If they can't find you a sub....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Apr 1, 2015

should you get charged for the day? We sometimes have to get random T.A.'s to cover for teachers who are out because we just can't get enough subs in the county.

We have been debating about whether the county should take a sick day if technically they didn't pay someone to sub for your class.

I can see both sides to this. I could see it being taken advantage of, but I also don't think it's fair that they "charge" us for a day when they are really out nothing.

Does this ever happen at your school? Interested in hearing opinions.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 1, 2015

If you are out sick, you are not working, so yes, you should be charged. It doesn't matter how your class was covered. Any job you have will make you take sick leave or leave without pay if you aren't there.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 1, 2015

If we are out, we lose a day. It doesn't matter if we have a sub or not. In fact, some teachers never get subs, as a matter of policy. They still lose a day. Seems appropriate to me. I don't think it'd be fair for those teachers/staff who aren't allowed subs to keep all of their sick days simply because they don't need a sub. Same goes for our paras. They are allowed subs, but they rarely get one. It would kill our sped teachers and kiddos if those paras just got free days off simply because no one picked up their sub job. In my opinion, it's not about whether the district is out of money due to paying for a sub. It's about it being a day that the teacher/staff is off of work.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2015

this:thumb:

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 2, 2015

Agreed. The only time we're not charged is if we took a day and it turns out to be a snow day. Some schools don't even do that.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2015

Someone has to cover your class when you aren't there. Yes, you should be charged.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 2, 2015

I don't understand why somebody wouldn't get charged a sick day here. How would it even be a question? You're out of work, sick. That's a sick day. Whether they get a sub, have an IA fill in, or use your classroom as a social experiment on the behaviors of unattended children, that doesn't change the fact that you were out sick.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2015

Exactly. When I call out sick - regardless if it is a sub or other teachers have to cover my classes - then I expect those hours (7.08 exactly) to be taken from my sick bank. We accumulate hours here so they take hours instead of days.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 2, 2015

I agree that you should get charged.

Now, in my area, if you take a personal/annual leave day, not a sick day, then you get charged AND you have to cover the cost of the sub. So you use a personal day and your own pay gets docked. Unless it is a scheduled holiday.

I don't think you should have your pay docked if a sub doesn't cover your classes. But it happens. I've even had coworkers tell me that on exam days, when a teacher does not have a scheduled exam and no students to monitor, they have been docked for sub pay.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 2, 2015

Couldn't have said it better myself!

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 2, 2015

I guess I've never seen this sort of system. At my school, we get 10 PTO days to be used as one will use them, be it a sick day, mental health day, or heading out to ComicCon. They are simply part of the benefits system. Like many other careers, you get 10 paid days where you don't have to be at work. Use them wisely.

The school has a good sub pool, but actually prefers to use the teacher aids and paras if they're ever willing--just because it saves money on a sub. If I'm correct, the paras "subbing for the day" get paid extra for the extra duties, but it still saves the school a lot of sub money.

Now, if one runs out of PTO days and gets sick, one simply has to take leave without pay and I find that perfectly fair.

But, hey, you chose to take a PTO day (even if it was because you were sick because PTO days includes the event of sickness and afflictedness) so whether it be an aide or a substitute pulled in, that day gets marked from your PTO bank.

I do hate the idea of teachers paying out of their salary for subs as I've heard some districts do, but if we're just talking your sick days/PTO days, you're not at work, it's a sick day/PTO day.

As far as the school not finding a sub, I do think it's the school/district's job to keep a good sub pool. Not finding a sub should be a rare problem.

13. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 20, 2015

I still am out a sick day. The school has to find a way to cover for me not being there. If they do not get a sub, an educational assistant covers. If the school has the $$ they pay a differential. Usually the ea gets comp time.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 20, 2015

Said perfectly! :agreed:

15. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 21, 2015

Many classes get covered at no cost to the district at the high school level.
    Instead of paying subs or other teachers to cover for a teacher who is out, they will rotate five subs assigned to five other teachers to all work during their prep periods.

This way a teacher with five periods will have five different subs, who are each working an extra period for no additional pay.

At least one of my three districts is kind enough to pay us for the extra period.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

When I'm out my aides cover my class but obviously I am charged a sick day. You can't expect something for nothing!