projects then just one kid would dump it in the class trashcan when we were done.

I keep markers (a full set for each table works for me) in those plastic pencil boxes that are 50 cents at Target. Quick and easy to pass out!

14. kinderdl

kinderdl Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I have community supplies and I don't think I could ever deal with the hassle of having 22 sets of anything. I just buy those little colored caddies that have 3 compartments. I place scissors in one, pencils in another and crayons in the larger side. If you have older students, you could put the glue instead and use little white caddies for the crayons. I would not dare leave 5 year olds with a bunch of glue. LOL long 1st year teaching glue story.... Anyways, for the markers, I bought these small jars with lids at the dollar tree. They have colored lids and they match the colors of the caddies. I leave them on the shelf and when they are needed one of the students gets them. They are really organized and neat and the students know exactly what goes where. Clean up at the end of the day is a breeze and I have the children place the caddy in its place at dismissal. Great way for organization. Super easy!!!

If you can get to a target, Gardenridge pottery or lakeshore they have caddies there. I

15. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

clear plastic shoeboxes with lids

I taught a multiage classroom of third through fifth graders for the last three years (and will continue this same system with my fourth graders this year).

When I send home the supply list I explain to parents the type of classroom arrangement (tables, which allow for a community setting, sharing of supplies, including supplies that I have purchased, etc.)
    I ask parents not to write their names on their supplies and ask for very basic supplies like yellow pencils, 24 crayons, markers, etc.

**Warning** I have a lot of plastic shoeboxes in my classroom!

I have a clear plastic shoebox with a lid for each group. I have students dump their crayons in them. I have another box for markers and another for colored pencils. When we need these supplies I ask a student to go get a tub for their group. If you have younger students you might dump their supplies after school, it would be less traumatic.

As for the pencils, I had a small basket on each table with enough pencils for each person plus a couple of extras and an eraser for each. The extra pencils that students bring I keep in a clear shoebox. I hold on to the pencils or all of the pencils they bring in will disappear by Christmas.

Rulers-I gave up a few years ago and just ordered a class supply so they are exactly the same.

Notebook paper-I collect all of the notebook paper and have 2-3 trays sitting around the room and have my teacher's helper or a group member go get paper when needed. It beats having students digging in their desks all of the time.

Ya know, if our classrooms ever burned they would have to clear a 20 mile radius because of the toxic fumes from the plastic burning!!!! :lol:

16. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I am not sure if it was on here but I saw a great idea for supplies. A teacher got a restaurant to donate the kids cups with plastic tops. The crayons fit in the cup and the pencil will fit in the straw holder.

I have a basket on each table that contains pencils that are the colors of the chairs for the table. I have used chair pockets/seat sacks that my MIL made for me to hold their crayon bags, but I am not going to use those this year for sanitary reasons. I am going to have them put everything in their caddies. The caddy will contain one cup with everyone's pencil and a bag for each student that will contain a big eraser and their crayons. If crayons are found on the floor, the students are to put them in the extra basket.

We give our parents the option of paying a supply fee. Most of them do. Only a few will end up buying the absolute cheapest sorriest supplies from the dollar store that don't last a month. I give out a new pack of crayons at the end of every nine weeks.

I have a three drawer cabinet that I keep glue sticks and scissors in each drawer - one for each table. My leader will pass out the color coordinating supplies when needed.

17. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I am planning on doing "supply checks" this year. I will keep a small score board at the font of the room and randomly check the caddies. Any group that has kept their caddy neat gets a point. Once the group gets 10 points they all get a sticker. I teach first and find that little competitions motivate them. Plus since it's random they won't know if I am checking it Monday after gym or Friday before dismissal.