If their is an entire unmotivated class

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Charlie Trahan, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Charlie Trahan

Charlie Trahan Rookie

Sep 20, 2019

While doing a student observation 8th period was consistently unmotivated. Its the end of the day so I imagine that doesn't help. In this particular class there are a lot of 504 and students with IEP. How would you motivate this class? Space is tight in the classroom and they seem to feed off eachother easily. Sometimes they work great in spurts then side track QUICK and its off and on between tables so the entire class is never consistently working at once.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Sep 21, 2019

I’m a math teacher and so often create several problems that intrigue students and are significantly more interesting than the standard examples that textbooks give.

I’ve noticed that when I present really interesting scenarios mathematically that their attentions are immediately drawn to me. It is incredible.

My recommendation is to do something fun and engaging as often as possible.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Tired Teacher and Charlie Trahan like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2019

Based on the makeup of that class, perhaps part of the off-task is because it's not something that's at their level, or they're so used to constantly struggling that they'd prefer to avoid the task at hand.

Make sure your work meets them where they're at (especially if it can be low-floor / high-ceiling type of work), and as future said, ensure that the work is engaging in some fashion, especially given that it's the end of the day.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Sep 26, 2019

I'd try to make the lessons more engaging. Sometimes off task behavior is because the work is boring, dull, too hard, or too easy. Just something to think about.

Tired Teacher likes this.