If you are still working or retired:

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2021

What things would you (or do) you miss about teaching?
    What is 1 thing you do not miss, or would not, at all?

I miss the lightbulbs going on in the students' eyes. I miss how we had a fun lunch group in my room for years. I miss most of the students.
    I do not miss the way they took consequences out of our school. I do not miss having to clear the classroom. I don't miss the petty arguments people had.

3. Mountainjoy

Mountainjoy Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

I miss the joy of connecting with kids. I don't miss helicopter parents.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2021

I miss the paycheck. I don't miss scripted lessons and scripted administration.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 28, 2021

I'll miss my kids. I can't wait until I can sleep late (or as late as my dogs will let me).

6. Colliemom

Colliemom Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

I miss exciting kids about learning, creating lessons and projects for my curriculum, and spending time with the kids.

I don’t miss meetings, deadlines, in-services, difficult parents, and administrators who like to create unnecessary work for us.

7. Muffymay

Muffymay Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

Ditto what Colliemom said!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2021

I’ll miss the kids and work friends. I won’t miss the PITA parents & kids or the non-teaching stuff.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2021

I'm still working, but for many years now I haven't worked at all in the summer. I do better on a more structured schedule. I enjoy sleeping in for a bit after school gets out, but then a couple of weeks into summer I usually have severe issues with insomnia. I also feel restless/bored even if I make a point to make many social plans. Teaching makes me feel like a "productive member of society" and I miss that sense of purpose in the summer. I have thought about how retirement will likely be hard for me! I will certainly have to seek out volunteer opportunities, as well as social things that are more regularly scheduled and not just here and there when I can make plans.

As far as what I won't miss, that's easy. Obsession with data and state testing. My current school does a better job than others I've been in as far as the state testing piece goes, but still the data, data, data in other areas. I spend so much instructional time taking data.

10. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 30, 2021

I’d miss the rapport with the students and teaching them stuff they thought was cool and I’d definitely not miss having to deal with unreasonable parents and colleagues who have lost the plot. I love the teaching part, that’s why I got into the job, it’s the other parts that make you want to tear your hair out. Lately though, there seems to be more of the latter and less of the former.

stargirl and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Oct 30, 2021

I'm still teaching.
    What I'd miss: those lessons that work perfectly and get the kids get really excited and engaged--and sometimes it's not the lessons you'd have expected to be such a big hit!
    What I wouldn't miss: stressful parent conferences/demands. Also, teacher observations and formal evaluations--just stressful all around.

12. luvtulearn

luvtulearn Rookie

Oct 30, 2021

I really miss "the good old days" where academics was first and foremost and we were allowed to differentiate according to how it was actually beneficial for the child. . I do love being back substitute teaching but I could not do this job full time .. .hook, line, and sinker anymore.

13. Singvogel

Singvogel Rookie

Nov 1, 2021

I would miss the actual teaching and crafting lessons. I will not miss the data, data, data, testing, testing, testing. (And the funny thing is that my students do very well.)

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 1, 2021

I have about 20 more years to go but I would definitely miss the fun projects and lessons. I love creating them. I won't miss state testing and stupid rules made by people who don't even work directly with students.