If school is delayed due to cold, should the kids go outside for recess?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jan 8, 2014

I teach in a middle school. We did not go outside for recess any this week. My son is in elementary school. They went outside Monday, stayed in yesterday, and I was shocked to find out they went outside today. The temperature at lunch time was 12 degrees. They had a 2 hour delay because it was below zero this morning.

I find this completely ridiculous. My child just got over a 2 month long cold that the doctor said he couldn't "do anything for" because it was a virus.

Wouldn't common sense tell you that if the school is delayed due to low temperatures, you shouldn't take the kids outside? :mad:

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014

I'm sorry your son has been sick.

I think the answer to this question though depends on where you live and the type of cold weather gear that the kids have. Growing up, we definitely went out for recess if it wasn't below zero, but we also wouldn't have had a delay just because it was...

4. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jan 8, 2014

I honestly don't know. However, going outside in the cold doesn't cause people to catch a virus. I probably would have stayed inside with that amount of cold! We had a delay start yesterday and I didn't take the kids out (it was in the 20s). Today even though it was low 30s I still took them out. They all had coats, it was sunny, they needed the exercise, and our recess is really short so it was fine. Without knowing the specifics of the situation it's hard to say if it was a bad call or not. Perhaps on really cold days you could ask your son (especially if he's just been sick) to request being allowed to go to the library during recess?

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 8, 2014

We must be wimps here in Northern NJ. In every district I'm familiar with around here, the kids do not go out for recess if it's below freezing (32 degrees).

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 8, 2014

:yeahthat:

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 8, 2014

The idea of having children go outside for recess on a day where school was delayed for cold is absolutely baffling to me. Depending on the state, it's also illegal. State law here in VA doesn't allow us to go out if temp+wind chill are below 32.

8. Math

Math Cohort

Jan 8, 2014

I couldn't imagine being outside in 40 degree or less weather. So in short, no they should not. If the school was delayed then it obviously felt like y'all were in Antarctica. When you start getting low it is dangerous weather. If my PE teacher told me to go outside I'd opt for the main office at that point.

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jan 8, 2014

It depends on the weather at recess time. It's very likely it could warm up enough to meet the requirements for outdoor recess.

10. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 8, 2014

Recess.......
    What's recess???:huh:

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2014

Here, in Michigan, each district sets a temperature limit. It is usually pretty low- 15 degrees or so. BUT kids around here come to school with snowpants, boots, heavy coats, gloves, scarves, hats, etc...
    In NC we had no rules. However, because my students never came to school adequately dressed, I didn't take my kids out unless the 'feels like' temperature was at least 45. I had kids that came all 180 days in shorts, and MANY didn't bring coats (I taught 5th, and later 2nd).

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 9, 2014

Sorry, I'm laughing at these 'dangerous' temperatures! It's so true that it's all relative. If we didn't go out if it was below 32 we wouldn't go out from October-May. It's all about the climate you are used to and prepared for.

My kids come bundled, so 'dangerous' enough to cancel classes is -49F. I think we stop going out for the full recess around -22F, but we might still send them out for a few minutes to blow off some steam. It's rare that we stay in the full day because of temperatures.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jan 9, 2014

I really do think it depends upon the area of the country. Living where I do, am absolutely amazed to hear that some district stay in when the temp is below freezing. Around here, our 'barometer' is whether the wind chill is below zero. We would have no problem sending kids out -even if there were a cold delay- if the temp warmed sufficiently.

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2014

We don't go out below 40, so if you are wimps so are we. At the other school I taught at it was 32 and below we didn't go out. I will say we do live out west so it is rarely below 40 so we go out most says.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2014

Where I grew up, we went out in any temperature. We were a hearty bunch. :)

Even so, if school was delayed due to cold weather, it seems silly to go ahead and send the kids out for recess--unless the temperature had increased significantly (or above the cutoff limit, if one exists).

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 9, 2014

Our kids go out side if the temperature is 10 degrees or warmer, including wind chill. It doesn't matter if school was delayed...It's pretty much black and white.

17. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jan 9, 2014

It depends on your location! In Iowa during winter it doesn't matter if its delayed...if the temp reaches 5 degrees (including windchill) we go out. However, we are used to the low temps!

18. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2014

When I lived in Colorado we went out unless it was heavily snowing or the wind chill was below zero or close to that. They closed the schools once wind chill was below -20 when I was in fifth grade. Here in California if it got that cold we would all be dead in our uninsulated poorly heated homes and due to lack of heavy duty warm clothes if it got that cold. However here we can take kids out in rain just so long as an adult is also willing to go out in the rain. We did not have the children out in the morning when it was below freezing for a week (first time in years), but that is partially because of the lack of heavy winter clothes for a majority of people including the adults.

19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 10, 2014

I think it also depends on the reason for the delay. If the delay is because it is too cold for kids to be at the bus stop, that's one thing. If the delay is so maintanence can check for busted pipes or to see if heating is working in the rooms before kids come, that's another. It would perfectly reasonable to delay school for the latter and still allowed kids to go outside.

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2014

LOL.:lol: As someone who has only taught secondary, I'm with you. Although, at my old K-8, we would let the kids have free playtime outside in the Spring. But that was more for the teachers' benefit than the kids.