If the federal government does shut down Friday...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2011

According to www.news12.com :

"What a government shutdown means
    Federal agencies are in danger of shutting down if an agreement is not reached by midnight Friday on a budget. A shutdown would affect many services considered non-essential and could have a wide-ranging economic impact.
    Services that WOULD be affected:

The Internal Revenue Service would suspend processing paper tax returns, but would still handle electronic returns. Its tax hotline would be turned off and tax audits would be suspended.
    IRS

The FHA, which guarantees about 30 percent of home mortgages, would stop guaranteeing loans. The White House says the issuance of government-backed loans to small businesses would be suspended.

National parks would be closed.

The Environmental Protection Agency would cease issuing permits and stop reviewing environmental impact statements which will slow approval of projects.

U.S. military personnel would not get paid beyond Friday. However, they will continue to earn money that would be paid once the government resumes business.

Passport offices will be closed.

Staffing across the executive branch will be cut significantly, including workers at the White House and civilian employees at the Defense Department. The White House says about 800,000 workers will be affected.

At the National Institutes of Health, groundbreaking medical research would experience a disruption. Patients already being treated at the facility in Bethesda, Md., would still get care, but new patients won't be admitted. No new studies of drugs or other treatments would begin.

Federal courts will not hear cases as employees such as clerks, stenographers, bailiffs and security guards will not be at work.

Most government websites won't be updated, unless the websites and information was considered to be essential.

Services NOT affected:

Under long-standing federal rules, agencies would not be affected that provide for U.S. national security, dispense most types of federal benefit payments, offer inpatient medical care or outpatient emergency care, ensure the safe use of food and drugs, manage air traffic, protect and monitor borders and coastlines, guard prisoners, conduct criminal investigations and law enforcement, oversee power distribution and oversee banks.

Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries will still continue to receive benefits. Payments to doctors, hospitals and other service providers could be delayed, however, should a shutdown continue for several months.

Mail will still be delivered.

Compiled with AP wire services "

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2011

Crossing my fingers here!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2011

Me too.

It won't affect us directly; our federal return has been in the bank for a good 2 weeks. And none of the other areas would effect us unless it extended for quite some time.

Still, it's frightening.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2011

Interesting. I never even thought of things like the National Parks. That could immediately impact many people...

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 6, 2011

I don't know that I would even notice a shutdown...I can't think of any way it would affect me directly.

That's pretty crazy, though.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2011

We can last for years without Big Brother.....

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 6, 2011

Right, I won't be directly affected at the moment either. But with all that change, it's a lot of important stuff and makes me feel really anxious. :/

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2011

Well, I have kind of a vested interest in cancer research.

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2011

My youngest son's passport is still in Limbo land somewhere. We may not actually take our trip overseas now but it concerns me anyway.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2011

Yeah, the passport thing jumped out at me. It doesn't effect us, but I can see it effecting an awful lot of people planning summer travel.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2011

No doubt cancer research is important.... as are hundreds of other programs......... I'm just in the MINORITY who believe the federal government is seriously BLOATED .....

For what it's worth.......I have a vested interest in cancer research also..... more then you or anyone else knows... I know cancer up close and personal.......

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2011

Seeing as how my husband is in the service and may not see a paycheck on the 15, I am praying REALLY HARD that the government does NOT shut down. In fact, after hearing that this may happen, I wrote to all my Congressmen. I know it probably won't do any good, but it made me feel better.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2011

STG, that's what just kills me. Oh, of course they'll keep working and bank the money, but won't actually see it until...? Frustrating for me, so I can only imagine what you feel.

15. smalltowngal

Apr 6, 2011

JustMe~we're worried about it. I just can't imagine not paying the people who are fighting for your freedom...and you aren't going to pay them? What would happen if they stopped doing their jobs until you actually paid them? How many illegal immigrants would get over the border? How many terrorists would get through? Scary.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2011

That's what I was thinking.

17. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Apr 6, 2011

My husband is also in the military and it frightens me how we'll pay our bills if he doesn't get a check! We'll make it work and have family to help, but it's a scary thought. I feel for the service members in Iraq/Afghanistan whose families will be affected. Scary times.

18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Apr 6, 2011

It will affect my family and me tremendously.

19. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 6, 2011

It would affect my daughter's child support. Her father is in the military.
    Once again, SO glad I filed my taxes ASAP! ALWAYS in Jan/Feb. when I file.

Someone told me that a rep. in Texas is trying to pass a bill to exempt military from being affected.

I also heard this happened in the 90's and only lasted for 5 days....

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2011

Yeah, it's happened before.

Of course, I thnk the FIRST thing to be cut is every single penny available to the members of Congress who will not or cannot meet a budget deadlne. They can take public transportation and live off their savings until they do the job they've been elected to do.

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2011

I remember when it happened before and I don't remember if affected me personally.

The PA one affected us more - BF didn't get paid for 2 months but was still expected to go to work every day.

In DE they lock the legislators in until they reach a conclusion. I think that's a good idea. Let's lock up the capital.

22. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 7, 2011

My DH is also active duty military and expected to show up for work, pay or no pay. We have a decent nest egg so we won't get behind on bills but obviously we don't want to have to dip into savings (even if we'll get it back eventually).

23. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 7, 2011

That's what I was thinking. If you can't finish your job when you are supposed to then you should receive consequences. Not let everyone else suffer!!

24. smalltowngal

Apr 7, 2011

And that's exactly what I wrote to my Congressmen!!

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

Alice... it close all the National Museums like the Smithsonian's (sp?). I know I read some where that some families with Spring Breaks coming up don't know what to do because they planned trips to DC to see some of those things...

I know not as important as our military, but does impact people as well!!!

It did shut down in 1995

Just a side note... what an interesting week for Obama to announce his re election campaign!!! :eek:

26. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 7, 2011

My brother is in the military so this will affect my family in the larger aspect. :(

27. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 7, 2011

:lol: :whistle:

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

I don't mean for it to start debate... just an observation....

Especially from the couple things that I've read approval rating went down for every body involved!!!

29. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 7, 2011

I didn't think you were nor am I trying to either. I just was thinking about the same thing yesterday when I first saw this post!

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

I didn't think you were either... Just wanted to be clear!!!

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2011

Won't affect me personally either.

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 7, 2011

I double checked this with Rockhubby, who volunteers with a branch of FEMA. NWS is considered essential for air traffic safety as well as for FEMA. We may not get constant weather updates like we do now, but if there's something severe out there, your weather radio will be abuzz.

:hijack:As a complete but temporary hijack, I urge everyone to get a weather radio and batteries to power it. It's more accurate than a tornado siren and more reliable than your television (especially if your power goes out).:hijack:

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

Thanks Cat... that's basically what that says.
    I need to get a NOAA radio... We had an alarm clock that was NOAA, but it kept going off & not for our area so we got rid of it!!!

35. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2011

I'm concerned about the U.S. National Debt. Currently it's around $14 Trillion. Anyone else concerned?

Any thoughts on how to reduce this staggering number..... or should we simply let it continue to grow unabated?

Watch the numbers grow and grow and grow ....... (You might want to wait for happy hour before taking a look...:))

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

37. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2011

I need to plug mine back in--I had the same problem, especially in the winter with different watches, etc. Now that it's storm season I should turn it back on.

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

I'm really not concerned about the "weather." There are more serious issues on my mind...like the people in charge of this country who can't get along. That's an issue I don't have an answer for...but I'll bet some of you do. If our "leaders" can't get along, acting worse than my Preschoolers, is there really any hope?

39. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Apr 7, 2011

40. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

I know there's more pressing issues... but when they are saying watch out for tornadoes... I'm a concerned about that!!!

41. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

Yeah, I know, tornadoes. I just watch the skies. Tornadoes are all around this area so I'm just used to what the signs are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.