If not teaching then....?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Scooterkins, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Scooterkins

Scooterkins New Member

Aug 18, 2008

With Florida's saturated applicant pool, along with budget cuts, it looks like this will be my second year "on the bench." I can't wait any longer and I need to find a full-time job with benefits, etc. My question is, what on earth will I do? I haven't the slightest idea of where to begin to search for jobs outside the field. Any suggestions?

3. vcreative

vcreative New Member

Aug 18, 2008

what are you interested in?

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 18, 2008

I signed on with a temp agency, and I'm also trying to sign on with more than one district for subbing. I've told the temp agency I'm interested in temp to perm jobs. I'm in the same boat as you, as California has the same problem. I really want to stay in the educational field, so I'll try subbing, but we'll see. I'm glad I have my faith, or else I don't know where I'd be. I do a lot of praying these days. It is getting immensely discouraging, to say the least. All I can say to you, myself, and everyone else out there is hang tough, keep applying like crazy, keep moving. Best of luck.

5. reverie

reverie Companion

Aug 18, 2008

I'm in the same boat... I have no idea what I'll do...

6. vcreative

vcreative New Member

Aug 18, 2008

Is it hard getting a teaching job up in the US?..I agree with nasimi77 - Keep Praying, there's power in prayer! Just an info, if there's an interest of moving; there's a lot of teaching jobs here in Australia.

7. tabasco4sale

tabasco4sale Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Are we allowed to teach there if we have an American accent?

8. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

Why would your accent matter? American schools recruit Canadian teachers, English schools recruit Canadian teachers and Australian schools recruit Canadian teachers. I don't see why they wouldn't want American teachers.

9. K-5Teacher

K-5Teacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I'm going into my third year without a job.... Have been an aide but now am going to attempt subbing to get my name out more. Definitely seems like it's harder and harder to find positions....

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 18, 2008

I think she was making a joke. :)

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 18, 2008

I would suggest maybe working for a district but doing something non-teaching...at least you're still in the district and once you are their employee you can usually have first crack at better positions that come up.

Look for anything else you're good at...or have an interest in. Good Luck! :)

12. ireland381

ireland381 Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I'm definitely in the same boat as well. Despite being a chemistry teacher, I'm going on a second year without a teaching job.

I subbed last year, and if you have the stamina to do it, it's probably the most sensible thing to do. But I was subbing in a really really bad area, and I wanted to tear my hair out by the end. If you've taught and then you sub, it's hard... you're bored most of the day, and it's frustrating being in school and not having your own classroom, your own set of rules, your own lesson plan. When I'm teaching my own stuff and my own kids, the hours just fly by... but personally, I do horrible with a job that requires me to sit around all day and babysit. So I'm not going to consider subbing again... that's just me, I'm sure most people have more testicular fortitude for it.

Meanwhile, I'm lost on what else to do. Everyone suggests tutoring, too, but I've done that through a tutoring center and I just couldn't get enough hours or enough pay to get by. I suppose private tutoring yourself could be profittable, but I don't even know where to start with that.

I'm looking at jobs at the local science center at the moment... a lot of it is teaching related. Other than that, I'm clueless.

I'm still waiting to hear back (hopefully) today about a 0.6 FTE job! With school starting in two weeks, it's about the best I can hope for now.

13. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 19, 2008

What about something in the human services? Thats what I do...

14. GradSTUDENT07

GradSTUDENT07 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I understand how you feel Im in South Florida. With the cuts its really tough. Maybe you could try looking into a Substitute pool position; at least its a steady pay check. I used to work for a daycare; not the best pay but its something. You might want to try looking into Florida state jobs even with budget cuts some agencies are hiring. Get out there and network, network, network. Call anyone and everyone who might be able to help you and if they can't ask them if they know someone. For me I have a deep personal relationship with God and I know one day I will be a teacher. Its my faith during these tough times that keeps me holding on. Take care and best wishes~ have faith something will come through.